Shady eBaying

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 2748
    Doesn't really make much sense. The market has already shown what it's worth. He might have expected it to sell for more, but it didn't. Relisting it for double seems unlikely to do anything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2109
    edited April 2019
    LOL I wouldn't pay £250 for that. My Hello Kitty was a better looking guitar than that horror.
    Very poor behaviour from the seller.
    If I ever think about buying a Two Rock just punch me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 5872
    edited April 2019
    poopot said:
    ... this ...
    It is unfortunate that the products cannot command the prices to cover the materials and time that have gone into them. This is the harsh reality of the business. 

The irony is that, if Jetfire were to push for the proper completion of the failed eBay transaction, it could contribute to driving a struggling luthier/vendor out of business.
    Be seeing you.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 241
    Jetfire said:
    So I've been following a UK based guitar builder on Instagram for a while. I've liked his stuff for a while now but not wanting to waste anyones time, I've admired from afar, just like posts etc. So last night, a photo is posted of a rather nice guitar that turns out this guy is eBaying, so I follow the link and low and behold, it's up for £250 with a few bids and less than 24 hours to go. Fast forward today and near the auction end time, I slam in my max bid and wait for the minutes to tick by and result, I win with my £352 bid. Less than 10 mins later, the auction is cancelled and said item is relisted with a starting bid of £600 followed by a message saying:

"Hi,

Sorry to have cancelled the transaction for the (guitar) I was expecting to get more for it and simply cannot take so little for it when it cost me almost double that to make it.

The guitar has been relisted at a higher price - reflecting the minimum I can take for it - if you're still interested at all?

Kind regards, 

Guitar makers name here."

What grips me the most is there was no reserve or buy it now to stopping me bidding ? The original Instagram post has now been removed and he's saying it back up for sale even though it sold. 
    I don't understand why people do this sort of thing, really poor attitude. I'm not sure it is possible to give them negative feedback either.

The seller could easily started the bidding at a price around what was his minimum price or my preferred method is to have a 'realistic BuyNow' price and allow buyers to make offers. I normally build in a bit of room for me to deliver within a reasonable distance if bought at the full BuyNow price.

I also hate it when people are bidding up their own listing... hard to prove but there are odd indicators (Bid activity (%) with this seller and looking at feedback scores in previous activities).

I do have mixed feelings with eBay, it is a great selling platform but open to abuse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 846
    edited April 2019
    I am able to give negative feedback and I may still do it. I'm of the mind to chalk to it experience and move on, esp as alot of people agree it's shitty business practise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    For now, keep schtum. Follow the official eBay complaint procedure. Allow a week or so for things to play out. 

Best case scenario, you get what was rightfully yours. Worst case scenario, vendor gains a record of shady behaviour. Enough repeats and his account will be closed down.

You might have excepted the eBay presence of a business of that type to be an eBay Shop. Items listed indefinitely at Buy-It-Now or Best Offer prices. Things must be pretty marginal for him.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    I recently bought a very rare album for a very good price (with Buy It Now) on Ebay. After paying, the money was refunded with no explanation - when I asked, it was “because the CD had a bad crack in it that we hadn’t noticed”.

Hmmm... hadn’t noticed when it was described as playing perfectly, or hadn’t noticed until they saw some other ending prices of the same album?

I’m now expecting the seller to coincidentally find another copy of this very rare album, but with a price about five times as high.
    get your revenge, bid an impossibly high price on it if its relisted, win the auction then change your mind.:)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KoaKoa Frets: 64
    Happens all the time unfortunately, not just on eBay either, I’ve had it happen very recently on here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    if it's relisted
    It is. 

I would use the eBay Best Offer button to bid £352. Perhaps, if enough people did that, the vendor might get the hint that everybody knows what he has done.
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 5119
    Yeah I've seen this before when I was highest bidder on a very well respected Klone pedal at a very shall fraction of what they usually go for, presumably because the seller (who I believe was the manufacturer) had inexplicably set the auction to end at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night. 

Their tactic was less blatant though, in that they just vanished for a month (although apparently you can still list other pedals for sale from the great abyss) then when they did eventually reply gave me a similar sob story that I was too busy to pick apart so just accepted the refund. 

Good to know though that if I wanted to, I could happy start a totally non viable business, sell on eBay, then sob to buyers if I don't sell at the price I want
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
  • NeilNeil Frets: 2703
    Bad form from the seller.

If you want a particular price either set a reserve or buy it now.

Don't try to lure in bids on a low start then snatch it away from the rightful buyer on completion when the price doesn't suit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 182
    edited April 2019
    Yes, I am the infamous "shady ebayer".
    A little annoyed that there are actual scammers and thieves out there, yet I pull out of one transaction (before any money swaps hands, I might add) and I get a whole thread dedicated to my antics. 
    Let me explain... Firstly, I have sold many stock builds in auction on eBay. The majority have broken even, one or two have made a loss. NEVER have I pulled out of a sale before. EVERY single one of those past listings/sales have been honoured and I've received positive feedback from those happy customers. 
    Sadly, on this occasion, I was not willing to make a loss. The guitar cost me £600 to make including the cost of the case supplied, and that is the minimum I would like for it.
    I would also like to point out that I had it listed for weeks on various platforms prior to this auction listing, all at a set price - including Buy It Now on eBay. 
    Unfortunately, eBay Buy It Now listings have an infinite "Good til cancelled" listing time now, unlike auctions which can be set to run for as little as 3 days and up to 10 days, and I needed (need) to sell this guitar asap for various reasons, including paying bills - don't you all rely on getting your wages to pay rent, etc? Self-employed guitar makers are no different. Therefore, I thought, having promoted the hell out of this one, it might go for the £600+ I wanted - BTW, there was actually a Buy It Now price on the listing until the first bidder came in and placed a bid.
    Anyway, I hate eBay and not two hours before seeing this post I had already decided I'd not be using it again, instead going for Reverb or other as they charge a fraction in fees. The reason I didn't use the Reserve Price option because eBay rinses sellers with that along with regular selling fees! 
    That's all I'm going to say, and apologies again to @Jetfire ;;
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    16reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    What a dog shit response.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 182
    edited April 2019
    edited April 2019
    @KempGuitars ; Thank you for clarifying.

I have never played any of your instruments. I cannot comment on the quality. I will say, however, that underpricing them is self-defeating.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Yeah but you've already said you had a minimum you wanted, but that you chose not to use the reserve feature to save yourself a few quid.

It didn't reach the price you assumed it would, but rather than take responsibility for your gamble you screwed over your customer. Not great is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MODS Slanderous posts and comments to be deleted or expect legal action
    34reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 25922
    Oh dear.
    Les miroirs ternis et les flammes mortes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 20231
    Thread closed due to multiple flags and a threat of legal action.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 3502
    Thread closed pending moderator discussion
This discussion has been closed.