the official shaving thread

What's Hot
After buying a bulk load of Derby Extra blades I am just not getting on with them... if any of you do then you are more than welcome to 60 new and sealed blades, postage costs would be appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    I'd like 'em if I may? PM me yer PayPal address and I will provide beer tokens.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1246
    The Derbys slash me to ribbons, don't know why.
    Astra Green are my favourite so far.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    I tried a Feather blade in my new razor t'other day. My face is a lot smaller now.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Basher said:
    The Derbys slash me to ribbons, don't know why.
    Astra Green are my favourite so far.
    I have found them the opposite, not sharp enough for my face and that is even on the Parker which houses a blade very close..

Israeili made and gilette 7oclock seem to like my face.
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    I used to know the head of product development at gillette and he pooh poohed my idea of 3 blades. Now there are 57 and razors look like harps. I like mach 3 best.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I haven't been clean shaven for about 10 years now. Usually a perpetual state of stubble.
  • Sporky said:
    I'd like 'em if I may? PM me yer PayPal address and I will provide beer tokens.
    Did you get my pm @Sporky ?
    I did - just about to pop some Paypal over. :)
  • I'm using Derby blades because I got a huge box for £10 when I bought my safety razor. They're OK but I've not really tried others.

What I really want is some nice shaving cream/soap to go in the lovely redwood bowl I got for Christmas. So, recommendations please.

Oh, and I might replace my Merkur HD with something else because it's getting a bit gummed up with limescale. Any cleaning tips? Any suggestions for a safety razor with a small head so I can get rid of the moustache under my nose easily.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28680
    I've got Derbys which are fine but I've never tried anything else. Might get some smaller packs of others just to try.

I'm currently using a Merkur 33C and Crabtree's Nomad soap, balm and aftershave.  Keeps the missus happy so I'm not changing :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I'm using the Crabtree soap as well, with Nivea face wash and after shave balm stuff.
  • I use Bluebeards Revenge cream or Proraso soap
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

what a bunch of girls...

whatever happened to shaving with a machette like propper blokes..

play every note as if it were your first
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1246
    I like Mitchells Wool Fat soap but, being a cheapskate, I'm just as happy with the Palmolive shave sticks. They're ten bob a pop and I smush them down into a bowl.

I reckon that my Edwin Jagger DE89, Semogue 620 brush and Palmolive soap perform brilliantly and are amazing value. You could spend a lot more and get a lot less - are they the Yamaha Pacifica of the shaving world?

Clarky said:

what a bunch of girls...

Threw mine away after attempting an ill-advised pubic trim. On the plus side the side effects got me into that Rush tribute band as Geddy Lee, so every cloud and all that...
    Clarky said:

what a bunch of girls...

The 90s.
    I use Bluebeards Revenge cream or Proraso soap

+ 1 for Bludbeards evenge cream. I was using theirpost shave balm too, but since it ran out I've just been using an Alum block.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

I'd like a proper nice silver tip brush too, but man o man are they expensive. Maybe looking for one in an Antique shop is the way forward ... or is that a bit icky?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    could have been worse.. you could have become a BeeGee
    play every note as if it were your first
  • viz said:
    I used to know the head of product development at gillette and he pooh poohed my idea of 3 blades. Now there are 57 and razors look like harps. I like mach 3 best.
    1 blade is enough. hairs get stuck between 2 or 3 and reduce their cutting efficiency.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself