NGD - Birmingham Guitar Show Haul

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
Greetings folks,

I was at the Birmingham Guitar Show at the weekend, and must say what a cracking event it was between the live music and variety of stands on offer. If any of you popped over to the tFB stand, an extra thank you to @Roland et al. - it was great to meet some faces :)

I picked up a couple of things at the show, and firstly there is this Classic Player Strat in 2-tone sunburst with upgraded pickups (American Vintage apparently). A previous owner has sanded the neck a little to take the gloss off and it just feels sublime. The gentleman I collected it from was to be found playing alongside Mick Taylor to Purple Rain. Aynsley Lister is a top bloke, very down-to-earth and accomodating. With any luck, some of his playing skill will have been left behind on the fretboard! As Aynsley was demo-ing on the Rift Amps stand, I must say thank you again to Chris who graciously tolerated my presence a couple of times.

So, here it is : 

https://i.imgur.com/8ocIPE9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9ymZquj.jpg

As well as the guitar, I picked up a kit from Michael at Modulus Amps - a Marshall Black Flag 50W kit given to me as a christmas gift (I have trained my boys well). Not an awful lot to see, except a very well packed box of goodies. A build-in-progress thread awaits!

https://i.imgur.com/ItE0iil.jpg

I also met Stu from Sunbear Pickups, who I had been alerted to on facebook. Another thoroughly nice chap with boundless enthusiasm who had made a set of P90's and Tele pickups for me. Impeccably presented (and whilst doesnt affect the tonal output, does show attention to detail), and with a nice personal touch), these are going into a same woods, different pickups buiild later this year.

https://i.imgur.com/Nad9ZJR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s0uVvPo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I0hhtbd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qLT1ZEL.jpg

Lastly, I picked up another Mother Mary strap and slide from James Home of Tone - a chap who never seems to not have a smile upon his face! Sorry - I don't have photo's of these items yet.

So, a grand weekend out :)

Adam
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    @Kalimna ;

Looks like a very productive and somewhat expensive visit! Enjoy..

Looking forward to seeing the amp build.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    @Kalimna ;

Looks like a very productive and somewhat expensive visit! Enjoy..

Looking forward to seeing the amp build.. 
    Productive? Yes. Expensive? Add another 200 notes for a puncture on the way down the M6 in a car we've only had for 3 weeks, and yes it was expensive :(

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15381
    tFB Trader
    @kalimna - Did you see Aynsley's 'Kermit Green' early 70's Strat - Certainly distinctive - I had a play on it for 5 mins through the AL amp and it sounded lush - Yes AL is an easy guy to chat to
    No, I didnt see the Kermit guitar Im afraid - but his Classic Player through the Rift AL had a fabulous clean through overdrive tone. Would have liked to play for longer.
    I'm trying to find a way to afford that Grafitti Yellow CS Strat tho. Not looking hopeful :(
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15381
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    No, I didnt see the Kermit guitar Im afraid - but his Classic Player through the Rift AL had a fabulous clean through overdrive tone. Would have liked to play for longer.
    I'm trying to find a way to afford that Grafitti Yellow CS Strat tho. Not looking hopeful :(
    That G Yellow and his Kermit Green would make a great visual statement - Both are equally vibrant
    Kalimna said:
    That G Yellow and his Kermit Green would make a great visual statement - Both are equally vibrant
    I am not in need of anymore temptation, thankyouverymuch ;) But I do like the current FSR Electron Green......
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Kalimna said:

As well as the guitar, I picked up a kit from Michael at Modulus Amps - a Marshall Black Flag 50W kit given to me as a christmas gift (I have trained my boys well). Not an awful lot to see, except a very well packed box of goodies. A build-in-progress thread awaits!

Yes please very much to the build-in-progress thread!

For reasons that will become clear in a week or two
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    CP Strat looks class...looking forward to a wee shot of it  ;)
    TTony said:
    Kalimna said:

Yes please very much to the build-in-progress thread!

For reasons that will become clear in a week or two
    ;)
    Oooh :) Not sure I'll be making much headway in the next coupla weeks, but I'll keep you posted!

Good luck with yours - what did you choose?
    TINMAN82 said:
    CP Strat looks class...looking forward to a wee shot of it  ;)
    Just back from band practice tonight. It didnt get played much (was using a different Strat), however a brief noodle at the end suggests pickups of superb clarity, and a worn-in rolled edge feel not unlike some of the Custom Shop strats Ive picked up in GuitarGuitar. Me likey very much!
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 323
    edited March 2020
    Nice guitar! Glad you like it. Was at the show too, thought the stripped paint job jeff beck strat at PMT felt great but they wanted too much without a case 
  • Good choice on the black flag kit. And nice strat.
    Cheers - have you built that kit yourself? If so, any advice?
    The Strat really is nice. Having directly ompared to a CS strat, theres not a lot in it at all :)
    Im afraid i dont recall the Jeff Beck strat, but my mate got a cracking deal on a Player Tele from Fairdeal Music.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Kalimna said:
    The Strat really is nice. Having directly ompared to a CS strat, theres not a lot in it at all :)
    Im afraid i dont recall the Jeff Beck strat, but my mate got a cracking deal on a Player Tele from Fairdeal Music.
    It was indeed close, not quite interchangeable but close enough to more than make you’re CP Strat a bargain. Has no doubt benefitted from the pickup upgrade and skilled “custom shop” level attention from a good tech, having been a touring instrument from a pro player. It’s a shame they don’t make that model anymore!
  • Kalimna said:
    No not built any amps yet. But always wanted to try a blackflag marshall. I have a 71 jmp 1987 but always fancied an el34 with gz34 rectifier