Wales meet up?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    I'm close to mid Wales rather than N or S.
    The term Mid Wales is usually applied to the area South of the A5 and North of the A465 ... except by the people who actually live there. Perhaps, you could narrow your location down to a county or a town?

Imagine, if you will, a quadrilateral with corners at Ammanford, Merthyr Tydfil, Bridgend and Llanelli. The likeliest venue for Jetfire's event will probably be within that area. 

spark240 said:
    Just do it dude....Jam days are a great day out,  
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the Discussion title and opening post.

Jetfire's proposal is for a meet up of guitar nutters. It is not an organised/formal jam session. There could be test driving of each other's gear. There is unlikely to be a public address system or a drum kit.

seems like it might be a good way to meet other forum people.
    That is exactly what it is. Nothing more.

If you wish to participate in a live music performance gathering, there is one arranged in Bristol on Saturday 8th June, 2019. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152257/south-west-jam-factory-studios-bristol-edition-8th-june-2019/p1
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IaMsPlattIaMsPlatt Frets: 3
    I'm close to mid Wales rather than N or S.
    The term Mid Wales is usually applied to the area South of the A5 and North of the A465 ... except by the people who actually live there. Perhaps, you could narrow your location down to a county or a town?

I grew up in Ceredigion near the coast but have moved further and further east away from the coast since then. Im over the border now still moving away from the coast but nowhere near anywhere that anyones ever heard of whos not from this part of the country! If I dont stop moving East soon Ill be in Birmingham which wont be a good thing apart from everyones heard of it!

Imagine, if you will, a quadrilateral with corners at Ammanford, Merthyr Tydfil, Bridgend and Llanelli. The likeliest venue for Jetfire's event will probably be within that area. 

You dont get much more south than that but its probably 2 1/2-3 hours away or something

I am Mark S Platt but not the hacker M*rk Pl*tt
    Not only is the imaginary venue quadrilateral South of you, it is also likely to be single carriageway A roads all the way.
    Be seeing you.
  • Be seeing you.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Things should start getting a bit easier in the coming months re kids etc, so I might be free for a meet up at some point, for a couple of hours at least. I'm based just north of Newport. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I deliberately posted knowing that the thread starter would receive a notification message. I did not realise that others were involved in event organisation. :3

By now, somebody ought to have made enquiries with several potential venues to establish the room hire costs. Then, it would be advisable to discuss which venue and date suits the majority of likely attendees. Somewhere along the way, firm bookings need to be made and paid for in advance.

After that, the event organiser(s) receive all manner of private messages about semi-relevant topics - mainly, pleas for special treatment and attempts to stall pre-payment. 
    Be seeing you.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    As the risk of sounding like a massive twat, it was a speculative post around putting something together in the area. A limited interest has been expressed but as all these things do, events and time has moved on and I'm not sure I'm the best person to carry this forward. I'd dare say that @Funkfingers seems to have more of an appetite for doing this than I do, especially as he reminded me than nothing has happened in four months. I dare say that if he has the time to remind me that I haven't done anything with this, he probably has the time to organise a meet? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2019
    Jetfire said:
    it was a speculative post around putting something together in the area … limited interest has been expressed 
    This had not escaped my notice but I thought that it was worth asking, just in case something - as yet unannounced - was in the pipeline.

Jetfire said:
    I'm not sure I'm the best person to carry this forward.
    It often befalls the person who proposes an event idea to be assumed to be sufficiently motivated to make it happen. 

Those who support the proposal cheerfully sit back and wait for somebody else to handle the boring but necessary logistical stuff. Then, they feel free to pick and choose whether to take part at all. (I have done this myself!)

Typically, the ratio of people who quite fancy attending an event to the number of people who stump up their subs to the number of people who actually turn up is not good. Active organisers will be few and far between.

Jetfire said:
    I'd dare say that Funkfingers seems to have more of an appetite for doing this than I do
    I already had my fill with back room stuff for the 2019 Western Jam in Bristol. On the pages of this forum, most of my contribution will be entirely invisible. 

Admittedly, the Bristol event was on an entirely different scale to the idea of an informal meeting of like-minded forumites who happen to reside in South Wales.

Small informal gatherings should be fairly easy to arrange by PM. The advantage of meeting people from further afield is that it can expose attendees to new ideas and get them out of a rut.

Larger gatherings depend on a degree of conformity.  

I like cats but I have no interest in attempting to herd them.
    Be seeing you.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Hoping that some here will consider coming along to the 2020 Western Jam - announcement up in the Events section!
    Looks as if most of the contributors in this thread have already been party to the discussions about a possible 2020 South Western gathering.

@laMsPlatt hasn’t visited the forum since July 2019. 

@joetele is within easy striking distance of Bristol, if available.

Jetfire works in a band and a duo with a female singer. Perhaps, they can be persuaded to attend together? Accommodating female vocals might help to refresh the song list. 
    Be seeing you.