22nd fret, can an action height be achieved that is lower than 1.5mm without buzzing.

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
edited May 2020 in Guitar
In an ideal world, I'd like an action height at around 1.5mm or less, all over the neck on a 22 fret neck.

I'm playing a lot of lines between the 12th and 22nd frets, so this action would help.

Has this been achieved?

And if it has, how?

Thanks
Guy
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    “I saw this and thought of you”. https://youtu.be/EeXkvwmH0ts
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Yes - at least if you mean 2mm. 1.5-1.6mm at the 12th fret is normal, so it should still be no more than 2mm at the 22nd. Make sure the neck is as straight as possible without rattling in the low positions - relief less than .010", preferably lower.

It might be difficult on a 7.25" radius board if you bend a lot, but it still should be close.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1736
    My Fender replacement strat neck on my telecaster is a roasted maple 12 inch radius and  the widdly side is 1.70 mm .The bass side is 2.1 at the 22nd fret  though  it might well go lower .I tend to just set them up by playing .A straight neck ,strings on the ground then raise them until  they dont rattle .Probably the wrong way to do it .I normally  put  just a tad of relief in .
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 988
    A flat as possible fretboard and straight as possible neck will help. Then there are guitars like Vigier where the action can be set ridiculously low.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 464
    I consider 2mm at the 22nd fret to be medium-high.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    My Parker fly deluxe had an insanely low action (not that I ever measured it). Although I could play fast and smooth on that guitar my preference eventually went towards higher actions. I prefer to dig in a bit rather than glide around at speed. 

I'm not saying that it is the case with you, but years ago I just thought that super low action would be the best thing, but the reality for me was that other things also come into play.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    Thanks for the advice, with some more precise truss rod adjustment, I've managed to get the low E string to be nearly 2mm at the 22nd fret without buzzing, but I'd like to get lower.

It's a bolt on neck, so I am considering a shim at the front of the neck to raise the fretboard. Will this help?
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    edited May 2020
    GuyBoden said:
    Thanks for the advice, with some more precise truss rod adjustment, I've managed to get the low E string to be nearly 2mm at the 22nd fret without buzzing, but I'd like to get lower.

It's a bolt on neck, so I am considering a shim at the front of the neck to raise the fretboard. Will this help?
    I think you're fundamentally limited by the fact that.... strings vibrate. They move around when they're struck and this creates buzz. There will also be tiny inconsistencies of fret height, unless yours are freshly - and perfectly - dressed.

If you can't do what you want on a 2mm string height at 22, it's not the string height that's the problem.
    danny_777 said:
    GuyBoden said:

I think you're fundamentally limited by the fact that.... strings vibrate. They move around when they're struck and this creates buzz. There will also be tiny inconsistencies of fret height, unless yours are freshly - and perfectly - dressed.

If you can't do what you want on a 2mm string height at 22, it's not the string height that's the problem.
    Yes, you're correct, strings vibrate in an elliptical pattern, lighter strings more so than thicker.

Like most guitars the action is at it's highest at the 22nd fret. I am playing a lot of lines between the 12th and the 24th frets, so I find this higher action a bit annoying and would like to get it lower.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    GuyBoden said:
    Getting the low E lower than that at the 22nd and having it vibrate *cleanly* is going to be very difficult unless you play with a feather for a pick. The high E, maybe... but only just.

Some players do play very lightly and/or are more tolerant of fret buzz, but personally I wouldn't even try to get it lower than that.

GuyBoden said:

Only if the reason it won't go lower now is because the bridge is bottomed out. A shim only adjusts the relationship between the neck and the bridge, it doesn't change how low you can get the action relative to the frets.

In fact, a shim can sometimes introduce a very slight up-turn at the very end of the neck, so it might be counterproductive if you're right on the limit already.

danny_777 said:

This.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Getting the low E lower than that at the 22nd and having it vibrate *cleanly* is going to be very difficult unless you play with a feather for a pick. The high E, maybe... but only just.

Some players do play very lightly and/or are more tolerant of fret buzz, but personally I wouldn't even try to get it lower than that.

GuyBoden said:

Only if the reason it won't go lower now is because the bridge is bottomed out. A shim only adjusts the relationship between the neck and the bridge, it doesn't change how low you can get the action relative to the frets.

In fact, a shim can sometimes introduce a very slight up-turn at the very end of the neck, so it might be counterproductive if you're right on the limit already.

danny_777 said:

This.

Excellent info and advice as usual. Many thanks, I suppose I'll have to live with this action height.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Just checked my PRS SE, which I think of as having a medium-low action, but not 20 inch radius flat board widdly-woo action. It's a tiny fraction over 2mm at the 22nd fret, as in I can just (barely) slide a 2mm thick pick between fret and string leaving a tiny gap. Bit more on the low E.

Also, I endorse:

Check Yngwie's action some time. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    Matt_McG said:
    Check Yngwie's action some time. 
    ... or Gilmour's or SRV's or Roy Buchanan's.

My advice is not to get too hung up on action statistics. I have often found that guitars become more usefully playable after raising the action (or going up a gauge without adjusting the truss rod tension). 

ICBM said:
    Yes - at least if you mean 2mm. 1.5-1.6mm at the 12th fret is normal, so it should still be no more than 2mm at the 22nd. Make sure the neck is as straight as possible without rattling in the low positions - relief less than .010", preferably lower.

Getting the low E lower than that at the 22nd and having it vibrate *cleanly* is going to be very difficult unless you play with a feather for a pick. 
    The other circumstance where this sort of set-up makes sense is for the Stanley Jordan two-handed touch playing approach. i.e. Faux Chapman Stick, low tension, low action, very stiff/straight neck. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited June 2020
    I've increased the action slightly at 22nd fret, I have a light(ish) touch, but it did buzz a bit when I got too excited when playing.
    ICBM said:
    danny_777 said:

This.

I'm concentrating on playing Legato on this guitar and a low action at the higher frets seems to help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7407
    I’d struggle to bend a string with a 1.5mm action, I find the tend to slide under my fingers. Do you bend strings? If so what’s the best technique?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    I’d struggle to bend a string with a 1.5mm action, I find the tend to slide under my fingers. Do you bend strings? If so what’s the best technique?

No, I never bend strings, not really my style, but I like players who do it well.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319

I managed to get the action of my Tele silly low, like under 1mm on the 12th Fret for the High E and about 1.2mm on the Low E. It does not buzz anywhere.

For the Strat due to the relief on the neck I can only manage to get it to about 2mm on the low E and 1.5mm on the High E on the 12 fret. In fact the saddle for the Low E doesn’t go any lower. So to get it any lower I need to straighten the neck more or cut the nut deeper. But I plan to put 9’s on it next time so it should be lower then.

Both are 7.25” radius.

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 478

I managed to get the action of my Tele silly low, like under 1mm on the 12th Fret for the High E and about 1.2mm on the Low E. It does not buzz anywhere.

For the Strat due to the relief on the neck I can only manage to get it to about 2mm on the low E and 1.5mm on the High E on the 12 fret. In fact the saddle for the Low E doesn’t go any lower. So to get it any lower I need to straighten the neck more or cut the nut deeper. But I plan to put 9’s on it next time so it should be lower then.

Both are 7.25” radius.

A small shim at the front of the Stratocaster neck pocket will enable you to achieve a lower action.