Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what you do you want from Youtube guitar content?

What's Hot
I'm planning a load of content for my channel and just curious as to what you lot want to see. I realise the market is completely saturated and pretty much everything is out there but there has to be something you've looked for and said "I wish I could hear/ see this". Any suggestions welcome and I'll chuck it in the pot. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    being able to hear the riffs being shown without the audio being banned regionally for copyright infringement would be a start....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Do you mean someone playing them or the actual track? Can't say I've ever come up against that. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716

Demos of gear with sensible rhythm parts that you would actually play rather than meaningless noodling.  You see so many pedal demos that are just pointless noodling, when most of us spend 95% of our time playing rhythm.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Got ne tabs m8? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:

Demos of gear with sensible rhythm parts that you would actually play rather than meaningless noodling.  You see so many pedal demos that are just pointless noodling, when most of us spend 95% of our time playing rhythm.

Certainly something I've always tried to do. Still noodle cause, you know, fun, but always did my best to focus on rhythm parts. Same on acoustic stuff. While the Tommy Emmanuel thing is really impressive, most of the people playing acoustic guitar will be strumming Wonderwall.

• Easy say what you don’t like isn’t it! 

Just with gear, tone type stuff a lot of it ( I’m thinking particularly the U.K. channels) gets stuck in the idea that we only listen to a very narrow range of music - particularly modern metal, da blues* and a narrow band of classic rock - although when it comes to delay pedals apparently all guitarists only want to sound like The Edge.**

Andy from PGS/Reverb probably the best at thinking outside the box a little although I know he gets stuck in a bit of a dad rock rut that some people don’t like. 

So, a bit of thinking wider in terms of that.

A bit of how you create sounds and alternative ways of doing it rather than being fixated on a single piece of gear at a time ( without necessarily going down the dodgy sounds like route). 

Very, very specifically I must have watched every reggae and ska tutorial on YouTube and they are all shit. There are plenty of people who play this stuff well so do a video with one of them, make it clear and definitive and there’s ad money there! 

* modern god awful blues, no one ever goes this’ll be great to sound like Hubert Sumlin or Hound Dog Taylor. 

**I don’t. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    A Sideick....Yes, all the successful YouTubers have a sidekick  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Demos where they're not using so  much gain that it hardly matters what the hell they're playing.
  • Lots of good suggestions. 

One thing I would like is to hear a raw recording - I want to hear the natural sound of the amp, not a recording that has been polished up with lots of EQ etc added afterwards. 

I hate demos that sound too slick with lots of overdubs added in (eg Pete Thorn, Mike Hermans), you never get a good impression of what the piece of gear sounds like in a real setting. 

I want to hear riffs without any drums or backing, stuff like single note riffs and power chords.  I like to hear lead lines being played without any backing either - just so as the listener can get a clear impression of what the gear sounds like. 

You could add in the backing track afterwards of course, but it would be nice to have some playing without any kind of backing track, kind of like what Andy does with PGS.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    I like a lot of the stuff JJ Tannis does, short sweet and to the point, not too much playing just enough to demonstrate the pedal being reviewed, always starting with the unaffected amp tone and generally demos what happens when you use the guitar vol and tone.....
    Clear, concise and useful......

I asked a seller of effects on here recently for a demo of his new Fuzz pedal, it was awful, poor sound quality of the pedal, which was flat out, no idea if all the distortion came from the pedal or not, no idea if it cleaned up from the guitar, no idea of the effect the pedal knobs had.....needless to say I didn't buy, but equally I could have missed a gem....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2018
    I've been playing a year.

I like ...

* short, sweet tutorials that show one thing, say why it matters, and give me something to practice.
    * I'm currently learning the You Shook Me All Night Long solo, there are numerous tab driven tutorials but I am using the one below because it is ear and vision driven (and also because Erich's a little cranky and makes me laugh). It may take me a little longer but I hope instead of just playing it like a mechanical monkey, I'll understand what's going on and will become a better musician at the end.
    * I find Mike Bradley watchable and entertaining too.

I don't bother now with the Chapman style "it's all about me" videos, total waste of time when I should have a guitar in my hands. And have absolutely no relevance to how I can play. (It's like all those extreme skiing videos where people do huge jumps and leaps off cliffs. Impressive, but not relevant to my pottering down red runs).

But don't overthink it - do what you want to do and can do well. Don't worry about "it's all been done" - everything, everywhere has all been done before. Take a step and see where the path leads.

HTH.

edit: this tutorial on the Shook Me solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NyMEapGnc
  • Don't try bad banter. Andy from PGS is 'cool riffs' dude....stick to that type of demoing.

No massive solos. Songs and riffs!

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    One other thought.  Assuming it's a gear demo, don't waffle for 5 minutes before you get into it.  Maybe a brief intro, but you should be actually demoing the sounds within 90 seconds at most.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    edited February 2018
    Huge intros really piss me off, Ive probably missed loads because I just turn it off.

Ads in the middle of videos grip my shit too, prob not in the control of the poster, but, you are really into what is happening then have to endure an advert.....where's the off button...again...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    Wants:
    Short and sweet, whatever the content.
    Demos with a range of different settings and uses, not just the personal favourite.
    Text on screen, eg for these settings, rather than long verbal descriptions.

Turn offs:
    Any intro which takes more than 5 seconds.
    False bonhomie.
    Stupid hats and clothing.
    Rambling.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The risk you take with banter is that it can sound a bit "Top Gear" i.e. shit. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625

Just two things for me:

Get to the point - the amount of YouTubers who roll the camera and settle into a lengthy drawl of self-obsessed non-chat drives me insane. Some chat is fine, but I can see it has a maple neck so there's no need to spend 2 minutes describing a maple neck, and Jazzmasters have always had those controls, so credit the audience with some basic knowledge.

Well recorded - but with no post-production.

Simples.

Peach Guitars is my fav at the moment.

• wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    I don't care so long as I'm told to drop a like and smash the sub button.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    edited February 2018
    Puppets. LOTS OF PUPPETS.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    A Sideick....Yes, all the successful YouTubers have a sidekick  B)
    Sporky said:
    See, this is the joy of brainstorming - Ross plus puppet sidekick. I think a plan is  coming together. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.