Interesting overdrive recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Anyway, here is the adaptive distortion :) check the rhythm sound on the neck pickup after the big solo demo, it's pretty cool (to my ears).  And I know I have quite funny ideas of what sounds good and what doesn't... ;)
    So do I :).

That demo is interesting…

With both the LP Standard (especially) and the Strat, there is an irritating washy buzz behind the cleaner main distortion sound which probably makes it a no-go for me. I really hate that. It's there on the longer demo as well.

But with the old LP Custom, there isn't and it sounds great! I knew I liked those guitars, but how does it fix the buzz from the pedal?!

Surprisingly one of the best stand-alone digital overdrives I've heard yet was the Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp pedal - I would perhaps have bought it, except that the pedal is so poorly designed from a functional point of view (awkward gain and volume controls, no footswitch option for the tremolo alone, no speaker-emulated output) that it was useless to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Actually if you want an "interesting" drive pedal and you don't mind digital then you could give the Soundblox Multiwave a try. 

Loads of really interesting crazy sounds in there:

Pete Thorn does a great demo:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;262023" said:
    Actually if you want an "interesting" drive pedal and you don't mind digital then you could give the Soundblox Multiwave a try. 

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox/multiwave_distortion.php

Loads of really interesting crazy sounds in there:

Pete Thorn does a great demo:

I really want one of these :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    If I was playing in an originals band I'd definately get one as I think there is so much shaping power in there that you could get some really interesting signature sounds out of one.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    Ooo boss os-2.
    Nah, that's overdrive/distortion - not fuzzy or gritty.

I have an odd story about those. Years ago I bought one from the bargain bin at a large shop for a tenner - it looked like it had been run over by a tank and the switch didn't work, but I guessed it would be fixable. It was… I used it for a couple of years and it always sounded great - very full and open-sounding, quite amplike. It was actually the pedal which made me realise I prefered 'distortion' to 'overdrive' since my favourite sounds were all to the Dist side of the dial.

Then I got a valve amp with an overdrive channel, and thought I didn't need the pedal, so I sold it. But soon I missed it, so I went and bought another one - new, since I knew I liked it already. I never even tried it in the shop. Mistake… it didn't sound like my old one. Since then I've bought about three or four more, and they all sound the same, not like the old one - too smooth and boxy, or too hollow and buzzy, or both at the same time.

So was the first one an "early" version? They don't appear to have ever been different, there doesn't seem to have been a 'Made In Japan' version or anything (there was no label on the old one though, so I can't tell for sure). Or was it broken in some other way that I didn't realise? Or modded? I'll never know now...
    Have you tried running a new one over with a tank?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Another vote for the G4 Muff.  It's everything described in the OP, from either side of the pedal.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Thanks again chaps. Id never even thought of the soundblox multiwave. I also like the demos ive been able to find for the others.

Much obliged