SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1981 Yamaha SG1000, the LP Killer - 40 year old stunner c/w all the trimmings

What's Hot
JGCJGC Frets: 156
edited March 2022 in Guitars £
Superb example of a true vintage 1981 Yamaha SG1000, well deserving of its reputation as the "Les Paul Killer".

With a good setup, such as this one, you'd be hard pressed to find any guitar that plays as well with a slick low action....if that's not to your taste just raise the bridge !

What makes this one special for both a player and collector is that it comes with the original hard case, original truss rod tool, original polishing cloth, original leather strap and 3 original Yamaha brochures - I've never seen another that has everything with it.

The guitar is stock except for the strap buttons which have been replaced by Schaller straplocks, probably a good idea as the guitar weighs 4.2kgs/9.25ibs.

The top and neck are very clean with few marks, although the back has a few more marks and the lower bout has a number of marks where the guitar has clearly been in contact with some hard surfaces, having said that it's not bad really and there is no sign of any clouding to the finish which can be an issue with some Yamaha SGs. There are 3 small screw holes on the bottom, back and upper horn where a previous owner has tried different strap button placements - each to their own, I think Yamaha got it right with the original positioning, which is where the straplocks currently reside.

The pickups have push / push coil taps on the tone pots and the tone pots operate normally upto around number 9, roll up to 10 and it becomes a no load pot completely bypassing the tone pot and sending the full raw power of the pickup to the output - it's subtle but a really useful feature.

Collection from North Lincolnshire - £1250 £1200 £1150 by bank transfer

Hand Delivery or partway meet ( within reason ) - £1300 £1250 £1200 by bank transfer

1reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    That is a beaut!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Very nice....and friendly price too ...;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    9.25lbs. That's lightweight for a Yamaha SG1000. Mines 11lbs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JGCJGC Frets: 156
    jeztone2 said:
    Wow, that's incredibly heavy, I though 9.25lbs was enough :-)  Didn't realise there could be that much variation ?

• monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Yeah these are historically mostly boat anchors! What a nice example in a time capsule!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    The SG1000/2000 are the best of the bunch - The 1800s are nowhere near the same quality and at a stupid price, which makes this a bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    My SG1500 from 1980,s is pretty good...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Mine is a 1978 - still has the tool kit with the 'pouch' plus the manual - but no brochure
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    JGC said:
    jeztone2 said:
    Wow, that's incredibly heavy, I though 9.25lbs was enough :-)  Didn't realise there could be that much variation ?

Yep. I did have one that was 12lbs a few years ago. 

Thing is on a wide strap it feels no different to my Les Paul Classic which is 9 1/2lbs. Also it’s more ergonomic and sounds better. 
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    Used to own a SG1500 and still have a SA2000. These Yamaha’s are underrated and despite the attempts of one particular seller to corner the market, can still be picked up for very fair prices as this for sale post proves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 180
    That's gorgeous! Have a bump! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    JGC said:
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

McToot said:
    JGC said:
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

I know what you mean, but the "LP Killer" tag has been around for a long long time, with much justification. I went to a store in 78 to buy an LP and walked out with a 2000...there was no comparison between the two at the time, the Yammy infinitely superior, but I think Gibson were going through a hard time QC wise then too. 
    I traded in a LP deluxe for the SG1500 back in the early 80,s

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    JGC said:
    McToot said:
    JGC said:

I know what you mean, but the "LP Killer" tag has been around for a long long time, with much justification. I went to a store in 78 to buy an LP and walked out with a 2000...there was no comparison between the two at the time, the Yammy infinitely superior, but I think Gibson were going through a hard time QC wise then too. 
    You must be a similar age to me - I brought my SG in 1978 because at the time, IMO, it destroyed any LP that was also available for me to buy or try - And I still own it today
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JGC said:
    McToot said:
    JGC said:

You must be a similar age to me - I brought my SG in 1978 because at the time, IMO, it destroyed any LP that was also available for me to buy or try - And I still own it today

Agreed, that says it all really, if it goes I'll be sorry but can't hang on to everything, need to thin the herd and play more !!
    refresh

Sunday refresher
    superb LP Killer for grabs