Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? Massive W.A.S.P. fan

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Cheshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To Play Guitar Well

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? All the new stuff arriving today Marshall MG30CFX plus Epiphone Slash copy

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Paradise City by GNR

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all

Q1:  Where did you username come from? I'm tall and have a beard

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Southampton

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play more

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My TW73E Acoustic

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? A toughie but I'd have to say Since I've been loving you by Zeppelin

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?

just an old nick that stuck

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

North London

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

it sits somewhere between topping johnny marr, vini reilly & bert jansch - or merely play one of their song as a start
    or just revive that feel when i first heard 'air france - karibien' for the first time in my life

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

my beaten up jag

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

the durutti column - finding the sea
    Trading feedback here
  • Hi Everyone, I’m Andy.

Q1: Where did your username come from?
    I have knee joint problems and walk with a stick and a limp, hence HopALong.

Q2: Where in the world/country are you?
    Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England, UK.

Q3: What’s your main musical ambition?
    To play my own solos and be able to improvise.

Q4: Your “best” bit of gear - just the one? 
    I would say my Hondo classical which I bought when I was 13 (1983) with my birthday money and it still sounds as lovely today as it did in the shop.

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?
    Tough choice, I will have choose one that’s probably been said a million times, but Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    John here.

Q1 No idea.
    Q2 Leodis West Yorkshire,England,U.K.
    Q3 To improve just get more proficient etc.
    Q4 Old standard  Mexican tele.
    Q5 The The Uncertain Smile.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Some more welcomes-to-the-forum

@Jkwds ; -  if you're building up the guts to play in public, keep an eye out for one of our friendly jam meet-up sessions.
    @DeeplyDazzled - 12 guitars is far too few to support a mid-life crisis, but we can help you with that
    @mrspanky34 - probably shouldn't ask how you got a school nickname of Mrs Panky34 ...
    @homerun66 - you're going to discover plenty of fx here - one of the more active parts of the forum
    @edwn - "botany-oriented prog folk endeavours" ... you can't say that and then not post any soundclips!!
    @harry - I think perhaps I'll start learning guitar when I hit 56 - maybe I'll get it right second time around?
    @waspfan - please promise us all that you *never* play your favourite track when demoing gear in a shop?
    @TallBeardy1 -  you realise that you can't change your username if/when you shave?
    @Neurone - topping Johnny Marr would be welcomed by some ...
    @HopALong -  acoustics often do seem to improve with age - more so than electrics
    @Clashman - welcome :)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Guys, my name is Tony, some of you may know me as Ant... I worked with Jeff and manage Machinehead in Hitchin for about 15 years. Now I have my own guitar shop in Huntingdon  www.musicstreet.co.uk - call in sometime!

Q1:  Where did you username come from?
    Lack of imagination

UK, Cambridgeshire

To get back to being able to play the guitar again.. it would also help me do my Job

My go to guitar was always a custom shop 62 Strat 

Too many to choose but "I'm Buzzed" Michael Landau is a great guitar track

Tony R | Owner of Musicstreet | Email: tony@musicstreet.co.uk | Twitter: @musicstreetuk | Facebook: musicstreetuk | Website: www.musicstreet.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited December 2017
    Welcome @TonyGTR  good to see you on here mate. I have known Tony for many years and he is an all round good egg. Taught me guitar for a while so it’s all his fault ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Hello All

1) My own name (keep things simple)
    2) Cambridgeshire
    3) To have musical ambition! (or at least play live again sometime)
    4) The elusive one I haven't got yet, or perhaps my Jazzmaster
    5) Err... difficult... "The Ecstasy of Gold" Ennio Morricone (hardly any guitars in it, but good music is good music)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m Andrew, 33. I’m a Russian poet and musician. For some time, I've been practicing the Transcendental Meditation. I also write songs in English because I love this language. Feel free to correct my English grammar.  

Andylogos means Andy (my name) + Logos (word, though from Greek)

I live in Moscow, but I'm going to live in UK. That's down the road.

To be an English poet, singer and songwriter. 

The American Stratocaster Deluxe Neck by Fender.

Yesterday by Paul McCartney.

I used to play in an unintentionally Spinal Tap-esque metal band, where I was dubbed "Wolfgang Amadeus Bastard". (I have also been addressed by the stage name "Dorothy" in the past, just to keep things in balance. Aren't people cruel?)

UK, Bristol

Either to carry on gigging with my best pals until I die, or to actually get a decent album's worth of songs recorded. Or both... 

Probably my Washburn WI66 Pro. Lovely to play, and not too precious to take slumming it round the pubs..

This week? Hendrix, All Along The Watchtower

• Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Its a condensation of my name - Mark STefan Johnson

Guildford, Surrey, UK!

To play with other great musos and no feel like a complete imposter.

TimeLine. Those that can't play.... cake everything in delay.

Killing in the name of - RATM - Rage and Radiohead were my musical awakening.

Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • Frank_BlankFrank_Blank Frets: 5
    edited December 2017

Hi

My name is Frank and I'm one of those annoying people who buys too many guitars despite not really being able to play them, I'm a bass player really so I have decided to concentrate on my bass playing and sell the guitars that are cluttering up my room even though they look lovely!

My name is Frank (Blank), hey (presto).

UK / Essex / Southend on Sea, sorry.

Just happy writing and playing my own songs in my little band.

Just discovered the Taylor Mini-e Bass and it’s a game changer for me which is why I’ll be advertising a lot of gear on here.

At the moment Liveable S*** by Sleaford Mods

• I'm Garry from Oxfordshire. Retired early last year after 35 years as a professional youth worker. Was lucky enough to establish quite a number of music projects for young people including international bands exchanges, rehearsal and recording facilities, tuition, a credible youth music venue and annual Rock in the Park events etc.

The guitar has perhaps been the number one influence on my life having played in RnB bands since I was 18. Am a new user of this forum (despite signing up a while ago) and already impressed with the camaraderie and support from fellow muso's

Having spent a lifetime fiddling with guitars I attended the excellent Totnes School of Guitar Making in 2012 (Where there's a Phil there's a way!) and now build, repair and customise guitars for pleasure and the local music fraternity from my own well equipped workshop.

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Was dubbed Molehand Plank Spanker years ago due to a perceived heavy right hand attack. Rumours that I use kerbstones as plectrums and railway track as strings are unfounded.

Oxfordshire UK

To play live as long as I can (oxygen, defibrillator and donor card are in the gig bag ho ho) Am planning to record an album of my fave self honed and second hand RnB toons next year to mark my 60th. 

My custom 2x10" V front 25 watt Dominator style combo made especially for my 50th by the legend that is Jeff Lewis at Matamp. Spent a couple of fascinating weekends at Briggs Mill helping build it, well 99% of the time just watching and listening to see if I could catch Jeff taking a breath between sentences.  

Freddie Kings 1974 studio version of 'Sweet Home Chicago'

The fact I love strats

Romford

To play well enough people don't plug their ears

My Sunburst U.S. made strat

Tightrope, SRV

"Pick your noses up!"
  • TTony said:

The Fabulous Riverboat books by Philip Jose Farmer (still a good read)

The United Kingdom of Brexit Despair!

To get well and start playing again

Difficult choice but I'll go with my American G&L ASAT Deluxe from around the millennium (can't remember the exact year off the top of my head). A great all rounder and looks delicious! :)

Layla, from Layla and Other Love Songs

The Ethical

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  •  Hi, not sure if I’m doing this properly as I haven’t joined a site like this  before. So here goes, my name is Julian and i’m a fairly ancient blues guitar player who also collects amps and guitars. I play in the band of a large (80) gospel choir and also write and record.I live in Nottingham.  
    In answer to some of the questions:
    1. My user name comes from my favourite playing guitar which is a custom Luxxtone Choppa S. It is a wonderful combination of a modern and vintage strat with lollar blackface pickups.
    2. I live in Nottingham but work part of my time in Sheffield teaching architecture.
    3. My writing ambition is to develop a way of writing blues base songs about contemporary issues - social, political and sometimes humorous. My playing ambition is to get as good as I can before I can play no more!
    4. I have a number of great guitars, one is the Luxxtone and others are  a Nash and Trussart strat and a Trussart Deluxe Steel-caster. Best amp is a 1964 Deluxe Reverb that has been modded by Cesar Diaz, but also enjoying myself with a Kemper at the moment as it works very well for the Gospel Choir..
    5. My number one track - anything on Hard Road, lots of Live At Slims by Joe Louis Walker and the best solo - the very short Clapton solo on I Feel Free.

there seem to be another 10 questions so I’ll have a go at those too!
    1 First guitar - a les Paul junior dc that I bought when I was living in the States in the late 60’s.

2 Guitar to save in a fire - the Luxxtone 
    3 Oldest Guitar: 1959 Esquire
    4 Next Guitar: A Luxxtone Telecaster
    5 Strings: Paramount - haven’t broken one yet and I’m really trying
    6 Change to a Recording: Redo the solo on one of my latest songs - and relax while doing it.
    7 5 mins before going on stage - find some gum
    8 After: Definitely a drink
    9 Worst thing that happened on stage: Fell backwards off the stage whilst playing keyboards- ouch
    10 Advice to Younger Self: Take learning scale and fretboard fluency seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Welcome @wabster - promise that no-one here will call you Dorothy.  Ever.  Actually, I can't promise that.
    Welcome @markjohnson - though you know that already!
    Welcome @Frank_Blank - nothing wrong with being from Southend - one of my favourite guitars comes from there.
    Welcome @Plankspanker - if you get it recorded and ready to release, remember to plug it here!
    Welcome @strat1990 - if your u/n comes from your love of Strats, I'm guessing that you've got nearly 2,000 of them?
    Welcome @the_ethical - even if you did mention that which should not be mentioned in your intro ;)
    Welcome @Luxxman - and wisdom for spending Christmas Eve here, rather than panicking around shops somewhere.

Welcome all.
    :)
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? Middle name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Nashville via Sydney via London

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To continue going deaf for a living.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? A Les Paul made from bits out of the Gibson repair dept dumpster

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? (I'm ) Stranded / the Saints

Welcome @Bramley  if only to prove that I'm sober enough to spell, and at work today!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom