(Another) LP Junior DC build (finished!)

What's Hot
davrosdavros Frets: 1324
edited September 2020 in Making & Modding
I thought there can never be too many Les Paul DC Junior build threads, so here's another one! This may take a while as I've got some boring house projects to get done at the same time, but this should be a nice distraction.

So far, I've built a guitar from scratch at Crimson Guitars, and 2 bodies at home since using bought necks. This will be my first attempt at a scratch build without any help (wish me luck!). I'm planning on making this pretty close to vintage, my main divergence will be using a dual-action truss rod both because this is what we used at Crimson, and it reduces the amount that needs to be cut away at the headstock, giving a little more strength.

Previous builds:

Step one was obtaining some plans - all the ones I could find to buy seemed to be not quite right for some reason, but then I stumbled on these (LINK) which are ridiculously comprehensive. I was planning to buy templates online but the only comprehensive set I could find were going to cost me over £100 to get them from the USA. So, I had the plans printed at 1:1 scale at my local print shop, and proceeded to make templates from 9mm MDF.

I like to use a combination of a short router bit for the first cuts, then a longer one, so 9mm templates work well for me, and don't require as much sanding as thicker MDF. I've struggled with making templates before using a jigsaw, files and hand sanding but it was a breeze for this build using a combo of my cheapo Aldi router table (for the straight bits), a new band saw and a spindle sander. Having decent tools meant this only took a day and the edges are lovely and square.

So, I'm now waiting on lots of goodies to arrive, so I can start building proper.

Goodies in transit:
  • African mahogany body blank
  • African mahogany 1-piece neck blank
  • Indian rosewood slotted fingerboard (I'm not brave enough to slot myself yet)
  • Oil City Firewatch P90
  • Faber 'tone bar' bridge
  • 3-on a plate Kluson tuners
  • Dual action truss rod
Next update when the wood arrives from Guitars and Woods in Portugal.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited June 2020
    Great - will definitely be following your build. 

Yes, a bandsaw and spindle sander make template making a breeze as I have also recently come to realise. 

Really loving that 2nd pic - bit Starla like which is no bad thing IMHO.   Really nice looking guitar. 

EDIT - I think its a good choice to go with the Faber compensated bridge.  I used Faber non-comp on both my Juniors for a more  traditional approach and tbh the intonation still drives me a bit nuts as I am a stickler for tuning. I'm planning to swap them both for compensated fabers or PRS bars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1324
    Thanks Pete,

I've already checked out your build thread, good to learn from how others have approached things. Hopefully I can come somewhere near the standard of your builds!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    I’m guessing that this ...

davros said:

... was your Crimson build?

Interesting shape.  I’ve long liked the Crimson semi-hollow LP-ish design.

Looks like the course has properly inspired you to do more too - which makes it an excellent course to my mind!  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Yes, that was the Crimson build, although it wasn't one of their shapes. I'd planned it all out and made templates before going, which saved me a bit of time and allowed me to make it a bit more complex than the standard builds.

The course was great, but I was pretty happy with using the tools etc. beforehand. The main thing for me was building the neck. Hopefully I can translate what i did on the course without having a massive planer/thicknesser!
    edited June 2020
    If your blanks are ready-to-go, then you shouldn't need a planer/thicknesser.  I only use mine when I'm prepping wood from raw planks, or (the thicknesser) when I'm messing around making extra bits, like today - usually because I've mucked something up

[edit]
    davros said:
    I'd planned it all out and made templates before going, 
    Very nice!!!  Don't often see a new shape that works so well.
    Nice design - makes my efforts seem shabby.    

You can also get by without thicknesser / planers by making a router sled and hand finishing with planes or sanding if you have any machining marks left after routing.   Carefully set up, you can get very accurate thicknessing done this way.  1/4" fretboards from thicker rough stock are pretty straightforward to do. 
    I use one of these surfacing bits ...

... it's very effective.

Wealden tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I made a router sled to thin down the body blank of my last build, 2 identical aluminium spirit levels for the sides and some aluminum L section for the slidey bit. Worked ok, but using a normal 1/2 inch router bit it was slow and needed quite a bit of sanding. Will check out the wealden bit, it looks very handy!
    It's an excellent bit.

It's accurate and will take 0.5mm off the face of a piece if needed, with ease.  I used it today to flatten a piece that was slightly twisted (so it rocked when I put it through the thicknesser and came out just as twisted, just thinner!).  Created one perfectly flat face by packing underneath the twist, flipped it over and flattened the other face.  Job done.

Messy though ...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    When I did my very first build, years ago now (2013 I think) I did it online (on the Gibson forum) and shared it with the whole world and recorded some of my progress.  I also only had the most basic of tools and I wanted to thin  a headstock veneer.. This is how I did it back then anyway.. It worked if not the most elegant way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUhHWab1h0
    Wealden also do a 1" surface trim bit with curved edges to leave a very clean surface. It's excellent. 
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    I love the shapes of the originals, they look really well made too. Best of British with the Junior build, looking forward to plenty of pics  
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    Unfortunately, the Bosch router I bought recently doesn't have a 1/2 inch collet, and neither does the one in my table router so the large diameter one above won't work, but looks like they have a smaller 1/4 inch one, so might give that a try
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I use the 1/4” shaft Wealden flattening bit.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Wealden 1/4' shaft surface trim 1" bit - works a treat.      their code T2410

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Surface_Trim__3_Wing_250.html

Awesome, just need it to come back into stock now!!!
    My wood has arrived!

Kudos to Guitars and Woods in Portugal, it arrived quickly, well packaged and looks to be great quality, lightweight African mahogany. Prices aren't bad too.

...and so the build begins!

Looks like nice stuff.  What finish are you planning ? 
    edited July 2020
    The body is almost done (I'll get some pics up shortly), but I made a booboo drilling from the pickup cavity to the control cavity. A combination of starting the hole too low, and using a 6mm instead of 5mm bit. Very lucky it didnt break through the top but would like some advice on how to fix it so i can redrill it properly.

I was thinking of getting some 6mm mahogany/sapele dowel, hammering it in with some glue, then re-routing both ends, any better options?
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Glue a length of dowel into the hole, trim flush and redrill? 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom