Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what you do you want from Youtube guitar content?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30127
    It worked for CBBC.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Sassafras said:
    Demos where they're not using so  much gain that it hardly matters what the hell they're playing.
    In complete agreement to this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1532
    edited February 2018
    I'd like to be told to subscribe more aggressively,
    More adverts,
    More biased gear comparisons, reviews and recommendations, with affiliate links "in the section below",
    Longer overall length, 3 to 4 hours please,
    Longer intros, 15 to 30 mins please, who doesnt love watching those every, single, frickin, time?
    Upload new videos 2 to 3 times per day (quantity over quality - hell yeah),
    More talking about nerdy details and specs, with less actual guitar playing, in fact dont even hold a guitar please,
    and of course would love to see more Rob Chapman.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Use of kit in a band context (unless it's been done already and I've missed it). Lots of stuff is too subtle for us Dog and Duck losers.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I don't want to hear the electric strings while the amp is also coming through. Assuming you're recording the amp through a mic or direct, please mute the room mic!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30127
    On a more serious note (though puppets do improve everything), don't spend the first five minutes waffling or telling anecdotes. No-one cares. If it's a gear show, show the gear. If it's a technique show, show the damned technique.

We don't care about your cat, unless it's a puppet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Puppets. LOTS OF PUPPETS.

Remember Guy Smiley on Sesame street? The game show host? At the end of every game show loads of cows and sheep would trash the set. Cool way to end your youtube videos right there.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16612
    If doing some kind of demo make it a comparison ;
    IE .......FLANGER .....play a short identical riff/ progression on 4 different Units side by side
    Any pedal/guitar/amp played in isolation has nothing to relate to or comparable to be judged by.
     The typical over-produced Mike Hermans type vid, good as they are, simply showcases one product.....anything will sound good in isolation if there is a bit of nice playing.......what we need to see is how much better or worse it is alongside a comparable alternative or what is generally acknowledged to be "best in class"
     Guitar demos such as Squire tele v Fender v Custom shop Fender v A quality partscaster etc
    Shnobel does a bit of this but he can be boring

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Try to make the playing a bit more interesting and exciting than Mike Herman's boring, robotic soulless playing. Is he playing while he's asleep? 
  • Dominic said:
    If doing some kind of demo make it a comparison ;
    IE .......FLANGER .....play a short identical riff/ progression on 4 different Units side by side
    Any pedal/guitar/amp played in isolation has nothing to relate to or comparable to be judged by.
     The typical over-produced Mike Hermans type vid, good as they are, simply showcases one product.....anything will sound good in isolation if there is a bit of nice playing.......what we need to see is how much better or worse it is alongside a comparable alternative or what is generally acknowledged to be "best in class"
     Guitar demos such as Squire tele v Fender v Custom shop Fender v A quality partscaster etc
    Shnobel does a bit of this but he can be boring

I’ve done quite a few comparison vids. Always interesting to see people’s reactions. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Use of kit in a band context (unless it's been done already and I've missed it). Lots of stuff is too subtle for us Dog and Duck losers.
    This is something I’m working on but it does cost money. I have a great space to do it in and some great musicians. Dan Steinhardt used to do it in his early vids. Something like that but up to date. Like I say though, it ends up costing money and not a small amount. It would need several manufacturers to be on board to make it worthwhile but the same vid could be used for each instrument. I’ve already done the sums and by the time you’ve payed the musicians, studio, camera crew etc for their time, you’re looking at well over a grand. I did 2 songs with my band for a promo vid and it took 2 and a half days to set up and shoot and another day to mix/ edit. It’s a big job which is probably why no one really does it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    Pedal usage that makes sense. 
    If it's a pedal that is for driving an already driven amp them I don't want to hear a crystal clear sound.
    Ambient miking. I've lost count of how many pedal demos I've head that have managed to make an amp/pedal/guitar combination that I know sounds amazing sound like a broken line 6 DI'd.
  • Pretty ladies
    Good guitar playing...

Mix them 2 together and you're on to a winner.
  • Also we should win prizes for watching/I'm kidding.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited February 2018
    I think you've had most of the best suggestions already but I'll add or back them up in my bullet points.

Andy from PGS style content - actual riffs not shredding or endless licks no one actually uses most of the time

Shorter videos

Short Intro or better yet, add the intro after a demo like PGS used to do

Show us the range of the pedals controls using a looper or something to play a continuous riff, this is better than playing then stopping to edit settings.

Please, always show us the bypassed sound (still amazed at some demos that fail this basic point)

Comparison demos are great, although appreciate this might be difficult.

Danish Pete!!

Use single coils/humbuckers in the same vid, I know you can't use all guitars, however Strat/Les in one. Or Tele/Ricky 330 in another etc.

Put other boring info at the end of the demo in text form.

If you do longer vids (which can be great) show us how to use a pedal like TPS do. I preferred their earlier 15 min videos on treble boosters, overdrives, clean boosts as an example. However even their 40 min vids are watchable, a 40 minute vid on a Variax through a Helix could be cool!

You're never gonna please everyone!! Good luck

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Oh and have Ariel Posen in as many vids as you can - guaranteed to make me watch