Is there a way to hide certain (coronavirus!) categories?

What's Hot
I would love to be able to customise my feed so I can remove all Coronavirus threads from showing - tbh it's beginning to get on my tits as there is more stuff written about this here than guitar/gear related stuff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    edited May 2020
    That’s why we have a Coronavirus sub section: to keep such threads out of the main Off Topic section.

You can hide the whole of OT from the Home page by clicking the cog icon, but you can’t hide Coronavirus alone

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    Maybe then could I request that coronavirus has it's own section? There are so many C19 threads and comments on here atm it would be good for those of us that don't want to be bombarded, to be able to hide it completely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Maybe then could I request that coronavirus has it's own section? There are so many C19 threads and comments on here atm it would be good for those of us that don't want to be bombarded, to be able to hide it completely. 
    It’s too difficult to manage unless the off topic topics are all kept in one area. 

At some point the CV section will disappear completely. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    +1
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    It’s too difficult to manage unless the off topic topics are all kept in one area. 

Okay, so we cannot move coronavirus so it is a main category all by itself? Shame, because I do contribute to the off topic section as a whole, so I guess it is all or nothing then..
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27459
    Bridgehouse said:

Just promote the Coronavirus subsection to be a full level section.  Then people can choose to hide it and avoid being dragged into that swamp, or not.  It’s not really going to add any work to the modmins.

Alternatively, change the permissions so that it’s hidden from public view by default (as with the P&E subsection) and then threads in that subsection won’t show in the Recent Discussions view.

You mean you’re developing a vaccine?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Just promote the Coronavirus subsection to be a full level section.  Then people can choose to hide it and avoid being dragged into that swamp, or not.  It’s not really going to add any work to the modmins.

Alternatively, change the permissions so that it’s hidden from public view by default (as with the P&E subsection) and then threads in that subsection won’t show in the Recent Discussions view.

You mean you’re developing a vaccine?
    S’not my call - it’s @digitalscream ’s 

And I have the perfect vaccine - it’s bottle shaped
     :+1:

@digitalscream  @Bridgehouse   

(and with apologies to the OP for derailing his thread).

Lee can fix it!

I’m really disappointed with the way that the CV subsection has “evolved”.  Well, ditto the P&E section too really.  The latter certainly started out as an area for sensible discussion and debate, but most threads now seem to be dogma grenades launched from one trench or the other.  The trolls haven’t helped - they’ve been allowed to drag the standard down.

These threads aren’t, by and large, “discussions”.  They’re trench warfare (as Brexit became too) with no real purpose that I can see (other than giving a voice to the largely - and preferably - dumb).

The CV section *should* have been a platform for members to share experiences, concerns, questions (etc).  My view is that there is/was a definite need for that for our members.  We had people here with direct knowledge and experience, that would have been valuable to the rest of us.  But they’ve largely been pushed out by the ignorant.  That’s a real, and sad loss.

:(

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Maybe we need a social distancing rule for CV threads?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

Lee can fix it!

I’m really disappointed with the way that the CV subsection has “evolved”.  Well, ditto the P&E section too really.  The latter certainly started out as an area for sensible discussion and debate, but most threads now seem to be dogma grenades launched from one trench or the other.  The trolls haven’t helped - they’ve been allowed to drag the standard down.

These threads aren’t, by and large, “discussions”.  They’re trench warfare (as Brexit became too) with no real purpose that I can see (other than giving a voice to the largely - and preferably - dumb).

The CV section *should* have been a platform for members to share experiences, concerns, questions (etc).  My view is that there is/was a definite need for that for our members.  We had people here with direct knowledge and experience, that would have been valuable to the rest of us.  But they’ve largely been pushed out by the ignorant.  That’s a real, and sad loss.

Apology accepted :lol: 

No, seriously, thanks for your input! I know we have a choice to read these threads, but they are pretty dominant right now and imo getting in the way of other stuff that I would rather read about. If I want nonstop repetition on C19 I can always turn on the box.
    TTony said:

Lee can fix it!

Don’t disagree with any of that. The CV section always was for public info and not political nonsense. 

Ho hum.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    TTony said:

Lee can fix it!

Heh..."dogma grenades". I'm gonna use that.

Anyway, done. Apologies to all, I've been a bit of an absentee landlord of late - turns out that startup life is a bit more all-consuming than even I'm used to. I'll be back in a more active capacity in a couple of weeks or so...

In the meantime, you're all at the mods' mercy - good luck. And I mean that ;)
    <space for hire>
    Okay thanks for doing that :+1: 

Can I ask how I unhide the OT category now that this has been addressed?

Thanks again!

Roland’s first reply should sort that out ...
    And thanks Lee
    :)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I would love to be able to customise my feed so I can remove all Coronavirus threads from showing - tbh it's beginning to get on my tits as there is more stuff written about this here than guitar/gear related stuff.
    I thought the same when there was slouch carp about Brexit on here. I think I removed Off-Topic section in the end.
    TTony said:

But having hidden OT earlier, it is no longer there so I cannot unhide it...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    TTony said:

Click "All Categories" on the homepage, instead of "Followed Categories".
    <space for hire>
    TTony said:

Click "All Categories" on the homepage, instead of "Followed Categories".
    Gotcha! Thanks :)
    Coronavirus FREE!!! At last. Thanks guys :+1: