Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bassists using pedals

What's Hot
EggmanEggman Frets: 43
edited January 2019 in Guitar
I am by no means suggesting that bass players shouldn't use pedals. In fact, I think they are important for enhancing and improving the sound. However, I think that they should be used subtely (I think the same thing about guitar effects).
I play lead in a four piece blues-rock band. Recently the bass player has been getting more interested and experimental with pedals. While this is fair enough (we all love pedals :)  )sometimes he is playing with multiple effects at full blast, turning the bass noise into a mushy, shrill, tinny distorted wah flanger mess. In my opinion, this sometimes affects the solidity of the songs. Also, occassionally it limits what myself and the others can do because we're trying to hold the song together. 
I have absolutely nothing against his use of pedals, but I'm not sure how to move forward. We've all been playing in bands for years, and I respect him and his musical choices.
Has anyone got any advice on how to handle the situation?
What do you think of bassists using loads of effects?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I love loads of FX on bass.

Should be more of it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I'm a singer/guitarist in a three piece band and the bass player uses pedals to great effect.  It helps create a solid rhythm section, which is often a problem in a three piece.  As a singer/guitarist I find I often have to simplify the guitar parts or even not play at all for some complicated vocal stuff, but it means that there's not a gaping hole in the sound, so it works well in this sort of situation.  Like wise doing a guitar solo when it would normally leave it all sounding a bit empty with out the bass effects.

If it's not working in your situation though, you're gonna have to talk about it.  Can't think what else you could do.  Go out for a drink with him or something and just come out with it.  You have to sort it even if it's a compromise where he's a little gentler with the effects.
    Good luck man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Doug Wimbish's board.

Looks reasonable to me. The Macbooks are out of shot.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    Sounds like he's bored
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43

Should be more of it.
    Fair enough. I like effects on bass too. Problem is, it's genuinely got to the point where if you told someone to listen to the bass part, all they'd hear is randome alien like noise.

Maybe he is an alien?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Doug Wimbish's board.

Looks reasonable to me. The Macbooks are out of shot.

That looks pretty cool.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    Just take the piss out of him. If you're on Facebook together tag him in appropriate memes about overuse of FX, doesn't matter if it's guitar stuff, you can say "Bassists too!"

Keep it light and fun, and include your bandmates. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eggman said:

Should be more of it.
    Fair enough. I like effects on bass too. Problem is, it's genuinely got to the point where if you told someone to listen to the bass part, all they'd hear is randome alien like noise.

Maybe he is an alien?  ;)
    I should confess - I'm a bassist.

BUT - would I use a shit ton of distortion and flanger in a blues tune?

Actually - probably yes. But SHOULD I use them in a blues tune? NO!

Slap that fool before he makes the rest of us look bad. There is a time and a place.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Sack him.
    As we all know, bass players are ten a penny.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Sack him.
    As we all know, bass players are ten a penny.
    We can't sack him! Without all the effects he is genuinely the best bassist I have heard/seen. That's why this is frustrating.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    I like pedals on bass too, and they don't have to be at all subtle - but less is more, at least in terms of how many you use at the same time, or it very quickly turns to mush.

Currently I'm using only one - it's an extremely unsubtle fuzz. You cannot be in any doubt as to when it's on!

In the past I've used wah, overdrive, bass boost, limiter/enhancer, chorus, flanger, tremolo, octaver and synth as well... but rarely more than one of those at once, and as far as I can remember never more than two at once with the exception of the limiter/enhancer, which was an always-on pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Maybe make some suggestions as to how he can use them to compliment the songs.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Record it and play it back to him. 
    I forgot to ask.

Is it me? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    We went through this in an old band and it was genuinely awful. He thought it was rock n roll and was totally unreasonable. Thus I took the drummer and we started a new band. 

Let that hat be a lesson to ya, bassists! 
  • Use sparingly. Our bass player uses fuzz very sparingly and he's aiming for that McCartney type Rubber Soul fuzz so it's pretty tasteful. 
    I forgot to ask.

Is it me? 
    Don't worry, it's not you!

I think...
    edited January 2019
    Use sparingly. Our bass player uses fuzz very sparingly and he's aiming for that McCartney type Rubber Soul fuzz so it's pretty tasteful. 
    That's exactly the sort of thing I mean. We sound so much better when thought goes into it, rather than "I'm gonna turn on all eight effects!!!"
  • Eggman said:
    Use sparingly. Our bass player uses fuzz very sparingly and he's aiming for that McCartney type Rubber Soul fuzz so it's pretty tasteful. 
    That's exactly the sort of thing I mean. Pedals are fine if some thought goes into it, rather than "I'm gonna turn on all twelve effects!!!"
    Same for guitarists though. Keep it simple! 
    edited January 2019
    Eggman said:
    That's exactly the sort of thing I mean. Pedals are fine if some thought goes into it, rather than "I'm gonna turn on all twelve effects!!!"
    Same for guitarists though. Keep it simple! 
    I agree. Less is more with the effects, better to focus on the actual playing.