Pain in my hand while playing....

What's Hot
stuagustuagu Frets: 334
so, iv just started  getting pain in all the fingers of my fretting hand, I’m 54 so could be arthritis kicking in . Been playing more as like a lot of us I am at home with more time, so the increased amount of playing may have exacerbated the problem. I know don’t know wether to stop playing for a week or two and see if pain goes away or try to play thru it. ? 
Iv stuck a set of lighter strings on which doesn’t seem to have made a lot of difference. 

Any tips on anyway I can deal with this pain, as Playing is one of the things keeping me sane indoors and at the moment I can’t play for long before it becomes too uncomfortable. ?

Thnx in advance 
gu 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 304
    Difficult as it may be, I would suggest not playing if you're in pain. It's fine to carry on playing through aches, but not pain. Best to contact your GP to get it checked out if it persists. Hope it improves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had this a little while back, there are a few useful videos on YouTube which have some stretching exercises to do before you start playing, stuck in my mind after that one of them said playing guitar is a lot of exercise for your hand and that you wouldn't see a sprinter race straight away without warming up and your hands are the same for playing guitar. 

One video I saw also recommended Chinese massage/exercise balls (link below) which I found helpful 

Hope your hand feels better mate its horrible having something stopping you playing 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEALIFTY-Chinese-Exercise-Massage-Phoenixes/dp/B07H9QX4F4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=chinese+hand+massage+balls&qid=1588181716&sprefix=chinese+hand+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTDkzMVUzTEtVMkVDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDgzNDUwMUNDQUk1VkNVRU1INiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTUzNDM5MzA5OEExUTUzQjlBTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    I had similar and it did go away in the end all on its own .My doc ,a PRS  owner (of course) advised me to  move the guitars about maybe  strap it  up higher or even try another guitar .The strat is the most comfortable for me but I play my tele more .I have always had a slight stiffness when playing the basic  C chord and F which was annoying as I played bluegrass for years in 60,s and C was our key to squeeze all our   vocal harmonies in .To add  insult to injury to It I played a Harmony Sovereign which was  a bit awkward  for me .
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Thanx for replies, I appreciate it. I never warm up, ever , so that maybe a start!
    Il post what advice I get from the doc.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    How playable is your guitar? Going down a string gauge may help.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    I used get pain around my thumb (suspected tendonitis). Do not play through the pain. My advice is to take a couple of weeks off playing and rest the hand as much as possible and to ease yourself back into it.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    Thnx for the comments. 
    Yep came down a gauge, no improvement tho .
    I’m going to ease off playing a bit and then do warm ups and see how I go.... 

I’ve spoken to the doc who said because it’s all of sudden , all of my joints in the fretting hand, and coinsides with increased playing activity it’s likely to be tendons rather than arthritis... so that good. 
    Told to rest for a day, play a little next day, if it hurts stop, don’t play too long whatever happens , and repeat... 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I'm 63 in August and I empathise because I have psoriasis and related arthritis which I'm getting in my fretting hand. In my right hand I can bend my index finger to touch my palm. But in the left hand I can't do it 'cold' and its painful to do.  I do exercises to try and keep my left index finger mobile, but I also take an anti-inflammatory tablet each day called Naproxen which helps hugely and allows me to play without discomfort.  You could try ibuprofane - it is an anti-inflammatory and does help, but I found it doesn't last that long whereas the Naproxen lasts the day.  I could take up to two per day but at the moment one tablet is fine. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm with all the warm up people here.  I'm in my 60's and have been warming up for several years now.  In the last 2 years I've been getting more pain each fall as the temperature drops.  I found some easy basic exercises online that, along with a basic warm up help a lot, here:  https://www.powerofpositivity.com/7-exercises-that-relieve-arthritis-pain/

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    A simple warm up, hold your hands out in front, of you  let them go loose, shake them up and down for 1min, you have now stretched your tendons. It does not solve everything, but it does help to get the circulation going and gives you elasticity.

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    See a physio get some exercises not just warm up theres probably an imbalance between say extensor and flexor strength, Rest and physio will hopefully get rid of it
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    edited April 2020
    There was a bit on one of Steve vai's FB live vids recently where he was asked about dealing with the early stage onset of arthritis. He recommended a magnetic bracelet, which he's worn for 15+ years, and apparently has helped him after he started having some issues.......

I'd recently had some pain in my left index finger and thought what the hell, for £30 i'll give it a go. What do I have to lose? - well, £30 actually, but that was a risk I was prepared to take.

I've worn it for 2 or 3 weeks now, and there is noticeably less pain. Is it really helping, is it psychosomatic, has it just healed itsself, am I playing more due to lockdown and exercising through it, is it the warmer weather????? Who knows.............. To be honest, I'm just glad playing is easier again. 

Doesn't make me play like Vai yet tho! 

Think you so much for the concern and ideas, really do appreciate your time and experience. 
    Iv given playing a miss today, as advised, tomorrow il try the warm up stuff + a little playing and see how things feel. I was quite panicky when the pain started as like many others isolated I find guitaring helps me immensely and thought of not having that was ... erm scary. 
    And Just knowing others are interested really helps. Thnx . 
  • After a great deal of playing - learning 40 songs in 6 weeks for a new band - I found swelling in my little finger, top joint, which developed over many months into a larger 'Keef' type swelling and then pain in that joint.  It then developed in my other little finger, and thumb and then my shoulder (very painful).  The consultant just said there's nothing that can be done.  Aargh!

After much research, I've been taking daily supplements of Fish Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitine, Turmeric, and Boron.  All are held to help arthritis, so I take the lot! 

Added to some nightime finger splint wearing ('Oval 8') to keep the fingers straight, I'm now almost totally pain free all over my 60 year old bod!  No way I'm letting it get in the way of my playing - I love it too much!

Hope that helps.
    Thnx, ... well , I played a bit today after a rest yesterday and doing a full warm up and good news...less pain for sure, so not sure if it’s was the rest the warm up or both... but manageable pain levels so that’s great. 
    Thnx 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    In reference to manwithaplan's post, I've been told by some elderly folk and read in some health oriented publications that devils claw root is very effective against arthritis.  I looked into it further and discovered that you have to take it regularly for several months before it takes hold and it is very expensive.  So far my warm up and exercises will do but if needed I would probably try it.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    magnetism...devils root....psychosomatic see a physio - proven