PSA: cheap CDs

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1404
i may be hopelessly behind the times here but I discovered that Amazon are punting out CDs from about £3. Massively cheaper than iTunes and I picked up some Jeff Healey, No doubt, John Mayer and Iron Maiden but you do need to wade through the crap.
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    I do find it odd that you can often buy a CD from Amazon for less than the cost of the digital download alternative!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
  • TTony said:
    I do find it odd that you can often buy a CD from Amazon for less than the cost of the digital download alternative!
    Even more amusing that when CDs have autorip you get the download free with the CD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Charity shops FTW :). £1 or £2 a go, or sometime even less. You also never know what you're going to find, and sometimes it can be real gems or things you didn't even know you were looking for.

But you *really* need to wade through all the crap...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    ICBM said:
    Charity shops FTW :). £1 or £2 a go, or sometime even less. You also never know what you're going to find, and sometimes it can be real gems or things you didn't even know you were looking for.

But you *really* need to wade through all the crap...
    Amen to the crap! Local charity shop has *at least* 15 different albums of military band music!!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1404
    Conversely I was finding CDs for Paul Gilbert, Ritchie Kotzen, Andy Timmonds in the region of £20+. As if they think anyone in their right mind would pay that over and above a down load...... And no cheap gags please about why would anyone pay £20 for a cd by.....;-)
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    My local charity shop sells them for 50p.
    Trouble is, they're invariably rubbish.
    Sassafras said:
    My local charity shop sells them for 50p.
    Trouble is, they're invariably rubbish.
    The problem for me is that it's not quite invariable - it's a fairly low rate, but just high enough that I spend a hour or more every week in the four charity shops in my nearest town flicking through racks of them (and the DVDs) on the offchance I'll find something good. It's actually fairly rare to come away with nothing, although it has to be said I have a fairly broad range of taste...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Reminds me of record fairs in the 80s... you'd find multiple copies of the the same albums everywhere.

I've been lucky in some second hand record shops, but not often. Not had much of a success rate in charity shops though.
  • Reminds me of record fairs in the 80s... you'd find multiple copies of the the same albums everywhere.

I've been lucky in some second hand record shops, but not often. Not had much of a success rate in charity shops though.
    "Frampton Comes Alive".  One local charity shop in my area still has lots of LP's, CD's, Cassettes and the odd 8 track.  Most of the LP's are like "20 Country Hits", Glen Campbell, 101 Strings etc....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14810
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    i may be hopelessly behind the times here but I discovered that Amazon are punting out CDs from about £3. Massively cheaper than iTunes and I picked up some Jeff Healey, No doubt, John Mayer and Iron Maiden but you do need to wade through the crap.
    I still prefer a CD to a down load - something of substance on my shelf - I still like to read who is playing on that track - who wrote it - who produced it - etc etc  will have a look - yet such prices also tells me in a few years time I won't be able to buy a CD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just bought a brand new Charlie Winston album (recent too) for £3 shipped from Germany via ebay. Fopp also have new albums where you think, "how's that so cheap?" and a fair bit of that psychology is probably a holdover from the inflated prices of new albums in the 90's.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    music magpie advertise a lot of s/h CDs on eBay.  

Easier to search through those for what you want, rather than trawl through all the High St charity shops with a load of stuff you don't want.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Most CD's are worthless thesedays, if they can be found on spotify or youtube. Pick them up on ebay for next to nothing if you still buy them. I just sold a job lot of albums on ebay, about £25 of them, got about £4 in my pocket after all the fees. Took forever to sell too.

Only the rare tracks you cant find on streaming services are worth buying / keeping.
  • The stuff that is still expensive and unobtainable 2nd hand is from smaller labels like ECM, much of which you do not find on spotify. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23680
    rsvmark said:
    Conversely I was finding CDs for Paul Gilbert, Ritchie Kotzen, Andy Timmonds in the region of £20+. As if they think anyone in their right mind would pay that over and above a down load...... And no cheap gags please about why would anyone pay £20 for a cd by.....;-)
    Yeah, it's gone to both extremes.  A lot of back-catalogue stuff is really cheap, but a lot of new (or newish) releases, especially on independent labels, are £15 to £20.  Plus you get all the super-duper-deluxe editions for £80+.  And vinyl's expensive too (not that I've re-embraced it).

It's all a bit of a shambles.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12420
    The pricing is partly down to who it is aimed at.  Reissues are almost always aimed at huge fans of the bands in question or at collectors, who likely will not mind the £15-£40 cost of the CD version ,depending what is in it.

However just bog-standard Cd issues drop in price staggeringly quickly.  Unlike Vinyl, which is again aimed at collectors, CD remains horrible to store in it's original brittle jewel cases, and the plastic ages as well, going foggy, hence the rise of the Digipack, but this doesn't protect the discs as well from dust.  The discs themselves, early ones anyway, do decay over time!

Although CD isn't going anywhere, it is hard to justify having thousands around your house these days, when Spotify et al offer digital music so conveniently.

As has been pointed out, even Music Magpie have cut their offers for CDs and DVDs so much now that they are basically scrap value, if you have 10 CDs to get rid of, better save your time, maybe a charity shop will get £1 or £2 for them!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10016
    edited February 2018
    Most CD's are worthless thesedays, if they can be found on spotify or youtube. Pick them up on ebay for next to nothing if you still buy them. I just sold a job lot of albums on ebay, about £25 of them, got about £4 in my pocket after all the fees. Took forever to sell too.

Only the rare tracks you cant find on streaming services are worth buying / keeping.
    I disagree with that personally, I do find YouTube and Spotify interesting and useful, they never sound as good as putting a CD on and listening to it properly. I think that is a mix of sound quality and experience, probably more the latter.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I’m not going to stop buying CDs. I prefer to have something physical, as well as the higher sound quality.

Although I dislike jewel boxes I haven’t had any go foggy - breakage is the issue, and a large number from charity shops come that way - but they’re easily replaced anyway. As far as I know I’ve never had a CD decay... and I’ve been collecting them since 1989.

Digipaks aren’t the solution either, they fall apart.

• I still buy CDs - though I don’t have a CD player. I rip them to a NAS drive using DB Poweramp software and play the files via a quite high end (Naim) streamer. Compared to Tidal lossless - which is ‘CD’ quality - the ripped CDs sound better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom