Wah pedals - how heavy???

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
edited May 2014 in FX
I wanted an expression pedal for my Vibe pedal so I thought I'd just get an old wah pedal and wire it as an expression pedal.

I soon found a mate with an old crybaby, but it was then I noticed how bloody heavy they are. I asked around and found that Vox shells are made of aluminium and are lighter. I picked up a couple of V845 shells (with the chrome pedal) and a V847 (black pedal - aluminium).

I took the guts out of the Crybaby and weighted just the case with pedal and no base plate for each of the different models. The difference in weight is staggering:

Dunlop Crybaby - 1442g (3lb 2oz)
Vox V845 - 982g (2lb 2oz)
Vox V847 - 633g (1lb 6oz)

So, the Crybaby is more than twice the weight of the V847.

No prizes for guessing which shell I'm using!

R.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Wow :)) Knew wahs could be heavy but I never actually weighed them. That is a fair difference. :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I prefer the heavy ones. They feel more controlled and don't move about on the floor if they're not on a board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    I would call even the lightest of the three pretty damned heavy! And remember, this is the empty shell, with no guts or base plate. With all that fitted, the V847 weight rises to close on 2lb.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    You say the Crybaby is old, but are the Vox ones newer? My V847 is not particularly light, pretty much the same as the old Crybaby I had.

Were the old USA-made Dunlop/Vox ones steel and the newer Chinese ones aluminium? Or both aluminium but a thinner casting maybe?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Were the old USA-made Dunlop/Vox ones steel and the newer Chinese ones aluminium? Or both aluminium but a thinner casting maybe?
    None of them are steel, and probably none of them aluminium - or at least not pure aluminium - they're all varieties of soft alloys of some sort, mostly zinc-based I think. I forgot to say that the other reason I don't like the light ones is that sometimes they break, the two brackets that hold the treadle can come off the main body. Not common, but unrepairable if it happens. The old Jen ones seem to be the most prone to it.

There are steel wah casings, but they're the thin sheet-metal type used by Colorsound etc and are even lighter than the Vox.

I'm genuinely puzzled why anyone would complain about the weight of a wah pedal unless they're putting together a rig for touring by air though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wonder what a weeping demon comes in at...

The snarling dogs wah pedals are huge, too.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    That's nothing! 

My two are:
    A Madbean board in what I believe is an old crybaby shell, at 1640g
    And an all-chrome shell from an old Carlsbro way, with a BYOC board inside. That hefty bastard weighs 1970g!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    Try an Ibanez Weeping Demon. They feel like they're carved from a solid lump of metal...even the Junior's pretty heavy.

It does have its benefits, though. I once played a solo standing one-footed on my WD Jr (and I'm about 15st), and it didn't even creak.
    <space for hire>
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    ICBM said:
    I prefer the heavy ones. They feel more controlled and don't move about on the floor if they're not on a board.
    Agreed, as a 'larger man' I do find it reassuring for the Wah pedal to have a degree of heft, feels less like it's going to shatter into a thousand pieces as my size 11 bears down on it..
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Try an Ibanez Weeping Demon. They feel like they're carved from a solid lump of metal...even the Junior's pretty heavy.

It does have its benefits, though. I once played a solo standing one-footed on my WD Jr (and I'm about 15st), and it didn't even creak.
    my weeping demon used to anchor my board to the floor and the rest of my pedals used to orbit around it.

great pedal
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Try an Ibanez Weeping Demon. They feel like they're carved from a solid lump of metal...even the Junior's pretty heavy.

Does the junior sound as good as the original? I want an original but the sheer size does put me off a little, though I could make room if needed...
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    ICBM said:
    I'm genuinely puzzled why anyone would complain about the weight of a wah pedal unless they're putting together a rig for touring by air though!
    Because I'm putting together a largish pedal board involving a few expression pedals - let's say 3. If they all weigh > 3lbs, then that adds > 12lbs to my board (3 expression + 1 wah). I want to keep the weight down.

R.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Budwah is over 2kg - only know that as I just posted one and it cost a fortune!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    First Les Pauls, now wah pedals, this weight obsession is madness I tell you. Mind you, I had the rubber feet on my wah removed and put back on with hide glue, sounds awesomesauce now!

I can't honestly say I've ever chosen effects pedals based on weight, though my liking for Vox coiled leads means that the heavier they are the better probably. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    Does the junior sound as good as the original? I want an original but the sheer size does put me off a little, though I could make room if needed...
    Yes - it's every bit as good. The differences lie in the features rather than the tone. For example, it's a sprung pedal (you don't get the option of leaving the wah cocked, like you can with the full fat version), there's no on/off switch, and the Q control has gone. You still get the auto-off delay and boost controls though, and the taper's exactly the same.

It's exceedingly awesome,
    <space for hire>
  • My Cry Baby is a bit of a lump. But at least it stays in one place!
  • digitalscream;241717" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Yes - it's every bit as good. The differences lie in the features rather than the tone. For example, it's a sprung pedal (you don't get the option of leaving the wah cocked, like you can with the full fat version), there's no on/off switch, and the Q control has gone. You still get the auto-off delay and boost controls though, and the taper's exactly the same.

It's exceedingly awesome,
    That's perfect, will order as soon as possible!