Seen any unusual guitar vol/tone controls?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
 I'm wondering what sort of unusual looking vol/tone controls one could implement on a guitar. Anyone recall anything unusual they may have seen?

ideally I'm interested in something minimalistic looking.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10775
    Eddie Van Halen’s volume knob was a tad unique. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    If your on about the knobs that fit over the pot shafts then the world is your oyster as you can 3d print anything you can think of
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've always thought the roller controls found on Maverick guitars were a good idea.

https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/0bf9fd83cbcfc4d83db30033bde3cd12/5C877046/t51.2885-15/e35/38151466_263949634200442_5345681966375108608_n.jpg

Being the owner of one I can confirm they take some getting used to but are actually pretty functional, and resolves the issue of my picking hand constantly knocking into the volume control on conventional guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar pick in the split shaft
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Paul7926 said:
    If your on about the knobs that fit over the pot shafts then the world is your oyster as you can 3d print anything you can think of
    The only limitations being: owning or having access to a 3D printer; having the knowledge or finding someone who does to operate said printer; having the creative skill and design flair (or finding someone who does) to create such knobs; having the patience to go through design and prototyping and of course, having pockets deep enough to finance such a venture.
    edited November 2018
    Simon_M said:
    Paul7926 said:
    The only limitations being: owning or having access to a 3D printer; having the knowledge or finding someone who does to operate said printer; having the creative skill and design flair (or finding someone who does) to create such knobs; having the patience to go through design and prototyping and of course, having pockets deep enough to finance such a venture.
    OK. I take your point. I was meaning that anything is possible now as  I'm sure there are places that will print what you want at a reasonable price. 

In fairness there are loads of plans free on the internet and these days a small 3d printer is less than £300 but yeah that's a lot if you only print a knob.

I'm lucky in that I have access to a small printer but so far I've got a set of string radius gauges from a free plan and a pick holder that attatches to the guitar strap. I found plenty of knob designs from simple ones through vw logo to skull with top hat but none that I really like.

I'm thinking about printing a template with it to use with inlays.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Paul7926 said:
    You could even get a 3D scan of your own head and get that 3D printed as your volume/tone control.

The only problem is it will make you look like a knob.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a 3D printer in my house, I wonder what we could do with that. Although the plastic isn't the most robust. 
    We have a 3D printer and a big telly but the house is falling apart, this is what happens when teenagers set spending priorities.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There is a 3D printer in my house, I wonder what we could do with that. Although the plastic isn't the most robust. 
    We have a 3D printer and a big telly but the house is falling apart, this is what happens when teenagers set spending priorities.
    You can get much more robust filament, I've seen ones that include a lot of metal meaning the final prints are very sturdy.  I did think about tuner heads as well as pot knobs as once you go down this rabbit hole I'm not sure there is an end to it.  :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    What might be interesting is recessing the knobs into the top, and using push-push pots to pop them up when needed. If you can find some that pop up enough...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Sporky said:
    What might be interesting is recessing the knobs into the top, and using push-push pots to pop them up when needed. If you can find some that pop up enough...
    Or recess them enough to not get in the way of the strumming hand, but still easy enough to turn using the edge of your little finger. That would be perfect for me.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Maynehead said:
    Sporky said:
    Or recess them enough to not get in the way of the strumming hand, but still easy enough to turn using the edge of your little finger. That would be perfect for me.

PRS recess the knobs on their higher end stuff but don't seem to on the SE or S2 lines.
  • Hofner do teacup knobs which look a bit odd. Not really minimalist though. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Sporky said:
    That sounds pretty cool actually!
  • Brian Setzer  used dice that were commercially available in the 80's, not sure if they still are.  Also not sure if square is a good idea. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    Didn't the Bond Electraglide have increment/decrement buttons?

Paging @HarrySeven , youe expertise is required.
  • Brian Setzer  used dice that were commercially available in the 80's, not sure if they still are.  Also not sure if square is a good idea. 
    I have dice on one of mine. They were pretty cheap ( off Amazon I think). I'm not a big knob twiddler so square is fine for me, they are also pretty clear to read. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    Didn't the Bond Electraglide have increment/decrement buttons?

Paging @HarrySeven , youe expertise is required.

It did indeed.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/