Can anyone identify this Kay guitar?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Being sold as a E-200 from 60's or 79's but I can't find any info that matches.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited November 2019
    Spotted it a few times. It’s got cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Leave it another few months and it might be free. 
    Its definitely not 60s 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19897
    edited November 2019
    Well this is very close in terms of hardware etc.  https://reverb.com/item/2140321-kay-sg-k2-1961-60-s-cherry
    Can't find an LP type though.
    Edit: I'd have it for the right price  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73601
    I’d guess that it’s post-1973 because it appears to be loosely inspired by the Gibson L6-S.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It's now down to £160 delivered. I was looking for a Kay Swingmaster but came across this and at that price... 
  • Paging @HarrySeven ;
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5044
    They made several which were pretty much the same neck/bridge/pickups, and swapped the body around a bit.

I think that one looks vaguely like a Les Paul - maybe the designer forgot their glasses that day.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19897
    prowla said:
    They made several which were pretty much the same neck/bridge/pickups, and swapped the body around a bit.

I think that one looks vaguely like a Les Paul - maybe the designer forgot their glasses that day.
    Could be worse, it might have been a Ricky style body.
    Ooh, ooh, you know you want it Sir.  ;)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5044
    prowla said:

Could be worse, it might have been a Ricky style body.
    Ooh, ooh, you know you want it Sir.  ;)
    I'm spent up for a while - I've bought an LP (a Gibbo), a Danno, and a headless doubleneck in the past week.
  • Isn’t that a (made in Taiwan) Kay KJP-2?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Isn’t that a (made in Taiwan) Kay KJP-2?
    Spot on I reckon!
  • Certainly not a USA guitar. The pickups are quite interesting as they do have unique character resulting in some interesting sounds. A few years ago I could pick these sorts of guitars up for around £15 at car boot sales but those days are long gone. I blame eBay.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10729
    Looks like something sold on mail order catalogs  in the seventies ... I had  a similar Kay which was my first guitar ..... well I say guitar, my first piece of unplayable shit would be more accurate.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12736
    A friend has one that he asked me to sort out.

The truss rod doesn't do anything as its anchored into soft wood.

The pickups are more microphonic than an SM58 and genuinely sound awful.

It has an action that could slice steel (and without hefty shims won't lower).

The fretting is poor.

Its utter shit.

He bought it for the "Gold foil-type" pickups - after I showed him how appalling the guitar was, he was going to put them in a custom build. I've told him not to bother and to buy some replicas from someone who knows what they are doing.

I believe it is going on the bonfire tomorrow night. It probably won't burn properly either.

Don't waste your money.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Henrytwang said:

A few years ago I could pick these sorts of guitars up for around £15 at car boot sales but those days are long gone.

As much as I am attracted to quirky guitars/gear, growing up with these crocks of shite means that I tend to avoid this kind of stuff at all costs (even when £peanuts at bootsales years ago). 

I had the misfortune of actually attempting to play a KJP-2 recently, along with some other ultra-cheap 70's Teisco/Woolworths Audition/Satellite crud.

Sadly, the intervening years had not magically transformed them into instruments of any recognisable quality, no matter how much overly-optimistic snakeoil "mojo" they may have accrued... :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's a shame really. I love the look of the older Kay and Teisco guitars. 
  • impmann said:
    A friend has one that he asked me to sort out.

The truss rod doesn't do anything as its anchored into soft wood.

The pickups are more microphonic than an SM58 and genuinely sound awful.

It has an action that could slice steel (and without hefty shims won't lower).

The fretting is poor.

Its utter shit.

He bought it for the "Gold foil-type" pickups - after I showed him how appalling the guitar was, he was going to put them in a custom build. I've told him not to bother and to buy some replicas from someone who knows what they are doing.

I believe it is going on the bonfire tomorrow night. It probably won't burn properly either.

Don't waste your money.

I wasn't sure whether to award a Lol or a Wiz - went with Wiz in the end...spot-on!

• Henrytwang said:

A few years ago I could pick these sorts of guitars up for around £15 at car boot sales but those days are long gone.

As much as I am attracted to quirky guitars/gear, growing up with these crocks of shite means that I tend to avoid this kind of stuff at all costs (even when £peanuts at bootsales years ago). 

I had the misfortune of actually attempting to play a KJP-2 recently, along with some other ultra-cheap 70's Teisco/Woolworths Audition/Satellite crud.

Sadly, the intervening years had not magically transformed them into instruments of any recognisable quality, no matter how much overly-optimistic snakeoil "mojo" they may have accrued... :(
    That's pretty damning considering some of the purchases you have made and all
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Brand-name roulette...there definitely are numerous interesting (and decent quality) USA Kay, Silvertone, Harmony*, etc budget products, but it's a different kettle of fish/gets a bit murky when instruments were manufactured elsewhere (Taiwan/Japan, etc).

That said, (and as @ICBM often says), some can be made playable.The Kay KJP-2 above was definitely bottom of the range, but further up, Kay K-32's (MIT pancake-construction - not plywood - Strat copies) can actually be surprisingly good with some fettling (for a budget instrument).

There's undoubtedly a kind of charm with some stuff, but there are points where it runs out - for example, (IMHO) Kay/Univox "Effector" LP copies are uniformly dire due to the cheap materials from which they're constructed - and this includes the awful on-board effects. Why people ask upwards of £400 for these amazes me. :open_mouth: 

*For instance, (a while ago) I had a Harmony H81 Rebel which was excellent.

• meltedbuzzbox said:

That's pretty damning considering some of the purchases you have made and all.

I agree. And I'd say that I'm reasonably well qualified to make that comment! ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73601
    I have to say I quite like these and they have a certain trashy/punky charm... but to make them into properly usable instruments usually means completely rebuilding them, and if they need fret work - as many do - then it quickly becomes uneconomical. If the frets are OK you can fix the neck angle and intonation problems fairly easily, but even at that you need to get them for free or very close to it.

I’ve rebuilt a few and got good prices for them when finished - £150-£200 - but the price reflects the work and not the inherent value when I started... there’s a lot of time-consuming work filling stripped screw holes (almost all of them usually are) and if the frets are lifting or cut too short for the width of the board, forget it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein