Found my birthyear guitar......

What's Hot
1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
Now I just have to talk myself out of going berserk and buying it ........

64 Jag in LPB 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24996
    edited May 2014
    Is that Ocean Turquoise metallic? What ever it is, it's a great colour.

You should buy it without hesitation.

I bought a year of birth guitar over ten years ago. It's a fantastic excuse for buying a vintage instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    Lovely
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    It's Lake Placid Blue as far as I'm aware............you're not helping :p
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I'm 1969 so if you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit what would be good from 69?  I guess there are other guys here of a similar age to me who might want to know as well.

I detest big headstock Strats so that is not an option.

I don't know what 69 Teles go for but given that it would be highly unlikely to be as good as the CS Tele I've already got then I can probably rule that out.  I don't want to spend that kind of money on a guitar that is just going to sit in its case.

I'm thinking SG or 335 but they would be probably be very big money.

Is there anything that would be cheaper that might be worth a look?
    edited May 2014
    crunchman;244793" said:
    I'm thinking SG or 335 but they would be probably be very big money.

Is there anything that would be cheaper that might be worth a look?
    Gibsons from this period are (relative) vintage bargains.

One on the main reasons is that necks after '65 became narrower, which may not be a feel that works for you - depending to some extent on what you are used to.

Higher spec 345s & 355s are often cheaper than 335s. SG Juniors are very realistically priced and great guitars.

A Tele from '69 can be a hit and miss affair.

I played a '68 Esquire a couple of years ago that was really heavy and had an odd neck profile. A really poor guitar, irrespective of its age. That said, as friend used to own a refinished one from this period that was light as a feather, played superbly and sounded fantastic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    1nten5e said:
    Now I just have to talk myself out of going berserk and buying it ........

64 Jag in LPB
    No… just go berserk and buy it!

One of the coolest guitars in the coolest colour ever, that will only go up in value.

I still miss my sunburst '65.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010

Do it.

No really - do it.

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    were there any good guitars in 75?
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

racefaceec90;244841" said:
    were there any good guitars in 75?
    Get a black Les Paul Custom with 'Witches Hat' knobs.

They are cool guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Without doubt do it!!!

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    is this one on ebay?

I am sure I have seen that before

I would recommend it once it checks out. Wiring type, stamps on pots, stamp on neck heel and on the body etc etc

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7411
    If you can find any excuse to buy that guitar, then do. I'd trade a kidney for it. I'm stuck with 1981. What a crock of shit.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    edited May 2014

The only thing it does have is a filled and touched up strap button hole on the horn, the neck date is Sep 64 B and the pot codes are 304 6408

Do you mind me asking how much? Only, these are hella expensive in the UK. There are a couple on Reverb.com at present... Probably still a good deal cheaper, even with the shipping and 20% customs charge. LPB too.
    GavHaus said:
    If you can find any excuse to buy that guitar, then do. I'd trade a kidney for it. I'm stuck with 1981. What a crock of shit.
    you old bastard
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @meltedbuzzbox thanks for that. My Peter Pan costume looks increasingly silly on me as the years pass
    GavHaus said:
    you old bastard
    At least you'll be able to find something you can afford!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha! I've owned three guitars significantly older than me. Small victories.
    I wouldn't want much from 81 - 89

@GavHaus, im not far behind you mate (83) I have my yob guitar (purchased by accident) an Ibanez Destroyer.