Show us your DIY guitars!

What's Hot
Here's mine.
It's a USACG neck and web special body. 
Getting stainless cut into a pickguard shape turned out to be surprisingly difficult. 
It's got cooler knobs than this now that I nicked out of a disused factory that I filmed in earlier this year, but alas my camera's battery is dead and the guitar is currently at the House of Jam.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's really nice - like it a lot :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Most excellent.
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    That's very nice, and there's not much wrong with those knobs - they complement the scratchplate quite well IMO.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Hi If I can work out how to post pictures on a cheapo tablet (and if not, I'll post from my PC when I get back at the weekend)... This is my present workhorse - the neck is a modified strat neck but all else is home designed and home built. Top is Yew, back is mahogany, p/ups are bare knuckle http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/index_htm_files/563.jpg I'll post this and if it works, post a couple more :-) Andy
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    This one I made for our old-gits-band's bassist. He wanted the closest I could get to the Warwick Jack Bruce fret less (Thumb4) http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/index_htm_files/573.jpg http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/index_htm_files/574.jpg It has a bubinga body, amazaque and mahogany neck and ebony fretboard. It's just waxed with beeswax. He's well pleased with it and, on the back of it now has asked me to make him my take on the SG 6string :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Last one for now is the acoustic I built this year,again for my own use, and which I have already posted. Spruce top, walnut back and sides, mahogany and walnut neck, ebony fretboard, Shadow magnetic and under saddle pickups http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/index_htm_files/4477.jpg http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/index_htm_files/4474.jpg Thanks for looking Andy
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Much loveliness - the back on your acoustic is especially stunning, Andy.
    EdGrip said:
    Much loveliness - the back on your acoustic is especially stunning, Andy.

Thanks, Ed By the way, your stainless pick guard is well worth the effort. I love the figuring on it too.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    edited August 2013
    I've made three and have a partly built fourth which has been on hold due to life getting in the way. Here's the finished ones.

#1 The Mirrortop.
    My first born and my own guitar. Mahogany/maple body, maple/rosewood neck. BareKnuckle pups: Nailbomb bridge, P91 neck. The Nailbomb can be switched from series to parallel. Gotoh hardware.

#2 The MFK Explorer.
    Made for my mate. Mahogany body, custom Warmoth mahogany/ebony neck. BareKnuckle Warpig, single volume. Gotoh hardware.

#3 The Viper.
    Built for the MR £100 Challenge a few years back. Cherry body, neck and hardware from a First Act Lola. EMG active pickups - 81/85 set. Woodstain and Briwax finish. Another mate of mine ended up buying it.

edited August 2013
    @EdGrip - that's a belter!

@Andyjr1515 - that's a gorgeous acoustic. I'd like to tackle an acoustic build one day. Props!
    @DiscoStu Your mirror finish is stupendous ! Love your logo, too (I also know exactly what you mean that life tends to get in the way :-) ) Andy
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Andyjr1515;23190" said:
    @DiscoStu Your mirror finish is stupendous ! Love your logo, too

(I also know exactly what you mean that life tends to get in the way :-) )

Andy
    Huge +1 the mirror finish guitar is fantastic and I love your logo really cool.

Cheers guys! What logo is it you like? There's a couple...
    DiscoStu said:
    Cheers guys! What logo is it you like? There's a couple...

True - both of them but for completely different reasons :-)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I was talking about the logo on the mirror one but I've just noticed the one in the last pic - wow
    Just two takes on my initials - SM.
    I thought the Explorer needed something more metal so designed the tribal version for it, and it suited the Viper too. Put a cheeky wee Saltire in there too!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Flippin heck! They all look amazing!!! I love them all!

Some of you may remember mine from MR:

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Some of mine - the ones I finished, at least.

Sporkaster 1 - a Variax rehouse in flip-flop green/blue:

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/morgancourse/sporkaster1_1.jpg

Sporkaster 2 - 7-string with Sustainiac in marbelized finish:

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/sporkaster2/IMG_1837.jpg

Sporkaster 3 - P90-sized 'buckers, Freeway switch. Now refinished in a trans green/blue, but needs reassembly...

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/sporkaster3/sp3 finished 1.JPG

Sporkaster 5 (4 isn't finished yet!) - this was a £100 challenge, but I then put in nicer pickups and made a new neck:

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/builds/sp5/finished.jpg

That's all that's finished so far.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Get yourselves a nice cool drink, this might take a little while ...

My #1.  From 2007.  Bailey Build.  This one taught me that I actually could make a guitar.  It was a seriously life-changing
    experience for me.

My #2.  Six months later, I went on my second Bailey course, this time to learn *how* to make a guitar.

The order from then on gets a bit hazy.  But I think this was #3, made-in-Wales when Neil Morgan was running courses.  This one happened alongside Sporkaster 1, I believe.

Judging by the neat state of my workshop, I think this was probably the first true self-build, in that I did it.  Myself,  And not on course.
    (It's a chambered Cherry Tele, with a bookmatched Cherry cap).

This was an attempt at doing something a little different with a Tele body.  Jooky now has the body, and will be re-inventing it sometime soon ...

I then had a work-imposed break of about 3.5 years.  Barely time to chase the spiders out of the workshop during that period, so no building was done.

Earlier this year, work stopped, so building could re-start.
    That one's a real beasty.  It has a Diesel Tap pickup, and both the knobs are push/push - one to split the p;up and the other to by-pass the tone.  Warmoth rosewood neck.  Yum.  First time I'd used Wudtone.

And the second time that I'd used Wudtone ... took a long time to get it right (loads of posts on the old place), but got there in the end ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    And then there are 3 on-going builds that I need to get off my bfa to complete ...

This one is a bit further away ...
    (that's a hard-carved one-piece Walnut top).

Seem to run out of momentum/motivation in the last few weeks and have been spending way too much time on-line in forums rather than off-line in a workshop.

Someone give me a kick ...

The third one will be a LPJr - single pickup (another of Ash's specials) with a nice long tenon jointed neck.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.