What even is "vintage"?

What's Hot
Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
So I used to think that "vintage" meant four things:

- Old (-er than, let's say 25 years)
- Desirable (as in has retained a good part of its value, or even increased in value)
- Good (as in, an example of quality manufacturing)
- Of interest (as in, notably different in some way from current manufacture)

So for example a '59 burst easily meets all four criteria.

But, like, I have this 1991 PRS Custom 24. It wouldn't occur to me to think "vintage" about it, and yet it also meets all four criteria. I wouldn't sell it as "vintage". It just isn't "vintage" to my eyes.

But then, what is? It's old, it's good, it's valuable, it's interesting. So what's the actual definition of a "vintage" guitar, then? Is it more contextual, like because of the history of electric guitars it's really only '50s Gibsons and pre--CBS Fenders that actually deserve that description? But is that then not reductive?

What's your definition of vintage, and what guitars does it/doesn't it include?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When will 59 bursts become ‘antique’? 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4067
    Vintage makes me think of the golden era Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Overpriced, overhyped and covered in 30+ years of someone else's sweat gunk. Not for me :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    I'm a peasant when it comes to wine but doesn't vintage mean a certain good year - As such a '59' bottle might be good and a '58' bottle not so good - depends on the grape

In guitar terms many now refer to it as over 25 or 30 years, which I disagree with - But I can see it is a simple statement to make - But I tend to refer to it as per @chrisj1602 that certain makes from a certain era are 'vintage' - But vintage doesn't mean it's good either on that basis 

In guitar terms it is just an adjective that doesn't need to be applied - An advert for a Gibson 1959 Les Paul Standard is all we need to know - We know what it is - We don't need to see it as Vintage Gibson 1959 Les Paul Standard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    When will 59 bursts become ‘antique’? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I think you can clean them! I've had to do a thorough clean on a modern guitar that I received in a filthy condition recently.  Over-priced? Well, if someone's prepared to pay the price, perhaps not. Over-hyped? Almost certainly in some cases, though I have a 1953 ES-295 that sounds and feels superb, better than the reissue that I had, a 1955 ES-130 that is sublime, and a 1963 Guild Capri that is a joy to play and the latter two being about half the price of a Custom Shop Strat, if that.

I also have some modern guitars that I like very much, but the older ones feel, and sound, different. Horses for courses.
    Call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    I have a hard time accepting anything made after the 1970s as 'vintage', although some of the *better* - they often aren't, though - 70s instruments do qualify. I don't think of any guitar gear made in the 80s or later as vintage, even if it's up to 40 years old now. Maybe some analogue synths and drum machines count...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    ICBM said:
    I have a hard time accepting anything made after the 1970s as 'vintage', although some of the *better* - they often aren't, though - 70s instruments do qualify. I don't think of any guitar gear made in the 80s or later as vintage, even if it's up to 40 years old now. Maybe some analogue synths and drum machines count...
    Pretty much my feelings as well
    We are all Chameleons...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825

That's what I thought. Antique is over 100 years old. Vintage is old but not antique. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010

In '59.

Although one person on some site argued black and blue that "antique just meant old and desirable".
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Vintage means they stopped making the correct parts for it years ago and the warranty has run out.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Vintage is usually a generation or so old.  Antique is anything 100 years.

My Les Paull will be vintage in about 5 years, which is strange!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    In the wine world (where the "vin" bit comes from), it just means an identifiable year. However, there is a lot of understanding by the cognoscienti as to what a particular estate/region's vintage means as far as the end product goes.

In guitars, much like cars, "vintage" tends to refer to older, with an implication of quality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3176
    Interestingly enough was pondering this last week when I plugged in my old FX500 Yamaha effects unit, the screen says copyright 89 so that makes it 30 years old , still works so ticks quality of manufacturing box, desirable well that’s questionable however does make some good noises .

so can I advertise it as vintage effects?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    The cutoff is 1980.
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    edited June 2020
    Vintage guitars are guitars made in the golden era , I’d say 50s and 60s. A guitar doesn’t become a vintage guitar just because it’s 25 years old.
    If you pick up any book on vintage guitars it’ll be 50s and 60s ones mainly.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31951
    Vintage in electric guitar terms means pre '66 Fenders and pre 1970 Gibsons.

My '77 Strat will never be vintage and no PRS ever will be. 

Guitar dealers may beg to differ, but then they would, wouldn't they. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    edited June 2020
    I'd sort of agree with @andrewaward above.

For something to be vintage it needs to have an "era" associate with it - 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, maybe 90s now (just). Noughties? Only if you are still living with your parents. 2010s? Definite not an"era" .... Yet....
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    edited June 2020
    I'm not really sure vintage is the right/a useful word anymore, particularly if it denotes 25 years. There's no way I'm having Yamaha Pacificas and Affinity Strats as vintage 

Anything before about 1980 when even the big manufactuters switched some of their output East could be a decent cut-off as mentioned but I'm not sure what you'd call it.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Older than me :skull: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer