The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Boromedic said:
    So the Premier League is not a sport then, by your definition? 
    Of all the many things that F1 is, sport is the least important.

Of all the many things that PFL is, sport is the least important.

The sport has been driven out of these activities (and others) to make them more commercial. That much ought to be obvious. It isn't good, it isn't bad; it is what it is.

@TimmyO - BS. I've been following F1 since James Hunt's championship. I've had very nice PR days with Jackie Stewart. But I know what F1 is and what it isn't. I'm not "poking fun".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Maybe let's have this as the people talking about F1 thread and you and your chums can make a people whining about F1 thread and we can all stay happy 

I reckon yours will get the more traffic though 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's an F1 thread, so it will cover good and bad. There will be "poking fun", there will be "whining" (are you sure you haven't done that yourself within these 241 pages?).
    goldtop said:
    It's an F1 thread, so it will cover good and bad. There will be "poking fun", there will be "whining" (are you sure you haven't done that yourself within these 241 pages?).
    Only about this bullshit ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    goldtop said:

Yes, it's not difficult: athletes competing against each other on a level playing field.
    Never happens though does it. Still down to money. Since UK Lottery money has been spent on sport the UK has moved from the back to the front in world athletics and has dominated cycling and rowing. It's about money, resources and technology - a bit like F1. And our competitors don't like it. A level playing field would be everyone having access to the same amount of money, resources, the same training facilities etc. It doesn't happen.

If cycling is a sport then so is F1. There are caps on spending, regulations regarding technology - perhaps F1 should look at a cap on the number of backroom engineers and aero people to prevent the likes of Mercedes from dominating.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited March 2019
    Much as I've long disliked watching F1 I was captivated by the Netflix series Danny Ric comes across really well. I was slightly disappointed by the total lack of Mercedes and Ferrari, but only AFTER it ended- so it didn't matter that much.

I'd be tempted to give F1 another watch now I'm more informed about the mid level battle. 

If you want another sport where people feel compelled to criticize, try any discussion of my sport- MMA (NOT UFC- for the same reason Premier league isn't a sport! Football is.)

Unless you understand the intricacies F1 seems dull & MMA seems like brutal violence. 
    If you don't want to watch, push the big red button on your TV remote. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Thought Billy Monger was a decent pundit, I did wonder if they’d got him on board as a sympathy gesture but he deserves it in his own right. 

Williams looked woeful. Is Kubica really that bad or is it just down to the car? Will he improve with more track time? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    boogieman said:
    Thought Billy Monger was a decent pundit, I did wonder if they’d got him on board as a sympathy gesture but he deserves it in his own right. 

Williams looked woeful. Is Kubica really that bad or is it just down to the car? Will he improve with more track time? 
    Apparently his replacement front wing was broken from the start as they didn't have enough spare parts. And his floor was broken. And he lost a mirror.

All of which meant the team treated the race more like a test than a race. I'm giving him benefit of doubt for now. 

Russell said there's a fundamental problem that will take months to fix :( 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Interesting comments from Hamilton. He had some issues with his car but once Bottas was ahead he said he wouldn't be able to overtake him and so turned everything down and managed his tyres. Team orders at Mercedes?

This year could be a yawn fest.

A senior Red Bull engineer thinks Ferrari has a problem with a narrow operating window and that their development looks like it's led them down a blind alley (similar to the article posted above).

Fretwired said:
    Interesting comments from Hamilton. He had some issues with his car but once Bottas was ahead he said he wouldn't be able to overtake him and so turned everything down and managed his tyres. Team orders at Mercedes?

Nah, just a knowledge that it's impossible to overtake in Albert Park unless you're in a fundamentally quicker car. No point shagging your own engine and risking the 1-2 on the first race of the season. I imagine Ham is very confident he can still beat Bottas over a whole season.

Nah, just a knowledge that it's impossible to overtake in Albert Park unless you're in a fundamentally quicker car. No point shagging your own engine and risking the 1-2 on the first race of the season. I imagine Ham is very confident he can still beat Bottas over a whole season.
    You are probably right .. in fairness Ham may have a pole record in Oz but he lost to Rosberg in 2016 and Vettel last year so he hasn't won one of the last three races.

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Fretwired said:
    The standard objective for Mercedes at each race (which Hamilton is known to ignore when it suits him) is to achieve a 1-2 finish, with no preference for who wins and who’s second.  Additionally, they’ll give strategic preference to the leading driver.

In this case, I think it’s just Hamilton recognising that in equal cars an overtake on track at Albert Park would’ve been impossible.  However, I suspect that Bottas was just plain quicker than him on Sunday and Hamilton’s throwing some excuses around.  He’s too proud to willingly let any team mate beat him by such a margin.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Bad luck for Kubica. What is wrong with their vehicles this season?
    Fretwired said:

that's as I read it too 
    Red ones are better. 
    Patrick Head’s back at Williams.

Bahrain GP: Patrick Head returns to Williams https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47749887
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Crikey. Could be a good move. Could also be that no-one else wants the job...? I also wonder whether their problems stem from the fact that they operate much more like an old garagiste team than the modern, dynamic guys at the front, and I doubt whether PH can help with that. 

I would say the major input from Head would be technical coordination and organisation.  Late to preseason testing and insufficient spares is not something which you would expect from an old school professional racing team like Williams, and indicates there are operational issues which need to be resolved.
    Gutted for LeClerc.  Faster than his highly paid teammate for two races in a row, but luck was not with him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Gutted for LeClerc.  Faster than his highly paid teammate for two races in a row, but luck was not with him.
    Maybe Ferrari used a bit too much oil in the wrong place? ;)
    goldtop said:
    Cols said:
    Maybe Ferrari used a bit too much oil in the wrong place? ;)
    You mean all over Vettel’s tyres?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom