Strange issue when viewing the forum on mobile

I mainly use my mobile to access the Fretboard but I don't much like the mobile site, much preferring the desktop version. Up until a few months ago viewing the desktop site was fine but since then it has been behaving oddly. When I have a page of conversations open the text is a little small (for my eyes) to read clearly but when I try to zoom in using the touch screen an effect like a white shutter rises from the bottom of the screen. If I continue zooming the 'shutter' rises to the top, obliterating everything on the screen. The lower down the list of conversations I try to zoom to the quicker the screen gets obliterated. Drives me nuts.

This only happens on the Fretboard and not any other web sites or other forums.

My mobile is a Moto G6+ running Android 9.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any suggestions as to how I can rectify it. I've not been able to use a different mobile to see whether the problem is unique to mine. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Unlikely you can rectify it.  Most likely down to thr responsive design of thr website and right framework in which it's built. 

Use mobile view its fine for me.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Unlikely you can rectify it.  Most likely down to thr responsive design of thr website and right framework in which it's built. 

Thanks. Yep, I guess mobile view will have to do but the strange thing is that this 'shutter' issue only started a while ago. Before that desktop view worked fine on my mobile. I've had the same mobile for about 18 months so either something has changed - due to a Moto system update or a setting I've inadvertently changed? - or possibly a change to this site?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Jimbro66 said:

Thanks. Yep, I guess mobile view will have to do but the strange thing is that this 'shutter' issue only started a while ago. Before that desktop view worked fine on my mobile. I've had the same mobile for about 18 months so either something has changed - due to a Moto system update or a setting I've inadvertently changed? - or possibly a change to this site?
    There have been no changes to the site in that time. More likely it's an OS update on your phone that's changed the way the site renders.
    <space for hire>
    Jimbro66 said:

There have been no changes to the site in that time. More likely it's an OS update on your phone that's changed the way the site renders.
    Thanks for clarifying DS. It looks like I’m probably powerless to do anything about it then. I’ll have to settle for mobile view.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    edited May 2020
    EDIT: try this route instead. At the very bottom of the forum page, change from Mobile Site to 'Full Site'.

This gives the standard webpage but the text will be small which sounds like what you are getting. 

Go to your Chrome settings with the 3 dots at the top right of your screen and untick the 'desktop site' box and the text should get bigger.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Both Apple and Samsung updates have made text smaller.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited May 2020
    Does android have an option to increase text size? I use that on my iPhone on mobile view. It’s much easier to read at 115%
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    DiscoStu said:
    EDIT: try this route instead. At the very bottom of the forum page, change from Mobile Site to 'Full Site'.

This gives the standard webpage but the text will be small which sounds like what you are getting. 

Go to your Chrome settings with the 3 dots at the top right of your screen and untick the 'desktop site' box and the text should get bigger.
    Thanks @DiscoStu that has certainly helped. I'd not noticed the Full Site option at the bottom of the forum page. I'd been choosing Desktop Site from the Chrome drop-down menu. Following your method makes all text a little larger on the phone's screen and easier to read. I still get the weird shutter effect when zooming in but there is now less need to do that.

Wazmeister said: Both Apple and Samsung updates have made text smaller. Interesting @Wazmeister. It looks like Motorola might have done the same.

stickyfiddle said: Does android have an option to increase text size? I use the ton my iPhone on mobile view. It’s much easier to read at 115% Yes @stickyfiddle there are options in the phone's settings and in Chrome settings to increase font size but it seems to have no effect at all on the Fretboard's web site.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The shutter effect will probably forever remain a mystery but luckily it only affects this site.