Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The first PRS I've looked at and gone "ooh"

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10930
edited November 2019 in Guitar
Is this. I have to say it looks cool and comfortable. I'm not in the market having come to the conclusion that guitars = hassle, and already owning two very nice black Gibsons. But I could easily see myself owning and playing this

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/prs-se-mira-black.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
    "Ooh"...And I already have a couple of PRS's!
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    roberty said:
    Is this. I have to say it looks cool and comfortable. I'm not in the market having come to the conclusion that guitars = hassle, and already owning two very nice black Gibsons. But I could easily see myself owning and playing this

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/prs-se-mira-black.htm

What makes you say they are hassle? 

I've found it a pain in le ass the last few I've bought.. either defective or leave me underwhelmed and I end up going for a different model entirely.. basically a new guitar day turns into a week or more before I can sit and enjoy the purchase haha.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    @skunkwerx strings, setup, storage, getting the right pickups, and then you have to get used to switching between guitars. Time and money consuming and a distraction from practice and creativity
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    @skunkwerx strings, setup, storage, getting the right pickups, and then you have to get used to switching between guitars. Time and money consuming and a distraction from practice and creativity
    I totally agree with this, the more guitars I get the less I play.  However with Gibsons sometimes the weight, tuning etc end up part of the problem.  PRS generally play well out of the box (including SE), so the only headache may be pickups.  I don’t or haven’t owned a PRS but often think they probably fix more issues than they bring.

However, if you hunt da mojo you’re a bit screwed, because it’s usually around the next corner and comes with a bag of headache and costs a fortune.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Yeah, it's definitely got attitude that PRS. Very tempting. 
  • I prefer the looks and more interesting pickup config of the Vela:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I prefer the looks and more interesting pickup config of the Vela:

I prefer the Mira for feel and tones. It's what an SG should be
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15215
    I prefer the looks and more interesting pickup config of the Vela.
    I liked it so much, I bought one. :)

Winny_Pooh said:
    I prefer the Mira for feel and tones. It's what an SG should be
    Dang! No excuse not to buy both. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I quite like the look of the Starla.  I've always fancied one but don't like bigsbys.  I like single cut, 2 humbucker guitars with single volume and tone.    I always wished they did an S2 McCarty Tobacco Sunburst stoptail Starla, but this is the next best thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    The Vela is great, but I ended up selling mine.   I found that I was using other guitars more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    roberty said:

Birds... wrong body shape... ugly pickguard shape... lampshade knobs... matt finish... mismatching bridge and saddles...

Pretty much everything I detest about PRSs that isn't gold hardware, quilt tops, 10-tops, caramel colours or old-man bursts :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    It does look very nice. I tried a Mira once and didn't like it at all though. Maybe it was a poor one, it was secondhand.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    I have been ahead of the game on this look for 10 years! My SEII P90 with my customised knobs and pickguard...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I’d absolutely love a Mira in that finish, though preferably P90 loaded!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    roberty said:

Did you feel the same about the previous S2 and core range Miras, or is there something specific about the new SE which appeals?
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:

Did you feel the same about the previous S2 and core range Miras, or is there something specific about the new SE which appeals?
    I just really like the way this one hangs together. Normally not into the birds but the rest of the guitar is pretty low key so for me this is just the right amount of bling. The white knobs and tortoiseshell are subtle but cool touches. I like fat necks generally so it might feel a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I'll go out and play one in a shop
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:

I just really like the way this one hangs together. Normally not into the birds but the rest of the guitar is pretty low key so for me this is just the right amount of bling. The white knobs and tortoiseshell are subtle but cool touches. I like fat necks generally so it might feel a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I'll go out and play one in a shop

It does look great, but the thin neck makes it a no-no for me.  And anyway, I've owned nearly all the previous versions of the Mira so I don't need another.

I've said it many times before, but I wish they'd offered the original core version with a choice of 24-fret, wide-thin OR 22-fret, wide-fat.  I'd have bought the 22-fret version and I would still own it!

Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:

It does look great, but the thin neck makes it a no-no for me.  And anyway, I've owned nearly all the previous versions of the Mira so I don't need another.

I've said it many times before, but I wish they'd offered the original core version with a choice of 24-fret, wide-thin OR 22-fret, wide-fat.  I'd have bought the 22-fret version and I would still own it!

Yeah it's such a lottery whether all your spec boxes get ticked. Thin necks set off my tendonitis but I can play all day on a fat neck. Thin 24 fret shredder and fatter traditional neck makes sense
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8622
    On a similar subject, this landed at my door yesterday, it’s one of the new limited run ones. Always fancied these - looks, feels and sounds way more grown up than I was expecting. Loverly.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    The PRS models in this thread are THE PRS models to head for. The Frilly Knickers models are just too showy and silly-priced for proper everyday guitarists gigging down the pub!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>