Tried some Friedmans today!

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Tried the "dirty Shirley", didn't really like it. It looks nice and it's built well but it just sounded a bit ratty in the gain. It didn't feel like an expensive amp, I wasn't rewarded with ultimate tone, in fact I was left very underwhelmed. There are much better 112 combo amps out there for a lot less cash in my opinion, the amp I tried just seemed to lack body and clarity and for 40watts it wasn't all that loud. Tried the " Pink Taco" too, which I also found to be a bit weak, not enough volume to hang with a drummer but too loud for home use and the gain couldn't really be dialled out. In contrast the 65Amps Empire is awesome, great concept and actually fealt like a proper amp, bloody expensive in the pounds per watt stakes though! I really wanted to like the Friedmans, but I came away still preferring a Marshall.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited May 2014
    I've not had the chance to try one but I'm not blown away by what I've heard. There are lots of options in the price bracket. Guess it's aimed more for those looking for the 80s rock thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I was so disappointed! I thought that two Dirty Shirley combo's side by side would be an awesome rig, one using the low input for some dirty cleans and the second one using the high input for some saturated chunky rhythm dirt. It just didnt seem to do either of those things very well. 
    Such a shame because that would have been an awesome looking rig! I will add that they do appear to be very well built and the attention to detail is superb, its just a shame it was lacking in the sound department!

I'm still keen to try a Brown Eye, maybe thats the good stuff!
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92
    Interesting. I played Lizzy to Metallica in a loud rock band on my DS. It took a bit of dialling in though. 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610

timmysoft said:

I'm still keen to try a Brown Eye, maybe thats the good stuff!
    Thats where its at, i was a bit underwhelmed with the others, theres just something about a 100 watt power section that lower wattage amps cant do, Ive had plenty of amps over the years but my gas is over with the be100
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I've found it's difficult to judge anything in a shop. When I first tried a Budda the guy I thought it sounded like crap. The guy said I could take it to the next gig and in that scenario it simply blew everything else out of the water I've ever had. Super loud, super smooth. Quite dark sounding but still cut through. The Superdrive was designed by Dave Friedman and as I understand it, they are essentially BE/ HBE's. You probably need to take one out and use it in some kind of context.
    I think I've probably owned and played enough amps to know what's going to work before I take it out! I didn't know of Friedmans involvement on the SuperDrive, I didn't really like that amp either, the 80 & 45 were both very stiff feeling and I struggled to get the big powerful, drop tuned, rhythm sound that I'm known for. Maybe they're an amp for a lead guitarist, I don't play any leads, I'm just a chord man.
    I've found it's difficult to judge anything in a shop. When I first tried a Budda the guy I thought it sounded like crap. The guy said I could take it to the next gig and in that scenario it simply blew everything else out of the water I've ever had. Super loud, super smooth. Quite dark sounding but still cut through. The Superdrive was designed by Dave Friedman and as I understand it, they are essentially BE/ HBE's. You probably need to take one out and use it in some kind of context.
    Absolutely, what sounds great in a shop sounds shit in a live enviroment. 
    I love the sound of an orange rockerverb on its own but live it would not cut through the mix no matter what i did, My 5153 100 watter sounds really bright on its own but in the mix is superb same as the brown eye. Ive never had such a good sound live and thats thanks to the brown eye. 
    Agreed! Speakers make such a difference with these amps too.
    Agreed! Speakers make such a difference with these amps too.

But you'd think the speaker they load into the combo would be a tried and tested match. If I'm spending £2k + on a combo I want it to be perfect as a stock item! I don't want to be spending more money on changing speakers etc.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    The Phat 12's were voiced for the Sd's. They are basically Eminence V30's with some eq tweaks.

Yeah Dave F has designed a few amps. The Naylor Superdrive, Budda Superdrive and Friedman Brown Eye are essentially the same preamp. Different power stages but basically a heavily modded something or other (no doubt Marshall) with more or less switches. The other problem with Superdrives is they need to be loud. Sound crap at shop/ practice levels.
    I think he changes them and gives the options to the dealers so it depends what they order. I have a couple of Friedmans and don't think any sound at their best with the stock speakers. Just my opinion of course. I think they are pretty good amps but also think there will be plenty for sale on here soon.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    I was with Mr.Soft yesterday . we played the taco through a Friedman 212 with V30’s and obviously the stock speaker on the DS. we did crank both amps. To me, they both sounded like they had a tubescreamer hardwired into the front end - a good sound for sure, but in no way overwhelming .
    Look forward to trying the BE and smallbox 50 when they arrive though....
    I like the Pink Taco for home. I am a Carol Ann Triptik fanboy. Nearly bought the Whiskey to be fair. Maybe just not yet. LOL! 
  • slate said:
    I was with Mr.Soft yesterday . we played the taco through a Friedman 212 with V30’s and obviously the stock speaker on the DS. we did crank both amps. To me, they both sounded like they had a tubescreamer hardwired into the front end - a good sound for sure, but in no way overwhelming .
    For me, the problem with trying amps in a guitar shop is, new speakers need breaking in and the cone has a big difference in tone. All new cones will sound stiff, buzzy or shrill. So regardless of the amp, you'll be getting an inferior tone that has nothing to do with the amp. How you get round it in a guitar shop is impossible unless you take your own cab. From what I remember, Friedman's go to cab when testing amps and customer demos in his workshop is a '75 straight front marshall check with no tolex and old g12m blackbacks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    slate said:
    For me, the problem with trying amps in a guitar shop is, new speakers need breaking in and the cone has a big difference in tone. All new cones will sound stiff, buzzy or shrill. So regardless of the amp, you'll be getting an inferior tone that has nothing to do with the amp. How you get round it in a guitar shop is impossible unless you take your own cab. From what I remember, Friedman's go to cab when testing amps and customer demos in his workshop is a '75 straight front marshall check with no tolex and old g12m blackbacks.

It wasn't an issue of new speakers, like I've said, I've owned and played through enough new gear to know how to compensate for speakers. If new speakers are actually that big of an issue, you would think an amp builder like Friedman would use pre broken in speakers, it's not like his amps are built to a price point.

I can understand people flocking defend their expensive purchases, but for me the Friedmans I tried were a real let down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I can understand people flocking defend their expensive purchases, but for me the Friedmans I tried were a real let down.
    Tend to disagree with that as you havent tried the be100!

Ive had a lot of high end amps over the years which have gone because the 5150 iii 100 watt to me was just a better amp and im no snob if something sounds good its good regardless of how much it costs. Ive had bogners,diezels,cornfords ,victory, mesa, caa/suhr amps and sold them all because the 5153 did more and sounded better.

The brown eye is the only amp ive had that has a stunning clean, plexi tones and high gain all under one roof. no need for pedals or boosts or anything.
    Id try a Brown eye and then i think you will change your mind!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 169
    leerocker said:

Tend to disagree with that as you havent tried the be100!

Ive had a lot of high end amps over the years which have gone because the 5150 iii 100 watt to me was just a better amp and im no snob if something sounds good its good regardless of how much it costs. Ive had bogners,diezels,cornfords ,victory, mesa, caa/suhr amps and sold them all because the 5153 did more and sounded better.

The brown eye is the only amp ive had that has a stunning clean, plexi tones and high gain all under one roof. no need for pedals or boosts or anything.
    Id try a Brown eye and then i think you will change your mind!

Gotta agree with Lee here..I can't vouch for the tone quality of the Dirty Shirly or the PT model but the BE has been one of the best amps i've owned..Also like Lee i have owned Soldano's, Bogners, CAA, Splawn..

The BE though does it all exceptionally well.. Would also like to try the SS100 too

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    I'd like to hear one played at a decent lick. The youtube vids are all very polite, which isn't the point of these amps.  It's not really about the cleans with M style amps.