Good quality, custom-made cables/leads

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6625
    Hiya,

Am interested in a couple of cables with the vintage cable shown above. a regular 5m one and a 4m one with a silent jack. What's the process for getting a quote/ordering? Thanks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• soma1975 said:
    Hiya,

Am interested in a couple of cables with the vintage cable shown above. a regular 5m one and a 4m one with a silent jack. What's the process for getting a quote/ordering? Thanks. 
    Hi, 

Please send me a PM and I'll get a quote to you. 

Cheers, 

R. 
    done

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    A couple of very nice vintage-style cables ready to post out to @soma1975:

If I didn't use a wireless unit, I'd probably make myself some of these.

R.
    surweeeeet. Can't wait. 

A shorter lead, for tuner -> amp for a bass rig.

A couple of very nice vintage-style cables ready to post out to @soma1975:

If I didn't use a wireless unit, I'd probably make myself some of these.

R.
    Sorry was a bit busy but just to report back these sound fantastic. Buy your cables from this man!

• ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Got a couple of cables from Robin yesterday. Both Van Damme with angled connectors. They're great cables - very happy with them  :+1:  :smiley: 
    A few orders going in the post today:

Custom coloured boots on these:

I wonder what the collective noun for patch cables is?

A matching pair with Silentplugs on one end:

Finally, a couple of speaker cables:

• DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I just purchased some cables from @robinbowes superb quality and the service was second to none. Spoke about what I needed and a few days later they were delivered. 

** New **

Semi-balanced leads

I am now offering "semi-balanced" leads, as used by a famous UK-based builder of elaborate fully custom guitar pedalboard systems.

These are leads built with 2-core + screen cable, with one core for signal, one for ground, and the screen only connected at one end, typically the end you plug into your amp or effects.

As always, I use Neutrik connectors and Van Damme cable.

Typical prices are as follows:

5m semi-balanced guitar lead, Van Damme cable, straight Neutrik plugs£19.00
    5m semi-balanced guitar lead, Van Damme cable, straight Neutrik plugs, SilentPlug one end£24.05

Angled plugs also available (regular and SilentPlug).

I'm also considering offering PET sleeving as an option, ie. the whole cable sleeved in a protective PET mesh. Let me know if this is of interest.

PM me for a quote.

R.
  • Someone asked me over Christmas: "Am I still making cables?"

Why, yes, I am!

Recently, I've been trying some braided sleeving and heatshrink for TRS stereo cable pairs:

I've also got a new label printer, and have been experimenting with cable labelling:

Of course, I'm still making guitar leads - here's one with a SilentPlug:

What can I make for you?

Send me a PM with your requirements.

R.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    What are the benefits of a 'semi-balanced' lead, if I may be so bold..? Thanks

** New **

Semi-balanced leads

I am now offering "semi-balanced" leads, as used by a famous UK-based builder of elaborate fully custom guitar pedalboard systems.

These are leads built with 2-core + screen cable, with one core for signal, one for ground, and the screen only connected at one end, typically the end you plug into your amp or effects.

As always, I use Neutrik connectors and Van Damme cable.

Typical prices are as follows:

5m semi-balanced guitar lead, Van Damme cable, straight Neutrik plugs£19.00
    5m semi-balanced guitar lead, Van Damme cable, straight Neutrik plugs, SilentPlug one end£24.05

Angled plugs also available (regular and SilentPlug).

I'm also considering offering PET sleeving as an option, ie. the whole cable sleeved in a protective PET mesh. Let me know if this is of interest.

PM me for a quote.

R.
  • Greatape said:
    Very good question.

This is actually a case of bad terminology. The wiring scheme used is actually unbalanced, with improved shielding.

A balanced interconnect has three conductors: signal carrier, return-path carrier and a ground.

A non-balanced interconnect just has signal and return path.

A semi-balanced cable uses a signal carrier and a return path carrier in a multicore format, but also has shielding around this which is connected to the return path (usually only at the source end) to provide a form of active active shielding.

There's quite a good post about the subject here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/2253

Bottom line seems to be that the "semi-balanced" cables have better noise rejection, but you'd only notice that in a particularly noisy environment.

R.
  • Greatape said:
    Very good question.

This is actually a case of bad terminology. The wiring scheme used is actually unbalanced, with improved shielding.

A balanced interconnect has three conductors: signal carrier, return-path carrier and a ground.

A non-balanced interconnect just has signal and return path.

A semi-balanced cable uses a signal carrier and a return path carrier in a multicore format, but also has shielding around this which is connected to the return path (usually only at the source end) to provide a form of active active shielding.

There's quite a good post about the subject here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/2253

Bottom line seems to be that the "semi-balanced" cables have better noise rejection, but you'd only notice that in a particularly noisy environment.

R.
    Would I need two leads like this , one from guitar to pedal(s) then one more from pedals to amp to notice the benefit? This is coming from a man who plays single coil guitars in a pub rock band ?
  • Would I need two leads like this , one from guitar to pedal(s) then one more from pedals to amp to notice the benefit? This is coming from a man who plays single coil guitars in a pub rock band ?
    If would make sense to use the same shielding for both cables, yes. But you don't technically "need" this type of cable. Most people don't use them.

R.
  • Would I need two leads like this , one from guitar to pedal(s) then one more from pedals to amp to notice the benefit? This is coming from a man who plays single coil guitars in a pub rock band ?
    If would make sense to use the same shielding for both cables, yes. But you don't technically "need" this type of cable. Most people don't use them.

R.

Ok cool. Colour me intrigued. I will pm you and order one normal and semi balanced and compare.
  • Do you make custom made Looms? What I would need is 3 standard cables ( 2 for effects loop, one from pedalboard to amp) and a TRS cable for switching the amp. I’m thinking 5 meters in length would be enough.
  • Do you make custom made Looms? What I would need is 3 standard cables ( 2 for effects loop, one from pedalboard to amp) and a TRS cable for switching the amp. I’m thinking 5 meters in length would be enough.
    Yes, I can make those.

I've done some two-cable short TRS looms for IEM connections on my PA. There's a pic further up the thread.

Drop me a DM with your requirements and we can discuss.

R.
    Back on the PC now, so I can re-share this:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom