Ohmage

What's Hot
jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
edited May 2014 in Amps
Internet giving a million different suggestions, so I'm still none the flamin wiser.

My cab, a Marshall 1960AX 4x12 states 16ohm on the jack. Bog standard cab. No idea if the speakers are series or parallel.

My amp, 30 watt valve, has a wee switch on the back that gives the options if 4,8, and 16ohm settings.

I've had the amp set at 8. Other guitarist in band 'thinks' it should be set at 16 to match the cab.

Help??? Ta.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited May 2014
    Yep you should set it to the correct impedance. If your cab is 16 ohm then set it at that. You should not go lower or it could damage the amp. i.e. the output transformer.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    edited May 2014

jd0272 said:
    My cab, a Marshall 1960AX 4x12 states 16ohm on the jack. Bog standard cab. No idea if the speakers are series or parallel.
    Probably both (*) - If the cab is 16ohm, then set the amp to 16 ohm, too. I'd be surprised if running it one 'step' off (8 into 16, etc) would cause any damage though. YMMV. <-- Typed that before seeing bandmaster's response - I'm not disagreeing with him.

(*) If you wire 4  speakers by putting pairs of them in series, then running the pairs in parallel, you get a combined impedance the same as that of an individual speaker. I would guess that your cab has 4 x 16 ohm speakers wired that way.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Yeah, set it to 16 ohms. I am curious why you thought 8 was the right setting though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    edited May 2014
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, set it to 16 ohms. I am curious why you thought 8 was the right setting though?
    Exactly… if the cab says 16 ohms, does it not make sense to set the amp to that?

8 ohms (amp) into 16 (cab) won't cause any damage in almost all cases - there may be a very few amps where it would be risky, but they would have to be pretty poorly designed or built. It could potentially damage the power valves though - which in some cases could then damage the amp if they failed badly.

Same with the other way round - contrary to popular belief that won't blow the transformer either, but it will stress the valves and shorten their lives even if they don't fail outright.

The only way you're likely to blow the transformer is running the amp with no load, or worst of all with an intermittent bad connection in the speaker circuit. Although running a 4-ohm amp into a 16-ohm cab is sometimes close enough to 'no load' to be risky. Don't do that, or the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Cirrus;236873" said:
    I didn't fella, that's the way it came to me. I must brush up my knowledge on this shit.

Many thanks lads for all the advice tho, appreciated muchly.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."