The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    That Mercedes is going to suffer on tracks where the kerbs are used extensively, Hungaroring  etc it looks way too stiff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    And that result pretty much sums up how the rest of the season will unfold. Quite glad I didn’t spend the money on a sky subscription now.....
    It's the first race of a season after technical regulation changes. If you stuck with the sport beyond one race per season you'd understand that. 
    I’ve been watching F1 since I was 6...... that’s 30 years. I’m quite familiar with how it pans out, but thanks for the patronising comment.
    You're welcome - I was shooting for a tone that matched your considered assessment of the world's most sophisticated sport 
    F1 is many things, but it's clearly not a sport.
    It does seem unique in attracting people to discussions about it to say how much they don't like it and that people should watch other sorts, which is truly odd 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Ham the clear favourite, as recent history says he's the best overall driver, and this weekend suggests he's still in the best car. 

Pretty good race so far (lap 56 as I type). Everyone wants the last fast lap point, actually making them all push at the end! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Ferrari team orders on Race 1 ! 
    sweepy said:
    Ferrari team orders on Race 1 ! 
    I missed that - was on the phone for half the race! 

Doesn't surprise me in the least though, tbh
    The good news seems to be cars can follow each other without wrecking tyres. Not too many overtakes this race, but a fair bit of wheel-to-wheel stuff, which is fine considering this track is pretty narrow and never a race full of overtaking
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Ha, team orders for 4th and 5th. The definition of pointless. Well, not literally :D
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bottas raised his game, looks like Hamilton had tyre issues, Red Bull look racy and Vettel is moaning already. Normal F1 service is resumed.

Bahrain is a different track. Hot and abrasive and on today's showing that could cause problems for the Mercs. Could suit the Bulls.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Well... Bottas didn’t just beat Hamilton, he comprehensively demolished him.  And at one of Hamilton’s banker circuits too.

Ferrari basically went missing in action today.  Leclerc looked quicker than Vettel, but not enough to convince the team that he should be allowed past in the vague hope that he might nab Verstappen.
    Bottas certainly looks to have got his head together, but Motorsport is now reporting Ham had floor damage, so expect it to be much closer in the coming races. But either way Bottas certainly looking much stronger than last year - he beat the whole field by more than the big gap to Ham. Reminded me of Vettel's RB days.

Game on :) 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    After many years of hurt, Honda fans go completely crazy as Max overtakes Seb:

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas raised his game, looks like Hamilton had tyre issues, Red Bull look racy and Vettel is moaning already. Normal F1 service is resumed.
    I must have watched a different race.  I heard one radio message from Vettel all race which was "Why are we so slow?" (which given how off the pace his Ferrari was didn't seem like an unreasonable question).  I heard at least three from Hamilton, two relating to his discontent with the tyres and one querying the pit stop strategy.  Bottas annihilating Hamilton doesn't align with my recollection of normal F1 service either.

Normal F1 service was resumed in the sense that Merc won and there appeared to be several instances of cars closing up rapidly and then not being able to overtake (eg Verstappen on Hamilton) despite the tech reg changes.

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    siremoon said:
    Fretwired said:
    I must have watched a different race.  I heard one radio message from Vettel all race which was "Why are we so slow?" (which given how off the pace his Ferrari was didn't seem like an unreasonable question).  I heard at least three from Hamilton, two relating to his discontent with the tyres and one querying the pit stop strategy.  Bottas annihilating Hamilton doesn't align with my recollection of normal F1 service either.

Normal F1 service was resumed in the sense that Merc won and there appeared to be several instances of cars closing up rapidly and then not being able to overtake (eg Verstappen on Hamilton) despite the tech reg changes.

Normal service is Merc win .. Hamilton's car was damaged which compromised his race and explains why Bottas was so far down the road and why are we so slow is moaning. He was also saved from embarrassment by team orders. Hamilton always questions what goes on even when he's in the lead ... good drivers have always done that.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    siremoon said:
    Fretwired said:

And in turn you and *I* were watching different races 

Hamilton responded to the approaching Verstappen (who also blew some tyre advantage re-catchibg up 1.5 seconds after a trip across the grass. 

Meanwhile the midfield clump of cars followed each other closely even in higher speed sections thanks to the new aero changes. NOR on GIO wouldn't have been possible last year 

Also you could see when they drive through leaves/muck on track how little it was thrown up compared to before 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    And that result pretty much sums up how the rest of the season will unfold. Quite glad I didn’t spend the money on a sky subscription now.....
    It's the first race of a season after technical regulation changes. If you stuck with the sport beyond one race per season you'd understand that. 
    I’ve been watching F1 since I was 6...... that’s 30 years. I’m quite familiar with how it pans out, but thanks for the patronising comment.
    You're welcome - I was shooting for a tone that matched your considered assessment of the world's most sophisticated sport 
    Can you define what a sport is?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    prowla said:
    goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Yes, it's not difficult: athletes competing against each other on a level playing field.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    So the Premier League is not a sport then, by your definition? 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Let's not encourage the "I've come to the F1 thread to poke fun at F1" oddballs. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    prowla said:
    goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    TimmyO said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Yes, it's not difficult: athletes competing against each other on a level playing field.
    Well, that covers some sports. 
    I’ve just realised that I’ve been watching the race I recorded and I’ve not been actually watching it....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom