South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot
BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
edited April 2019 in Events
Where? Factory Studios - Bristol
When? 8th June 2019
Time? 11am - 6pm(ish)
Cost? £27

Please make a PayPal payment to jamsouthwest.tfb@musician.org and PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR tFB MONIKER & PAYMENT REFERENCE OF "BRISTOL" IN THE NOTES

We are relaunching the all new official Western Jam - original discussion (now closed) can be found here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138167/jam-day-factory-studios-bristol-western-jam-edition-8th-june-2019/p1

This session is particularly aimed at newcomers to Jams, beginners and those that haven't played live before - there will be experienced guys on hand to help you through it and it's much less stressful than you think!

Totally stress and pressure free environment - the atmosphere is nothing but amazing - a really supportive day getting you up and running, having fun, playing and chatting about gear. A chance to try some cool amps & some great guitars & maybe learn a new trick or two! 

We hope to have a pro drummer for the day!!!!! 

Official Jam Session slots restricted to 25 so get in quick! 

We can accommodate about 35 in total - but can only guarantee that the first 25 will get the chance to play in the official session -  there will be other rooms available for informal jams, trying gear and generally hanging out. If any of our marvellous makers or businesses would like to come along and show their wares you are more than welcome!

Go!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    edited June 2019
    Confirmed Attendees:

(NP = Not Paid; P = Paid)

Main Session
    1 - mart (P)
    2 - uncledick (P)
    3 - MagicPigDetective (P)
    4 - Legionreturns (P)
    5 - roberty (P)
    6 - mrkb (P)
    7 - TimmyO (P)
    8 - Vibetronic (P)
    9 - Brocco (P)
    10 - clarkfan (P)
    11 - spark240 (P)
    12 - nickos236 (P)
    13 - Bernie (P)

Organisers
    1 - Brocco 
    2 - fandango
    3 - robwright - venue liaison
    4 - Legionreturns
    5 - roberty - live room equipment and recording coordinator
    6 - spark240 - master of ceremonies

Others
    1 - Funkfingers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The song list Discussion for Factory Studios, Bristol can be found here. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152258/2019-tfb-western-jam-song-list-discussion#latest
    Be seeing you.
    @FastEddie and @robwright@ added

Welcome!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @MagicPigDetective has joined the party as a paid-up member. Thanks.
  • I'm not a newbie to jams in the slightest, but I find myself with a free weekend and you appear to have spaces. 

I quite fancy the idea of attending a jam as a punter for a change, although obviously I'd be more than happy to help out if I can be useful. 

I'll also happily car share with / drive the lovely @Alnico there. 

Primarily, as I get to do this quite a lot, I'd be happy to bass / sing to fill in gaps and only sign up for guitar if you're short numbered. 

Does that sound ok? If so, I'll ping you some PayPals / Welsh dollars or whatever the currency is in Bristol. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm not a newbie to jams in the slightest, but I find myself with a free weekend and you appear to have spaces. 

I quite fancy the idea of attending a jam as a punter for a change, although obviously I'd be more than happy to help out if I can be useful. 

I'll also happily car share with / drive the lovely @Alnico there. 

Primarily, as I get to do this quite a lot, I'd be happy to bass / sing to fill in gaps and only sign up for guitar if you're short numbered. 

Does that sound ok? If so, I'll ping you some PayPals / Welsh dollars or whatever the currency is in Bristol. 
    Yes please !
    That would be awesome, thank you.

We're not taking a lot of gear, just a guitar each and some other bits.
    @Legionreturns - sounds perfect - great to have you onboard!  It sounds like you have the knowledge & experience to help with set-up in the main room?
  • Brocco said:
    @Legionreturns - sounds perfect - great to have you onboard!  It sounds like you have the knowledge & experience to help with set-up in the main room?
    Cool. 

I've pinged you some dollars.

Happy to help with any setups. If there's any kit you need let me know. 

I have a LOT of stuff! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Thank you - you can be certain we will be in touch!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm thinking I could help out with this. I've got a high vocal range and can play guitar and bass to a professional standard. Could maybe plug some gaps in the set. I've got a couple of nice guitar amps and an army of fuzz pedals. Also I can do live sound. Based in Bristol 
    @roberty - welcome & thank you for your kind offer to help out, that is hugely appreciated!  I have added you to both the list of attendees (payment details in the first post of this discussion) and to the list or organisers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Brocco said:
    @roberty - welcome & thank you for your kind offer to help out, that is hugely appreciated!  I have added you to both the list of attendees (payment details in the first post of this discussion) and to the list or organisers
    Cool no probs, sent :-) should be a good laugh
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited March 2019

Looking forward to this but also a bit nervous; I haven't played guitar with a band for at least 15 years, and before that it was mostly messing around with mates, and I've never met any of you before! I'll do my best to stay relaxed and not get hung up on any mistakes or if I play badly. However I need to do something like this to get me out of my home playing rut.

Not sure what to do about choosing a song, any general advice? 

I'm thinking it should be not too obscure, something most are familiar with playing, not too difficult, and singable - so for example whilst it would be cool to do a Soundgarden song, they have complex arrangements, time signatures and alternate tuning and must be so hard to sing, so would not be a good choice.

PS I can't sing well.

@MagicPigDetective - rest assured you will be in very good company! For example prior to June 2017 I had never played live with a band or attended a jam! Since then I have attended three tFB jams and can honestly say that you have nothing at all to fear and everything to gain, as these events are as supportive and non-judgemental as it is possible to be. There is absolutely no pressure, no judgement, only encouragement!

You could go so many ways on songs: for example you might like to suggest a track where you are the sole (riff-based) guitarist (something like Your Touch by Black Keys or Hands Open by Snow Patrol), tracks with multi guitar parts such as Layla or a track such as Get Back where rhythm and lead duties can be assigned or shared between two guitarists.

There really is no right or wrong. It is usual for a song nominee to get first dibs on their preferred guitar part, but also for the same track to be played multiple times if demand dictates. It also tends to be the case that songs with limited support get dropped, and also, we sometimes get a little carried away and can overlook the fact that someone has to sing, so the range of the vocalists who will be there can also influence what gets onto the final playlist.

Bottom line: suggest away and let's see where we end up!    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    MagicPigDetective said:
    Not sure what to do about choosing a song, any general advice? 
    Think up two shortlists of songs - some that you are confident that you could perform on the day, others that will stretch your abilities a bit. Maybe, even, jot down a few possibilities that you imagine are beyond you but you fancy having a try anyhow.

Remember, the objective is for session attendees to have an enjoyable day, playing music together. It is not a contest.

Periodically check the Bristol Western Jam songlist Discussion. You may find other subscriber’s song nominations appealing. If you see songs that you would like to participate in, make it known.

Ideally, all attendees support each other. You play rhythm guitar for somebody on one song. Somebody plays rhythm guitar when you take your turn on lead.

You get the general idea. 

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Brocco and @Funkfingers , I’ll get my thinking hat on and come up with some suggestions soon. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Sounds interesting! I live near Bristol, like others havent played live in a decade and have never thought about a jam session. Preconceptions and all that jazz. I'm a bit brassic until next week - payday, best mates wedding, kitchen deposit and all nonsense.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    @DrJazzTap welcome!

I have added you to the list of brave souls!
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @Brocco @Funkfingers ;- can I be a tentative / others please?