Howlin Wolf

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
The CD that came with the latest Blues magazine included an Omar Dykes track called Back Door Man which I really enjoyed. Turns out this track is a Howlin Wolf cover, so I'm now keen to get myself a Howlin Wolf album. Any recommendations for something that has all the essential stuff please? Many thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I've got this one:

The Genuine Article - The Best Of Howlin' Wolf

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    His second album called Howlin Wolf but usually referred to as the rocking chair album (as has a picture of a rocking chair on it). Although pretty much all those tracks will appear on a decent compilation. The London sessions album is a marmite thing, probably only best bought if you find his Chess era stuff hard going. I know a couple of people who saw him live in Britain in the 60's and they certainly found him amazing.the next person along on this discussion might tell you about Wolf's amazing guitarist Hubert Sumlin. He was amazing but he certainly doesn't appear on all the records. Sumlin also played with Muddy Waters and had a solo career, maybe check out his solo stuff as well although it doesn't match Wolf for intensity. Of course Wolf covers are nothing new - Rolling Stones, Cream and various other obscure acts...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Howlin' Wolf & Muddy Waters - they were it

If you ever go to Chicago, go to the Chess studios, you can feel the mojo dripping off the walls.  It's a small nondescript looking place, and pretty empty these days, but sent shivers down my spine.

right I'm going to play Smokestack Lightning now .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback