10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• nickmewnickmew Frets: 2
    Ok, let's give this a go
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    An early 80s Tokai Strat, which I got secondhand when I was about 15. About a year later I got bored of it and did some punk style modifications. It now has no lower horn - more like the bottom half of a Vox teardrop, a truncated upper horn and all sorts of grafitti type paint jobs. That was over 30 years ago when people hadn't quite realised how good they were.' I've still got it and although it ain't worth much due to my ''thoughtful' mods it's great and I still use it on stage 

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    Hmm. That's like asking which of your children do you save. Probably the Tokai Strat, as although it may be the least valuable it's the least replaceable. And I've got insurance for the rest.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    A 1968 Gibson Dove that I only got a month ago. Been looking for another acoustic to compliment my mahogany Martin for a while and kinda stumbled across it, or it found me. One strum and I knew I was taking it home 

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    Probably a Strymon Riverside or Sunset to simplify my pedalboard. 

5: What strings do you use? 
    Elixirs generally, gauge depends on the guitar. I play bass as well and tend to use La Bellas for the basses.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    Nothing. Everything. There are a thousand things you always want to change, there's never a perfect take, and as I produce for others I've learnt to be able to move on and focus on feel. Try your best to perfect it but if every little thing gets scrubbed and cleaned like a kid going to see the queen you loose the character.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?
    Sounds dull, but making sure everything is in tune . I seem to be the band roadie for one of the bands I'm in

8: ...And five minutes after?
    see above. Still unplugging shit. Ten minutes after generally at the bar.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
    More of a band worst gig thing than just me. 20 odd years ago playing at a university ball, we were last on at something like 1am and they gave us a green room with a piano and a crate of beer after we'd arrive for a soundcheck at 2 in the afternoon. 
    So obviously we drank a bit more than we should have, but the main problem was by the time we went on we were knackered., so decided to go at it super-energetic and bouncy to stay awake. We'd forgotten from the soundcheck that the stage appeared to be made out of trampolines so this made the whole drunken debacle even more precarious. The bass player clanged his headstock against a monitor halfway through the first song and couldn't stay in tune the rest of the gig, the drummer said afterwards every time he did a roll or reached for a cymbal it wasn't there anymore due to the bounce, and all the while I was corpsing in fits of giggles. 
    It didn't help that the hall suddenly emptied just before we came on apart from a few people fighting with giant pugilsticks (if anyone remembers Gladiators) and headbangers with there heads virtually inside the PA cabs.
    We later learned from a news report that the hall had emptied due to some people having sex on the pool tables next door and everyone wanting to see it.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Play more with other people and less by yourself.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That_LionelThat_Lionel Frets: 29
    edited May 2018

A Tanglewood Strat copy. Bought for me by my gran for my birthday in 1990.

My 1992 MIJ Jackson Rhoads.

Aforementioned Tanglewood Strat copy.

A USA Select Jackson RR1.

Ernie Ball 09 - 46 and D'Adarrio 10 - 52, depending on the guitar

The entire mix of an old band's first album. And the second one.

Usually trying to remember how our songs go...

Protecting my gear from murderers.

Playing an indoor gig in a heatwave. 30-odd degrees outside, even hotter inside, absolutely unbearable on-stage under the lights. Was a little "irritable". Singer / bassist hit me on the head with the headstock of his bass. I pushed him away. He stumbled. He fell. Right through the drum kit...

Just relax. No-one gives a ****
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?

Hohner jumbo acoustic at the age of 12/13 and first electric was a black CSL super strat at 15

My old Shaftesbury SG copy that I traded in for  crappy Yamaha back in 94 or so

Was a Charvette 270 that got given away as I'd stashed it in my mum's old house

KMA Wurm pedal

Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys

Use the 5150 that was suggested as opposed to the Zoom 9150 I was rocking

Normally having a dump

Wishing I was still up there on stage

Had a migraine before a gig and was bending down to relieve some pressure when the end of the newly wound B string went into the white of my left eye. The migraine had affected the vision in my right eye, so I basically played the gig blind and partially deaf... 

Learn some f'ing scales young man

• BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    Yamaha SA500 in about 2008. Black semi-hollow with art-deco f-holes. Nice guitar. Should have kept it around for longer.

Moffa Maryan archtop. 

See Q2. Ordered by me in January 2011 and completed in November 2012.

Hahn Model C telecaster

Thomstik Swing flatwounds, 13-52

Have not yet recorded.

Stretching out hands and some mental focus/relaxaton exercises.

Criticising my own playing, even if others felt I played well.

Guitar and strap parting company.

Prioritise learning tunes!
  • AdetuonoAdetuono Frets: 1
    A Teisco SS4L, which I bought for £15 (complete with amp) in 1972. I had no idea what it was until I saw an article on Ry Cooder, who was playing one, about 10 years ago. Still got it, but it's in a sorry state.

Gibson Roxy/Zappa SG

The Teisco  SS4L

A selection of old-style FX pedals. I can't get on with multi-FX; Helix will be in the classifieds forthwith.

Probably Ernie Ball; I like the colours...

Never recorded anything

I don't play in public

See 7:

See 7:

Give up; you'll never be any good!
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited June 2018

First guitar I played (when I was 14 or 15) was a cheap LP shaped japanese thing of my dad's. No idea what make it was. Had an unusual sound, probably 'cos my dad had been messing with the electronics.

First guitar I owned was this custom made pointy monster my dad made for me when he broke his ankle - he was off work for a few months so decided to use the time to build a guitar. I seem to remember being officially given it for my 16th birthday, so late 1987. Loved it at the time, but find it difficult to play these days - neck is quite narrow and I struggle to get on with trems these days.

The aforementioned custom made pointy beast - genuinely irreplaceable.

The pointy monster, coming up on 31 years old now.
    I have a Hohner B-Bass that's around 28-ish years old, but nothing else I own is older than 10.

Thinking about a wireless rig, but not sure it's actually worth it for the size of venues we normally play.

D'Addario EXL 125. They're 9-46 hybrids - I like the slightly thicker wound strings for drop-D tuning.

Haven't recorded properly for 25+ years ... and there's plenty of things that could be improved on those recordings  :-)

Probably chatting to the other guitarist trying to keep both of us calm - wondering when we're going to start.

Chatting to the band about how the gig went - putting off packing up for a few minutes.

Had one gig 20 years ago where the singer was too drunk to remember the songs - that wasn't fun and ended that band. But otherwise nothing too drastic has ever really happened.

Don't be so afraid of shredding - I never did learn to shred, which is sad for a metal-head.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Realised I've never done this and I'm bored, so...

A "Star Sound" strat shaped thing in sunburst, from the now defunct guitar shop named Netto! I was about 17 I guess. It was alright after a set up, before that the intonation was abysmal. I was already quite musical having done my grade  8 piano and theory the year before so although I wasn't that good at playing it, I could tell it needed a set up!

I've a white Reso Glass kit made by Wez of this parish which means a lot to me, it's beautiful visually and plays wonderfully but it has a lot of sentimental value to me as well as it was partially with money from my nan (who's no longer with us) that I bought it as she encouraged me a lot with my music.

Another resoglass kit guitar bought off ebay, in red. Not as good as the white one but gets more playing time on it because it's a bit more rough and ready and therefore dispensable.

An amp to replace my very disappointing Princeton Reverb.

For electric, usually Slinky Fat Bottom Skinny Tops. For acoustic I like Silk and Steel folk strings.

On any recording of me singing I've ever done, I'd like a different singer.

I sit quietly away from the chaos and do breathing exercises, effectively a sort of quick meditation. Unless I'm fiddling about with cables and amplifiers of course.

Same as the answer to number 7 pretty much, I don't hang around.

I had no monitor at a performance at a Vintage Fashion & Craft fair so couldn't hear what we were playing, the only way to hear it was to turn the PA up so high that it deafened the entire hall. It wasn't great.

Stick to piano, and learn to sing instead.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • meep-meepmeep-meep Frets: 2
    thatbliss said:
    A Peavy Predator I think, 3 a side headstock and strat style bridge and pickups. Quite a nice little guitar actually. My dad surprised me with it 10 years ago.

My bastard tele and my acoustic. Though I'd run back to get my SG if I could.

No oldies any more, probably my 04 mexican tele.

Got a Mexican strat on the way, though I'm planning a purge and treating myself to a RI Coronado.

D'addario 11s on everything. Acoustic is strung with Elixer 12s. Been on it for about 3 years now...

More time spent on the vocals of my last recording, had the flu and knocked them out in two takes. I'm not hugely proud of my voice on there.

Pooing. I get nervous shits. Other than that drinking lots of water and taking the piss out of the bassist/warming up my voice.

Usually found outside trying to cool down. I've never finished a gig not being hot and sweaty

Nothing bad playing wise luckily enough. There's nothing worse than playing your little heart out to an audience comprised of the other band, sound guy and your mate Joe.

Learn more theory, practice loads, don't be afraid to sing and play- it's not that bad, learn what those squiggly things on lined paper mean and learn how to play the drums properly.

Squire Strat, black and white from Argos. I broke the high-E string in half an hour and the paint started to peel the next day. This was sometime around '96 I think.

The Nik Huber Orca '59. I'd pay to replace all the other stuff... and most of the building.

The Orca probably, it's from 2013 if I remember right.

A strymon pedal. Really I want the reverb and the delay but... it might make my head explode.

Elixir Nano. Can't fault them and they hold up way beyond their price tag.

Oh there's way too much. I tend to have to look at the output in terms of the good rather than trying to fix the bad.

Pacing, letting the adrenaline course and find it's place.

Running around in circles, wrestling people in an effort to expend the energy.

Realising that someone had knocked the tuning when they carried the guitar over to me.

Listen more and play less.
  • meep-meepmeep-meep Frets: 2

My 1992 MIJ Jackson Rhoads.

I played one of these back in 2008. A friend had one and they were from around that time. Ebony fretboard. Played like a dream but the electronics were a little screwed. Wish I'd bought it off him.

A 3/4 size, nylon string, acoustic in 1992.

My Strat

Ibanez J-Custom

UA Ox Box

Elixir, all round!

I genuinely wouldn't change a thing.

Tuning up.

Packing everything down... quickly.

A pint of Guinness meeting my pedalboard.

It's not all about how fast you can play to the metronome.
  • BD56BD56 Frets: 1
    A second-hand Hofner semi-acoustic in 1970. My mum and Dad bought me it for Xmas - I had asked for a bass guitar. 

My Tokai LS200.

As above - 1994?.

A Strat neck - vintage spec.

Roto yellows and Blues Sliders (when I'm feling flush.

I wish. never felt good enough to go on stage.

See above.

See above.

Practice, try to join a band. If the competition is too hot, switch to bass or drums.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Route66Route66 Frets: 12

@Alnico has given me a beautiful Telecaster which was handbuilt by @Bridgehouse, using body & neck by @GSPBASSES - love it!

2: The building's burning down- what one guitar do you save?

Mine!

3: What's the oldest guitar you own?

Ibanez JS100 which is from 2001

4: And the next piece of gear you'd like to acquire?

Currently happy with my lot!

5:What strings do you use? - D'Addario EXL110 - 10-46

I've not been recorded yet

7: what are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?

Not played live yet.

8:...And five minutes after?

have a pint!

9: What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you onstage?

waiting for that moment...

should have learnt it earlier! only started learning it now at 21(ahem... :) )

• Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    edited August 2018

Crappy nylon string classical thing which was terrible. 

Patrick Eggle New York Standard 1991

See above

New low watt valve amp for gigs. Thinking Orange OR-15 or Marshall Origin 20 atm.

D'Addario NYXL, because I'm worth it 

I'd get the guitar parts right

My make-up (don't ask)

Taking my make-up off (see above)

Been shot at

Learn WHAT you are playing and why it works

A Carleton Les Paul copy, might have got it in 1997/8 or so... I still have it.

My Silverburst Epi Les Paul

An 80s japanese Squire Strat

Lawd only knows. Depends on what comes up. Maybe an amp.

Power Slinkies on electrics, Elixer somethingorothers on my acoustic.

That I have no recordings. Yet.

Drinking.

Drinking/load out

Getting asked to play 4 more songs when you've only got 3 

Don't get stuck in the minor pentatonic cliche for ten years, then have to go to lessons because you're bored.
  • alwialwi Frets: 1

Yamaha Classical 1972

White nitro 2002 Fender American Deluxe Strat (a.k.a. Yang)

Black Japanese 1986 Fender Contemporary Series Strat (a.k.a. Yin)

Amber Burst Les Paul

Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9's)

Add more guitar.

Sweating profusely.

Drinking heavily.

Forgot words....

Learn piano instead.

• This sounds like fun...

A lousy nylon strung classical. Around six months later, a Cherry Red Squier Affinity series Strat. 

My silverburst Gibson SG (70's tribute) 

My Affinity Strat. 

A Chapman ML3 Modern

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10's)

I'd use actual drums, rather than a lousy sounding MIDI track

Trying to organise my bandmates

Having a smoke and a beer. 

My nerves getting the better of me and properly screwing up my vocals. 

Practice more! 
    An Encore acoustic, bought for me by my parents. I wasn't there at the time but my mum was very proud to tell me about this highly skilled luthier she'd found and what a nice guy he was. Later, of course, I found out all about Encore but I've never had the heart to tell her.

Mary, my '94 Strat.

I guess it's that Encore acoustic.

Probably a Vox Amplug.

I've almost always used Hybrid Slinkys, occasionally Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. Right now though, I have SKTBs on one guitar and Blue Boomers on the other, which are basically like Hybrid Slinkys with a 10 instead of a 9 on the top E.

I'd have kept them.

I haven't been on stage in over 20 years.

Loading the van?

I think I might have been the worst thing that happened on stage - to my bandmates.

This wasn't at a normal gig but was at a school performance. I wasn't in a band at the time and two mates asked me to play bass for them (possibly the only time I've ever been the bassist in a band, I'm not sure where I got the bass from, I probably borrowed my brother's). I said I'd go along to a rehearsal and see how it went. Halfway into the first song those two mates started having a massive slanging match which turned into a room-trashing fight.The drummer (another mate) and I walked out to have a fag. And another fag. We were probably outside for about an hour, listening to them yell at eachother.

Anyway, a few weeks later, they came up and 'reminded' me that we were playing to the school that night! I'm not sure if I'd seen them since then but I certainly hadn't played with them. I turned up, plugged in - but didn't turn the amp on - dragged an armchair onto the stage, sat down, mimed playing the bass and swigged vodka (cunningly concealed in a water bottle) through the whole set. I can't believe I convinced anyone but it was their fault.

As far as normal gigs go, the odd broken string and thrown liquid. Normal stuff.

Do it because you enjoy it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024

A Columbus 335-type guitar in about 1976 - I saved up £1 a week to get it. The local music store kept it for me until I'd paid for it. In a fit of nostalgia I recently bought another one. It's terrible! :-)

Blimey - tough one. For value and scarcity, probably my 1956 ES-5 blonde Switchmaster. As an all-rounder, probably my ES-345. 

A 1938 ES-150, Charlie Christian model

I'm really impressed with Dan Dunham and Grez guitars, so when the piggy bank allows..  

On the amp front, I'm taken with Elektra, Vintage 47, Nocturne Moonshine '39 and the Carr Sportsman

Ernie Ball regular slinky's and D'Addario flatwound 11's.

Not so much the recording, but the pressing, so that the record wasn't warped for its first - and last - play on Radio 1! :-)

I haven't played onstage for a few years, but basically panicking and drinking beer.

Same as for question 7, but without the panicking. :-)

Being ignored one night by the others - I had changed jobs that day and had a bit of a 'send-off' on the Friday afternoon at the local pub. I had to be carried out of the pub and, as we were playing that night, wasn't too popular. I got through it in the end, and they couldn't sack me, as I had the only car that would take all of the gear!

Play as much as you can, and keep practicing, because the things that you can't do will come with practice. 

Call me Dave.
  • NikNik Frets: 1
    A Spanish nylon guitar bought for me by my parents at the behest of the locals where we lived in Nerja, Spain back in '62...

'52 Les Paul all-gold Goldtop...

'52 Les Paul all-gold Goldtop...

Origin Effects Cali76 Limiting Amplifier (the big one, not the compact jobbie)...

Ernie Ball - various depending on the guitar...

The effort I put in to pushing it out there... ALL of them...

Tuning, checking, panicking...

Partying...

Brain fart - came in loud with a chord in the wrong key...

Don't expect too much, embrace everything that comes your way, practice more...
  • This should be good fun!

A nylon string with the strings about an inch off the fretboard bought for me by my parents when I was eleven, I think. Super hard to play and not really a good fit for a beginner. Didn't really get into playing until I picked up an electric again at 16

My Ibanez AT

Nylon string from question 1

An EBMM Luke

I've been palying D'addario 09's for years

That I sucked that day!

Tuning, probably...

Get a beer!

Small stage, monitoring was REALLY bad. Couldn't hear the singer or the bass player - lots of counting going on!

One note solos are absolutely acceptable - you just have to mean that note...