Western Jam 2020 - Song List Discussion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Doc is read only to stop anybody on the internet/forum editing it. I can add people to edit access if they PM me their email addresses.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @mrkb - ramdom suggestion - shall we do the boys are back live edit from live and dangermoose with the long outro?

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Here are the tracks I would like to propose:
    Move Over - Slade
    Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - AC/DC
    Cold Hard Bitch - Jet

spark240 said:
    We did google sheet last time, didnt we?
    That is how the process began. 

spark240 said:
    then you put your name in for it. no names = song doesn't get played
    This was what caused some suggested songs to fall by the wayside. 

The whole event depends upon some attendees being willing to learn and play songs of which they are not necessarily fond. The reward for this selfless act is that others return the favour and play whatever minority interest song you proposed.

When this idealistic state of affairs breaks down, the old standards are invoked. Teenage Kicks, Paranoid, Rockin' In The Free World, all the titles that shops used to ask customers to refrain from playing.
    I don't know any of those - how do you play them? (seriously although I could probably dredge up paranoid and a few minutes with a guitar will give me teenage kicks :) )  But i'm a late developer so laid dormant until my late 40s when I started a band and learned a bunch of songs (not those) ! :)

As a serious request/suggestion - the songs that are recorded in Eb coz of downtuning - GnR and Lizzy - can we play in standard?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    +1 for boys are back, personal jesus, superstition
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    nickp said:
    As a serious request/suggestion - the songs that are recorded in Eb coz of downtuning - GnR and Lizzy - can we play in standard?

nickp said:
    +1 for boys are back, personal jesus, superstition

Makes sense. I was going to mention Superstition would be best in E.

As a general point, do we need to make a note of the keys, as I'm guessing whoever sings a song might want to change some keys as well to suit their vocal range.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    nickp said:
    @mrkb - ramdom suggestion - shall we do the boys are back live edit from live and dangermoose with the long outro?

Good suggestion Nick - that would be for @spark240 to agree to as its his suggestion.

Regarding key changes - generally we do them as per the original as, rather than change key to suit the singer, we have the singer(s) choose the songs they can sing in the original key. Even then weve had the odd person not learn songs in the original key!?!

Good point about Eb tunings - theyre a pain to accomodate for, so agree doing them in E is OK as long as singer is aware - I will note those on the spreadsheet when we get to song  lineup sign up time.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    nickp said:

I dont mind what version TBH, I just think the guitar harmonies are worth a go...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited March 2020
    Sorry been slow on this. It the jam goes ahead we will be all hopefully over the worst of it and can enjoy thoroughly.

As I said on the other thread I'd love to play something on the heavy side. I and @Roberty have discussed a couple of songs, his suggestion Godzilla by Fu Manchu and mine a rocking Smashing Pumpkins tune to be confirmed. I spose that would one each for us. The Fu Manchu tune is in D Standard (Maybe drop D would be easier?), but I and Roberty (plus another) would be well prepared, would it be ok?

My other two:
    Serve the Servants: Nirvana. Would consider having a go at vocals. It's in Eb but do it in E.

Last choice, really not sure...... current thinking:

Boys in the Better Land, DC Fontainesl Fast. Punk anthem of 2019, it would be a lot of fun to play. E standard.
    Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss. A ballad in Slayer terms. Can anyone sing such a tune?

Sorry I'm being a bit indecisive

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    If I recall correctly, Factory Studios, Bristol, has a cut-off time before which bookings can be cancelled without penalty.

There is an argument for travelling optimistically, on the assumption that the event can/should go ahead as planned.

The alternative is to cancel now, then, attempt to rebuild moment nearer the rearranged event date.

You either do or do not. Like the Six Nations Rugby Union Football championship this weekend, there is no try.
    Be seeing you.
    I suspect in truth the amount and depth of the shitstorm that is descending will be known in the next fortnight or so - not only the health shitstorm, but the impact on the transport industries, airport staff, bus companies, high street employees, knock on associated industries and the whole lot.........conceivably a game changer for a generation?  We;ll see and fingers crossed