NGD - Another Strat :-)

What's Hot
GruGru Frets: 339
After coming to the conclusion that I prefer the Stratocaster shape for sitting on the sofa and playing (just more comfortable) and recently owning 4 guitars that's have all offered things that I like, I purchased something that combines as much as possible in 1 guitar.

What have I liked from previous 4 guitars:
Yamaha 112VM - maple fretboard.
Fret King Super S - slightly bigger neck, decent tuners, body contours.
Shine 510 - Humbuckers, tuners
Squier Affinity Strat - ease of setup, body contour, upgrade ability.

So what did I buy?

A fantastic used Fender Stratocaster Blacktop. Black body, maple fretboard. Completely stock.

Strings have now been changed, tremolo tightened down, US string guide, Fender California neck plate. As with all of the guitars I have owned, it will take a little while to get a good feel for it and setup how I want, but very pleased. My first official Fender.

Due to the range of music I like, all 5 positions will be used and it gives me the option in the future of upgrading if I feel like it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Sounds nice.I quite like the look of those Blacktops especially the Floyd equipped ones.Out of interest where did you get your US string guide from?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10068
    Pics or it didn't happen
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Can't remember the name of the shop, but was one of the guitar parts ones on ebay. They come as a pair but only used 1, so if you only need one, it's available if you need it.
    HAL9000;178921" said:
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Picture will be added tonight. :-)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Gru said:
    Can't remember the name of the shop, but was one of the guitar parts ones on ebay. They come as a pair but only used 1, so if you only need one, it's available if you need it.
    PM'd you mate.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Frets: 101
    How're you getting on with the Tele??
    Gru;178927" said:
    [quote="HAL9000;178921"]Pics or it didn't happen
    Picture will be added tonight. :-)
    [/quote]

Thinking about this, do I get any more credibility if I am holding the guitar in a playing position? I only ask as it seems to be working well for an current forum celebrity.
    The23rdman;179050" said:
    How're you getting on with the Tele??
    That's what I forgot to add above, the great gloss neck of the Tele.

The Tele is a great guitar but just not for me :-( it's got everything that I love about teles, but for some reason it doesn't excite me when playing. The edges don't make kicking back on the sofa very comfortable either and I really missed that from my Affinity Strat.

The Mustang I on the other hand is going really well, great little amp (forgetting that my beautiful little daughter decided to colour the control panel in with a rollerball)
    Fortunately the Tele which was next to it didn't get touched. Phew!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Nice guitar, these intrigue me. I have a love/hate/love/hate relationship with Strats. I always lust after one, get one and then go "meh not for me". I'm still at the lusting stage (again), but I've never owned a Strat with a humbucker in. Always S/S/S, I love the sound of 2,4 and maybe the neck pickup but I'm more of a Humbucker man at heart. So I was thinking of some sort of H/H guitar with a coil split arrangement? What are your thoughts on the single coil sounds?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Nice :D
    DrJazzTap said:
    Nice guitar, these intrigue me. I have a love/hate/love/hate relationship with Strats. I always lust after one, get one and then go "meh not for me". I'm still at the lusting stage (again), but I've never owned a Strat with a humbucker in. Always S/S/S, I love the sound of 2,4 and maybe the neck pickup but I'm more of a Humbucker man at heart. So I was thinking of some sort of H/H guitar with a coil split arrangement? What are your thoughts on the single coil sounds?

I checked out the guitar a lot on youtube before buying and from what I heard, positions 2 and 4 are good settings, I think it's 4 that sounds very Strat like. Mark at n stuff music video made me appreciate the tones that were available. What I do love is the zero hum and the fact that both pickups have individual tone controls so you can really dial in your sound. The only thing that could make it even better (this is being picky) would be a second volume control or switching so you could also get a neck or bridge individual single coils (inner or outer depending on switch position). But as I said this is being very picky on a guitar of this price. I am over the moon with the finish, the first mexican strat that I have picked up and thought wow.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I really like the idea if the blacktop series and that looks a great guitar. I'd get the HSH model but that's just personal preference. Nowt wrong with that one!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    Looks good to me.

But then I'm a sucker for a Strat.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    I love a black Strat and I've been tempted by one of these for a while.

Good score, sir.