New Blackbox Day.

What's Hot
New Black Box Day.

Just ordered the remarkable 'blackbox' from 1010music.
There isn't much like it about- it is a very compact hardware sampler/sequencer/live looping tool.
Amazing little box.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Nice :) Any chance you can report back with your thoughts/opinions once you've had a decent play?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    Sure, I can do that.
  • octatonic said:
    New Black Box Day.

Just ordered the remarkable 'blackbox' from 1010music.
    There isn't much like it about- it is a very compact hardware sampler/sequencer/live looping tool.
    Amazing little box.

Hi @octatonic Thought I'd revive this thread, I'm really interested in one of these, how are you finding it?
    It is really neat- it is one of about 8 hardware sampler/sequencer type boxes I own,
    It is so compact but powerful.

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited November 2019
    octatonic said:
    It is really neat- it is one of about 8 hardware sampler/sequencer type boxes I own,
    It is so compact but powerful.

Good to hear, the Blackbox seems to be getting a lot of good attention and their recent updates seem to be be really good too,  I'm gassing so hard for one. 
  • Had a play around on a friends Blackbox 1010 and my god it’s an awesome bit of kit. It’s mind blowing what you can get out of this thing it’s seems very addictive and intuitive... I’m not very knowledgeable in samplers/sequencers but GAS is at an all time high for one of these now.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 839
    edited December 2019
    I could do with a hardware sequencer (mainly for specific arpegiator patterns) and sampler (basic one - for adding the odd sound to a live song - hungry like the wolf intro for instance).    This is a little steep price wise for what I need personally - though not sure of whats about much cheaper TBH.  

Ive thought about the beatstep pro for the sequencing - but no samples.

I have the Beatstep Pro.
    It is ace.

If you don't have anything from Elektron though you are missing out- the workflow is genius.
  • @octatonic have you owned a digitakt? if so what's your thought's on this compared to the blackbox? workflow? intuitive? any feedback greatly appreciated
  • @octatonic have you owned a digitakt? if so what's your thought's on this compared to the blackbox? workflow? intuitive? any feedback greatly appreciated
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the BB 1010 but the Digitakt is lurking close around the corner 
    @octatonic have you owned a digitakt? if so what's your thought's on this compared to the blackbox? workflow? intuitive? any feedback greatly appreciated
    Digitakt is Elektron workflow which is great if you want conditional trigs a plenty.

Out of the two I prefer the Digitakt but they are both great.
    You can do more with the BB but the DT makes better music with me in control.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I could do with a hardware sequencer (mainly for specific arpegiator patterns) and sampler (basic one - for adding the odd sound to a live song - hungry like the wolf intro for instance).    This is a little steep price wise for what I need personally - though not sure of whats about much cheaper TBH.  

Ive thought about the beatstep pro for the sequencing - but no samples.

The Blackbox 1010 is simply brilliant I agree it's a bit pricey. I had a play with one for an hour or so and was immediately sold. it will do the stuff that you want to do very well. It's very compact (maybe a little bit bigger than a CD case?) and robust and would be ideal to use on my commute into work and during my lunch break.  You'll need a USB power bank for this as it's USB powered. I've seen a few pop on ebay for £450. Maybe wait until after Xmas and see if ebay do that 20% discount offer.  
  • Well the Blackbox 1010 is simply stunning. Never used a sampler before but it’s incredible, a lot to pick up and learn but I feel I’m going to get hours of fun from this.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    Well the Blackbox 1010 is simply stunning. Never used a sampler before but it’s incredible, a lot to pick up and learn but I feel I’m going to get hours of fun from this.
    Do you guys feel the BB is easy to use ?

I had a Digitakt but the learning curve seems huge and alien.
    Well the Blackbox 1010 is simply stunning. Never used a sampler before but it’s incredible, a lot to pick up and learn but I feel I’m going to get hours of fun from this.

If you struggled with the DT then the 1010 will be different in terms of workflow but it is still a hardware device with the usual caveats and limitations that comes with that.
    I find the workflow natural for both but perhaps that is just how I think.
    I can't say if it will be something you like using or not.
  • Well the Blackbox 1010 is simply stunning. Never used a sampler before but it’s incredible, a lot to pick up and learn but I feel I’m going to get hours of fun from this.

Hi @Wazmeister I’ve only just picked up on this thread. Hope your newly purchased BB is treating you well? I spotted you over at the 1010 music forum. I’m still getting my head round mine but I’m still loving it it’s very inspiring. I connected up my HX Stomp to the BB on fri evening and the recorded guitar parts in the BB sounded excellent (using the amp and cab sims) I just need to mangle and mess it all up but I haven’t quite got that far yet.
    There is a lot to the BB but it seems intuitive. John Park has some great videos on YT he’s defo worth a look. The thing I’m struggling with most is timings and making bits in the sequences loop over a certain amount of time... I still don’t really understand the step count stuff so I really need to study that manual. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 839
    edited December 2020
    @octatonic ;;;;

How is the black box going?

Ive freed up some "home only" space and added a Deem Mind module (for my DCO - looked at the rev 2, but the control sequencer on the DM sold it).

Im VERY tempted with an OB6 as I have no VCO BUT in truth Ive probably got enough synths now.  So Im toying with the idea of a drum machine and hardware sequencer so I can play all my synths with just two hands lol.

I like the TR8s for the drum machine - though its pretty big, but the real time "performace" aspect is great.  Id still have space for a small ish sequencer.

Looking at the black box, the Digitakt, an MPC one and the Squarp Pyramid.

its a bit confusing.... I dont need a "hardware DAW" really (which puts me off the MPC a little) - I need something to sequence my hardware across many midi channels  primarily.  Digitakt seems decent, but limited to some extent - at least next to pyramid.  Pyramid is only a sequencer though - no sounds itself.  Not a bad thing - but if Blackbox does the same "sequencer" type functionality with sound generation n as well it might be the best option.

Ive been watching Loopops vids on all these bits of kit - and I think I could justify any of them to do a job - its trying to decide which is the best for my needs.