The 3rd edition of the bible is out soon

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 17144
edited June 2020 in Making & Modding
you can sign up for a notification for when its ready here:

http://www.melvynhiscock.com/

i would never have made a guitar if it wasn't for a chance discovery of the 2nd edition back in 1998!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28196
    Thanks Wez - signed up for the notification!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8890
    Me too (if that is a politically acceptable expression these days)
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This just hit the mood of the moment. Thanks @WezV ;
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6297
    I shouldn't laugh but when I saw the bible reference and then glanced at the url which in that moment I thought said ' Melvyn his cock' I thought for a minute this was a parody post  :3
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14893
    Plenty of guitar nerds will possess a copy of the second edition of the book. It was always useful as a source of ideas to steal. The other ones were by Donald Brosnac and Adrian Legg.

Today, we have t’Interweb … and no shortage of opinionated “influencers” who may or may not know whereforeof they speak.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 410
    Thanks - signed up just now.  I read the first edition several times from cover to cover over a 2 year period before deciding to make my first guitar.  
    Cant wait get my hands on the new edition. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5641
    That was my go-to when I started building. Great book. It would be nice if the new version was in colour!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17144
    Plenty of guitar nerds will possess a copy of the second edition of the book. It was always useful as a source of ideas to steal. The other ones were by Donald Brosnac and Adrian Legg.

Today, we have t’Interweb … and no shortage of opinionated “influencers” who may or may not know whereforeof they speak.
    when i was starting out the internet advice was to read the book first, then come ask your questions. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1820
    Yes will sign up for that 

I can never thank him enough for introducing me to Rustins Plasticote  lol and i remember annoying tool company’s way back when trying to find the fine sized  circular saw blades he recommended for a way of cutting multiple fret slots. 

Pre Internet it was essential reading

Pre Internet it was essential reading
    I still think it should be considered essential reading   It covers almost anything you could want to do with a guitar build, all in one handy place. 

There is no resource on the internet that is as comprehensive, well structured and easy to follow.  It also encourages creativity in the whole process, from the initial design on.

The internet is great  for additional reading and discussing ideas and techniques with others

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14893
    Dan Erlewine is another good source. Originally, much of his output appeared as a column in monthly magazine. These articles were eventually gathered together into books.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28196
    WezV said:

There is no resource on the internet that is as comprehensive, well structured and easy to follow. 

Or proven, or reliable.

Dan Erlewine is another good source. Originally, much of his output appeared as a column in monthly magazine. 
    I've got a couple of his somewhere too.  And a "how to do fretting" DVD ... that I don't think I've ever watched
     :# 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3115
    Thanks Wez, done!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11807
    tFB Trader
    The first edition was new when I was at guitar making college, and I thoroughly enjoyed and devoured it. 
    I ought to get he new edition to go with the first two.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11807
    tFB Trader

Dan Erlewine is another good source. Originally, much of his output appeared as a column in monthly magazine. These articles were eventually gathered together into books.
    Dan was the one I learnt so much from - the columns, the books and videos
    I still have all the old StewMac NTSC VHS cassettes - I remember my girlfriend at the time needing to know why our video machine had to be able to play NTSC stuff ......she came to be a bit fed up with Dan after a while as I watched him so much.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8890
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 763
    I have a well worn copy of the second edition and have just signed up for a notification.

I enjoy the real, material value of a printed resource just as much as an Internet source. They are different and complimentary.

The ephemeral nature of the Internet has taught me not to rely on it exclusively - having crucial knowledge and experience presented in a friendly and engaging way is invaluable to have safe and secure on my bookshelf.

Yet where else can you engage directly with knowledgeable people on a forum, quickly search for an answer via a search engine or watch a video demonstration? And from a wide range of builders all with different but equally valid approaches. The Internet is fantastic too. 

We really are very lucky to have both types of resources available to us. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 410
    and this forum is a goldmine .....kudos/thanks to the mods, originators and contributors.  
    Its my favourite place on the web (just narrowly beating Tom Bukovac's video series on YT) 
    This is out now folks.   

I didn't get an email, but saw on Facebook Melvyns widow was busy dispatching the books.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 763
    edited April 2021
    @WezV thanks for the heads-up, I've placed my order just now. Following Melvyns death I had wondered when, or even if it was going to be released, so I'm pleased too see that it is now available and benefiting his widow. I'm sure the book will be as informative and entertaining as the previous editions, and act as a fitting tribute to a talented writer and educator.