SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FT - PRS McCarty Bridge Pickup

What's Hot
FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1456
edited March 2014 in Guitars £
Looking to trade my PRS McCarty Bridge Pickup, great sounding PAF type humbucker. 

I play heavy music, so ideally looking for a straight swap for a hotter humbucker, let me know what you've got!

photo photo.jpg
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1507
    edited March 2014
    Hehehe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    As in Sir Paul..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Really, really sorry. Is it a Wings or Beatles model? I just couldn't help my self. Great pickups, GLWTS.
  • Doh! What a dumbass!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    You looking for covered or uncovered ?
    Gibson 500T in black & some cash ?
  • Don't mind really, is yours uncovered?  Does it have 2 or 4 conductor wiring? 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Not wanting to be a party-pooper or anything but I'd hang on to that pickup. The highly-rounded corners on it indicate that it's an early version, so I guess your McCarty is a '95/'96? It's possible that it's actually a covered Dragon 1 neck pickup (they used the D1 neck pickups as sets until the McCarty ones were finalised a little later). This adds to the potential resale value, and would be part of the reason that people would be interested in an early McCarty. :)
  • Thanks for the info, as you can probably guess I thought it was a regular McCarty pickup!  Are there any other tell tale signs it could be a Dragon 1? I'll have to check my serial number when I get home too!
    Not without lifting it and checking the sticker I'm afraid. 

The neck pickup from both sets are (literally) identical, with an output of about 8k. The McCarty treble differed by having an extra 500 turns of wire to give a small increase in output, but otherwise the specs don't change. They use Alnico IV magnets in the McC sets, and D1 neck pickups if you were wondering. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's fine, I'm not averse to pulling guitars apart, I'll take them out over the weekend and check it out. This is all great info, appreciate it!  :)
    Just for info - no idea of that level of detail or knowledge of value in context / rarity etc ..
    Good luck with trade / sale
    No problem at all, I got lucky a few years back and was given detailed information on all of PRS' pickups as of 1995. I was looking for more info on the Dragon 1 sets as they're fairly rare on the used market, and I've not found another humbucker set quite like them. :)
    Tbh my comments were primarily aimed at OP
  • Bump - my McCarty is actually a '98 so these should be McCarty pickups. Looking for a decent Seymour Duncan or similar.