Ebay and Tokai's or Fakai's?

What's Hot
Hey guys

I don't know much about Tokai's.... but are these legit. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tokai-Electric-Guitar-Left-Hand-Handed-Tele-in-Sunburst/

I didn't think Tokai's had 8 digit serial numbers? 

any help would be greatly appreciated!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Any particular reason you posted this 4 times?
  • Because once just isn't enough!!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phew.  That's better.
  • Somethings wrong as its not telling me its been posted at all! Still sitting in my draft box!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Try clearing your cache- there are loads of them up there. :)
  • Its clear... oh dear that makes look like a right twat!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Still... if you any advice on the above???
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited April 2018
    Bootsclan said:
    Its clear... oh dear that makes look like a right twat!
    You're going to fit right in here. :D 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Its a scam mate they are the wrong way round : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Isn't there something a bit ironic in asking whether a blatant imitation of a Fender is a fake?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Bit hard to be sure as they've been built the wrong way round, but they look like Fender Strat/Tele shaped headstocks. I thought Tokai et al haven't been allowed to copy the Strat/Tele headstock for a long time or have they got around this by being left handed and a mirror image?
  • ICBM said:
    Isn't there something a bit ironic in asking whether a blatant imitation of a Fender is a fake?
    Lol.... yes there is! But Old tokai’s do fetch a bit these days and the brand does/used to have good rep as far as I remember. 

• Octafish said:
    Bit hard to be sure as they've been built the wrong way round, but they look like Fender Strat/Tele shaped headstocks. I thought Tokai et al haven't been allowed to copy the Strat/Tele headstock for a long time or have they got around this by being left handed and a mirror image?
    That’s what I thought too... and serial number didn’t look right.

apparently Tōkai UK say these are legit but Chinese made...
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    The made in China Tokai range are pretty cheap - no reason they wouldn't be legit.
  • rico said:
    The made in China Tokai range are pretty cheap - no reason they wouldn't be legit.
    I only heard back from Tokai this morning, so no worries that there no legit... just now wondering what build quality / QC is like?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Bootsclan said:
    ICBM said:
    Lol.... yes there is! But Old tokai’s do fetch a bit these days and the brand does/used to have good rep as far as I remember. 
    That's true - and back in the early 80s, they were arguably better than the guitars Fender were putting out at the time. They served a very valuable purpose in shocking CBS-Fender out of its complacency and showing what a good Fender-style guitar should be - the first US vintage reissues and the JV Squiers were a direct response. In fact, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Tokai are indirectly responsible for the great guitars Fender are now making.

But given that Fender (and Gibson for that matter) have returned to making guitars in the way they always should have, I honestly think Tokai should be making original - as far as that can be done in the conservative world of electric guitars - designs and not continuing to copy American companies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Yes, now that Fender have got their designs covered from Squier to Custom Shop, and in modern and vintage variants, you wonder why Tokai are still trying to compete at the lower end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom