Anyone have guitars with different neck profiles ?? Can I adjust to it ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited March 2018 in Guitar
I tried a tokai love rock today . It was a fantastic guitar , and the only thing I wasn't sure about was the neck profile .
My main (and only!) guitar is a 1990 les Paul custom . I've owned it since new , and the slim neck feels like home after all these years.
the tokai wasn't a baseball bat or anything , just chubbier , and therefore felt really different .
as I've been playing the same neck did years I don't know if I'll adjust to a thicker neck . It had 9s on which made it feel different too .
it was a great guitar , I just don't know if having a chubbier neck makes it play more like a bluesy guitar than a rock guitar.
im not a shredder or anything , but I play nwobhm/punk/ hardcore/crossover so I do play fast .

i wondered if anyone on here has any experience of adjusting to playing different neck profile guitars ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    Mine all have different necks 

It's fine  
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Sporky said:

It's fine  
    +1 - wizards all the way to j mascis jazz masters 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14742
    tFB Trader
    I would suggest that the more guitars you have the more different profiles you have - nut width + depth - many can be similar but still different

Unless you have 2/3 of the identically same guitar then I bet all your guitars are different

Of course some bond with one neck more than another - Different guitar necks can lead you to play in a different way as well
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I have a Strandberg and multiple traditional necked guitars. Takes no time at all to adjust.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16938
    I have had 6 strings with everything from 38-50mm wide and 19-31mm thick at the nut.

extremes take a little getting used to but 95% of guitars are between 42-44mm wide and 21-24mm thick at the nut.  It’s barely any difference at all

obviously the shape changes too and that has more impact on feel.  A broad shouldered D profile will always feel bigger than a C of the same dimensions... but V’s can make things feel deeper
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3095
    Sporky said:

It's fine  
    Me too from thinnish C 24" scale Mustang to Baseball bat to Vee pofile Strat necks, I get on fine with them all, all have different size fretwire too, it just doesn't bother me....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    While I generally prefer bigger necks, I can happily play anything - you might find over time a bigger neck starts to work better for you. At the moment, you’ll probably only perceive the difference in feel as a negative because it’s unfamiliar.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    All of my guitars have different neck profiles. I don't find it a problem.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • The biggest extreme I have is I’ve got an ESP/LTD thin U and a PRS wide fat and honestly it doesn’t take that long to switch between the 2. Doing some scales as warmup helps get your hand used to the different necks, 5-10 minutes of chromatics and scales and I find I’m sorted for the rest of the time I’m playing that guitar that day.

The only necks I’ve found to be an issue are the Baja neck - just don’t like the shape, and the Gibson 50’s profile, which I find just that bit too big. Otherwise I can play most other things.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I just have one neck that I keep fitting to different loaded bodies. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23562

Over the years I've gravitated to bigger and bigger necks and that's what I'd always choose on a new guitar.  But I still have guitars with various neck profiles (and different scale lengths).

I couldn't play something like an Ibanez Wizard, but I was playing a Tele with a fairly slim neck ('65 C) the other day and I must admit it felt OK.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2035
    I have more trouble with string spacing than neck profiles and especially if they're at different heights, like on a 7.25" radius.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited March 2018
    thanks for the input guys !

my well worn in and much abused custom feels familiar , I think the tokai just feels different , not better or worse , I also think the tokai feels different ad it's pretty much new , whereas I'm used to playing a well worn in guitar with loads of personality .

i reckon I just need to play it . A lot . I'll get used to it , and the more it gets worn in the better it will feel and the more personality it'll have .

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    You'll get used to any neck over time.  I've got 10 guitars, a classical, a bass, and several types of solid body electric.  I jump between several day with no trouble.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    I have a selection of guitars and basses; I find that different ones encourage me to play in different ways.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    I jump between several day with no trouble.
    I've been playing my Les Paul with the thinnest neck for most of the past week and a half, and suddenly I really notice the difference when I switch to the ones with fatter necks.

So I guess the trick is to play them all frequently.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Schnozz said:
    I have more trouble with string spacing than neck profiles and especially if they're at different heights, like on a 7.25" radius.
    Although I can adapt easily and quickly between profiles, such wizards to baseball bats, the one thing that trips me up for ten minutes each time is going from flat & skinny super strats to LPs, I just feel like I'm playing a ukulele. I'm fine after ten minutes though and swapping back the other way is like putting on some comfy slippers.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'd imagine most people with multiple guitars would have almost as many different profiles as they have guitars.

I bought an Am St Strat less than 2 years ago and if I bought another one now like I hope to (now rebranded Am pro) it will have a different neck profile.

I personally find that I only even really notice when thinking about it, when I'm concentrating on playing I don't even think about the neck profile.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    As a repairer I've played most of the neck shapes there are, probably - I used to think it didn't matter much, but as I've got older I've found that it does. It's quite likely my hands have stiffened up, and now I find necks that are too far from my ideal profile are uncomfortable, sometimes even extremely so and can cause real pain after quite a short time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    As a repairer I've played most of the neck shapes there are, probably - I used to think it didn't matter much, but as I've got older I've found that it does. It's quite likely my hands have stiffened up, and now I find necks that are too far from my ideal profile are uncomfortable, sometimes even extremely so and can cause real pain after quite a short time.
    That's what I'm worried about.