I hate Tom Quayle!

What's Hot
Just spent the day filming videos for Dawsons with Tom. I now hate him. To set the scene, it's in their new unit. It's 10.30 AM and about 2 degrees outside. 2.5 degrees inside. First thing he does is offer me a cup of tea to warm me up. We have a chat and get set up. He does some playing that I can only describe as biblical. Remember it's freezing. He gets me to play. I'm that cold I can barely fret let alone play anything. We get through the videos and he is nothing but complimentary about my playing. We chat more and he gives me some of the best advice I've had on playing, youtube, hair loss and general life.

He's literally the nicest guitar playing type person I've ever spent time with. I hate him. Why couldn't he be that talented AND and git. Hate him. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Comes across as one of those guys who is a blinding player but just really normal with it - glad he is!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    Nice guy, way better player than I'll ever be... but my word, his playing bores the tits off me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice guy, way better player than I'll ever be... but my word, his playing bores the tits off me...
    I appreciate his "thing" can get boring quite quickly. Bit like Yngwie. However, that's what pays the bills. Guthrie is the same. Loads of notes and quirkyness gets peoples attention. When Tom is just jamming away, his chord improvisation and rhythm is spectacular and anything but boring. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Sounds like a fun day's work.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    And now we all hate you. Get a proper job!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Met him years and years ago.

Properly brilliant guy all 'round and a truly stunning player.
    Now I hate you because I would have loved to be there!
    ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I love Toms playing, the stuff I've heard is off the beaten track. Not for everybody I guess but then true muso's are never as popular as the Noel Gallagher's of the world.
  • I used to think legato was my strong point (helped by the fact that I'm left handed but play right handed).

Then I started working through his 51 Modern Legato Licks DVD. What a bastard.

It's not a competition.
  • His technique is simply awesome.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Doesn't he play with a slightly odd tuning..?  Does anyone know what/why? 
  • Neill said:
    He tunes his guitar in fourths.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Is he still trimming his beard really high so it looks like sideburns meeting in the middle?.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2248
    edited February 2018
    CarpeDiem said:
    Neill said:
    He tunes his guitar in fourths.
    Yes the first time I ever heard about it was many years ago when Dan Armstrong referred to it.
    It's also used by Alex Hutchings.

It's logical as a method of visualising patterns and intervals and avoids the warp in that patterns that occurs between the 3rd and 2nd string, as a result of those being tuned a 3rd apart whereas all the other adjacent strings are tuned a 4th apart.

I've considered it, owing to it's symmetry, but it's too late for me to change now. Also, although it makes sense for single note lines, I'm not sure how well suited it is for playing commonly used chords.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice guy, way better player than I'll ever be... but my word, his playing bores the tits off me...
    I appreciate his "thing" can get boring quite quickly. Bit like Yngwie. However, that's what pays the bills. Guthrie is the same. Loads of notes and quirkyness gets peoples attention. When Tom is just jamming away, his chord improvisation and rhythm is spectacular and anything but boring. 
    Guthrie's personal preferred style is (for me) as boring as hell - but give him a project to add to and his playing can be magical (Steven Wilson). I kind of wish someone could place that kind of imposition on Tom as well, if it's been done then point me at the music!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Never heard of him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Mind-bending technique, but also mind-bendingly dull after about 3 minutes.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    People may scoff at his technique but personally I'd prefer that than meander through the same tedious blues licks for ten minutes.

He does seem like a lovely affable chap.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Dopesick said:

He does seem like a lovely affable chap.
    That bit is very true.