Pat & Doug P90 Review...no.2

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
For those interested.... I give you Pat & Doug on p90’s... the 1st instalment was a couple of years ago... :)

https://youtu.be/DPUT7siAYbA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Unsurprisingly, I liked the ThroBak replacement pickups with the A4 magnets and the original LP Special and Melody Maker.
    Be seeing you.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The Organic Neck Pickup and the Throbak Bridge pickup for me

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    The P90 bobbin height is exactly the same as the later humbucker design. it simply produces a wider coil because it has double the wire of a PAF. Seth Lover designed the PAF as a silent replacement for the P90, so it was fairly natural that he took the 10,000 turns of PVA plain enamel wire as found on the P90 and split them evenly onto two bobbins, as he was clearly trying to replicate the P90 tone in a hum cancelling form. True the unbalanced nature of many PAFs (not all by the way) helps some of the natural harmonics out ... to more closely resemble a P90, but that was purely accidental, and by the time it got to the sixties, and more accurate winding machines, the coils were no longer out of balance.
    It's an interesting review, to my ears all the 90s tested had something to bring to the table, it just depends which of the tonal curves you prefer ... 'best' is purely subjective. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    Thanks @TheGuitarWeasel great info..
    I’m really new to P90’s as I’ve only had my Goldtop a few weeks. I’m a Strat player mainly so they’re a good transition for me... Maybe I’ll venture for a full Humbucker one day.

is there an easy way to keep P90 covers a bit tighter? I’m assuming different springs under the cover.. My bridge pickup is quite high and with sloppy playing can get nudged.

:) 

tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    I’m really new to P90’s as I’ve only had my Goldtop a few weeks. I’m a Strat player mainly so they’re a good transition for me... Maybe I’ll venture for a full Humbucker one day.

is there an easy way to keep P90 covers a bit tighter? I’m assuming different springs under the cover.. My bridge pickup is quite high and with sloppy playing can get nudged.

I prefer to use silicone tube rather than springs ... less wobble factor. Also a wodge (technical term lol) of foam under the pickup as well never hurts.
    Not all p90 covers are created equal, many fit very badly, so a tiny dab of hot melt glue on the bobbin top before putting the cover back on just locks things with a seal that's easy to break later if you need to.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    tone1 said:

Hey I was like you before going over to the dark side!  I transitioned via a P90 equipped Les Paul Special.

Low wind PAF style humbuckers are probably nothing like the modern style humbuckers you may have experienced.  Very articulate and airy, not muddy in the slightest.  That was my experience anyway.

Enjoy!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    I’m absolutely in love with my Navigator P90 Goldtop... haven’t put it down since I got it. I’m looking for a Humbucker PRS DGT which has coil taps  :)
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    tone1 said:

Hey I was like you before going over to the dark side!  I transitioned via a P90 equipped Les Paul Special.

Low wind PAF style humbuckers are probably nothing like the modern style humbuckers you may have experienced.  Very articulate and airy, not muddy in the slightest.  That was my experience anyway.

Enjoy!
    I put a couple of spots of hot melt glue on top of the coil ... easy to break apart if you want to change the cover ... but stops the cover rattling about.