Folk music

What's Hot
seany65seany65 Frets: 264
Given that music being performed by someone with a beard is prolly 'Hard rock' or Metal' etc.,

that being performed by someone in a woolly jumper is prolly 'Shoe-gazing indie 'Madchester' stuff,

and that being performed by someone with a beard and a woolly jumper is prolly 'Folk',

I want to know if a zip-up cardigan counts as the equivalent of a woolly jumper as far as 'Folk' music goes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    No. Zips are post industrial revolution and the Folk Police will be on you like a tramp on chips.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Hmm, that's a good point, NervousJohn.

Good job I ain't got a zip up cardigan, and it's a good job I don't play Folk music. Actually, I could prolly never do Folk music as I don't like hair in my food and that's all I'd get from the beard I'd have to grow.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    I want to know if a zip-up cardigan counts as the equivalent of a woolly jumper as far as 'Folk' music goes?
    No , I've never seen a an acoustic with "zip rash"

All Folk Cardigans must be fastened with buttons, preferably large wooden ones and must be of the chunky knit variety,.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    bobblehat said:
    No , I've never seen a an acoustic with "zip rash"

All Folk Cardigans must be fastened with buttons, preferably large wooden ones and must be of the chunky knit variety,.

Toggles not buttons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the extra info, bobblehat and not_the_dj.

I've also been wondering about Women doing folk music. Given that they can wear woolly jumpers and cardigans with buttons/toggles (like on duffle coats), but they usually have trouble growing normal beards, do they have to compensate for this by showing their 'underbeard' toi prove thay at least have some sort of beard to go with their wolly jumper/cardigan?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    I like Folk Music.

I like it so much, that I wish there were more than 2 sets of lyrics.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I don't know much about it, other than some songs by 'Sapphire'.

What are these two sets?

this is more than Blues music, though. As far as I know, all blues songs are about:

The singer's spouse has buggered off,  the dog's buggered off, someone's nicked their car, the repo man's now got the house, so I'm getting drunk to forget.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    The beard is more of a folk thing than a metal thing.
    seany65 said:
    Thanks for the extra info, bobblehat and not_the_dj.

I've also been wondering about Women doing folk music. Given that they can wear woolly jumpers and cardigans with buttons/toggles (like on duffle coats), but they usually have trouble growing normal beards, do they have to compensate for this by showing their 'underbeard' toi prove thay at least have some sort of beard to go with their wolly jumper/cardigan?

Google Cara Dillion. 
    not_the_dj,

I've just googled her and there ain't any pics of her proving she's got an underbeard. She hasn't even got a woolly jumper or cardigan, though she does have a woolly scarf. Are women folkers allowed to just have woolly scarves? If not and she doesn't prove she's got an underbeard, I'm going to grass her up to the Folk Police.

Norma Waterson is more your type then.
    Thanks for the suggestion but, umm, nope.

Apart from that, I'm not looking to add any more names to my 'To Do' list.

I'm not too sure you you fully comprehend the serious nature of this thread, not_the_dj! ~X(

=))

Reverend, I've googled death mertal and metal bands and so on, and there do seem to be a number of beards involved, so I'm not too sure I believe your hypothesis.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Then there's "neo-folk", the ones that favor the trimmed moustache over the beard and wear tight turtle necks.....or was that the "beatnicks"?  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189

I are a folky now

I are beardy man

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited May 2014
    seany65 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion but, umm, nope.

Apart from that, I'm not looking to add any more names to my 'To Do' list.

I'm not too sure you you fully comprehend the serious nature of this thread, not_the_dj! ~X(

=))

Reverend, I've googled death mertal and metal bands and so on, and there do seem to be a number of beards involved, so I'm not too sure I believe your hypothesis.
    I think the difference lies in:

1. colour of beard.  It has to be ginger to be a folkie. You are allowed to be ginger if you're not a folkie but if you are a folkie you need to dye it ginger, or you're just a poseur.
    2. Sculpture of said beard.  Death metal has to be an explosion in all directions, but folkie beards have to be either a short goatee type thing, or carved into vertical shapes.  No exceptions.
    @dulcetjones, I thought 'Beatniks', could wear round framed glasses if they wanted to, but HAD to wear a Beret, a tight turtle-neck jumper and had to have one of those trimmed 'Beard without mustaches' to be a proper 'Beatnik'.  Didn't they also have to listen to Jazz?

@Col_Decker, are you a real ginger or have you dyed yuor beard ginger? You DO have the woolly jumper, right?

Thanks for the info cacofonix. Didn't know about the 'having to be ginger' thing!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    seany65 said:
    @dulcetjones, I thought 'Beatniks', could wear round framed glasses if they wanted to, but HAD to wear a Beret, a tight turtle-neck jumper and had to have one of those trimmed 'Beard without mustaches' to be a proper 'Beatnik'.  Didn't they also have to listen to Jazz?

That's right, I must be confusing them with the neo-folk people because they both look neater than most folkies and both are prone to reciting deep poetry at inappropriate times.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've got a beard, it used to have gingery bits in it but in recent years has gone an almost whitish shade of grey. I do wear sandals occasionally (but NEVER with socks). However I don't have an arran knit sweater, neither do I drink out of my own pewter tankard, or stick my finger in my ear when trying to sing. I don't mind *some* "folk" music, but in general the whole "folk" thing tends to turn me off.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited May 2014

#-o Wot, Phil-aka-Pip?? Sandals without socks? You're not a real Brit are you?

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

seany65 said:

#-o Wot, Phil-aka-Pip?? Sandals without socks? You're not a real Brit are you?

Vaguely irish, vaguely German but mainly "English", although from Norman stock if you go back far enough. However, I do queue, and get annoyed without saying so at foreigners who don't ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself