EHX Next step volunme pedal

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

So, I need a volume pedal to play a swell part as it's a bit too complicated for me to play using the volume control on my LP - I was looking at the EHX next step pedal, as I like the idea of no moving parts, but was wondering if any one used them and could give me a review?

Crucial for me is to have a nice smooth sweep, where I can easily create an nice rising exponentially increasing volume swell..

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    You want an Ernie Ball VPJr. Best there is for slow swell type stuff. 

I can't help thinking the EHX is gimmicky, and puts extra strain on cables rather than the pedal. Also can't be easily used on a pedalboard
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    You want an Ernie Ball VPJr. Best there is for slow swell type stuff. 

I can't help thinking the EHX is gimmicky, and puts extra strain on cables rather than the pedal. Also can't be easily used on a pedalboard
    Boss FV-500H or FV-50H if you want a smaller footprint.

I don't like the Ernie Ball, the pedal angle at heel-down is too steep and I find it uncomfortable and awkward. But at least they provide hours of amusement if you ever need to replace or re-attach the string ;).

Agreed that the EH one is a gimmick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Well I like the EB. Never had to fix the string on one yet though.. :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Never tried the Next Step, but I think it looks like a gimmick.

I had an EB I wasn't mad on. 

If you are worried about moving parts then it's the pots that wear out so you could buy an Morley or an AMT. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    I have a mission engineering vm pro which is quite nice. Bought from musik produktiv as cheaper than uk suppliers. I also have an fv-50 which I never really got on with.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    If you want the best option get the EB 6167 keyboard vol pedal.

I talked to Cornish at length about this and he stressed he'd tried all of them and this, IHO, was the best when placed AFTER a buffer.

Hope this helps.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10362
    I've long been tempted by the Slammi which is the same shape format, but also had the same kind of concerns about the practicalities. I think in America they sell what effectively amounts to a tray for them, to keep them presumably from crawling away along the floor with the forward foot motion. I would get a Whammy but the Slammi just sounds better, or the a POG but that has no treadle - I'm just not sure whether the potential trade off in practicality is worth it for the better sound (especially as at £89, they theoretically sound too good to be true)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I use a Morley Pro Plus (or is that the caffine tablets?)...anyway It's great, especially the switchable minimum volume setting....however it's flipping massive, and has the sockets at the side so it realy takes up a lot of space.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

Thanks for the opinions - like the look of the  mission engineering vm pro but it's expensive! not sure how such simple effect pedals can be worth so much...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I used Ernie Ball for years but now using Mission pedals.
    Both are excellent.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

So in the end I managed to find a local store with the EHX next step. Tried. Didn't like. It moved around a lot, the chassi moves, so the cables move with the unit, I just can't see that being a good idea. They should put it in a fixed cradle, would also be a lot more board friendly then.

In the end I bought a morley power wah / volume. The volume side is a nice sweep with Audio Taper. The wah is ok, good enough for my needs as it's an occasional effect. Built well and frees up a slot on the board as now I ditched my Budwah :)

Thanks for the above recommendations, I also tried the EB and Boss, but for what they are they were expensive  IMO, happy to get a deal on the Morley!