Zero Fret?

What's Hot
AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
Does anyone have anything good to say about them?
Any recommendations for a retrofit one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    They give a more consistent sound between open and fretted strings, can reduce friction and tuning issues, and wear less than a nut.

But you can’t retro-fit one to a guitar with a standard nut, without a lot of work - you would need to extend the fingerboard slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    They give a more consistent sound between open and fretted strings, can reduce friction and tuning issues, and wear less than a nut.

But you can’t retro-fit one to a guitar with a standard nut, without a lot of work - you would need to extend the fingerboard slightly.

With this in mind, how would a stainless steel nut work versus a stainless steel zero fret with stainless frets? 

I imagine there will be difference in tone though the increased mass of the nut. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Stewmac sells these "Zero Glide" retrofit nuts with a built-in zero fret
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials-and-supplies/nuts-and-saddles/zero-glide-nuts.html

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ThePrettyDamned said:

With this in mind, how would a stainless steel nut work versus a stainless steel zero fret with stainless frets? 

I imagine there will be difference in tone though the increased mass of the nut. 
    I think it's the hardness of the material that matters rather than the mass. It would be an absolute nightmare to cut, as well - you'd probably need a new set of nut files afterwards...

Now *that’s* clever .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Feels a bit 'scratchy' to me when bending.

They look ugly.

Not necessary if the nut is cut well.
    The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
    Feels a bit 'scratchy' to me when bending.
    Many are not crowned and polished properly, which will do that. If they are then they actually have less friction than a normal nut.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Adey said:
    It is how I try to live my life.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    One key benefit is consistent string height at the "nut"

However, it can be short lived as the zero fret wears down and things start getting buzzy.

I often use stainless for the zero, or go for a slightly higher fret if not 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
    edited July 2020
    There is company called Zero Glide who do a very similar product to the Stewmac one - needs no mods to your guitar and can easily be switched back to stock.
    Edit - I see that Zero Glide is also the Stewmac name (as above) so looks to be the same item
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    Funnily enough, I was watching a couple of YouTube clips about zero frets this week.  This guy from Highline Guitars fits an asymmetric zero fret made by a company called Sintoms in Belarus.  Because the top of the fret is off-centre and sits really close to the nut you can (just about) use it in conjunction with a regular nut.

I looked at the Sintoms website but it's not very informative (and looks like it was last updated in about 1997):

http://sintoms.com/Home.htm

Anyway, here's the Highline guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QcmXvnQw0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwC1c-s_t8
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    Adey said:
    Any recommendations for a retrofit one?
    Yes. I love zero frets. Consistent sound. Ideal string height. No binding in the nut. You just need to use stainless steel or EVO Gold fret wire
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Best basses I’ve owned have all had them. Marleaux, Status, Sandberg etc.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:

Stewmac sells these "Zero Glide" retrofit nuts with a built-in zero fret
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials-and-supplies/nuts-and-saddles/zero-glide-nuts.html

I saw this advertised and was very interested as I've been needing a nut filed down for ages but can't get it done due to the pandemic but when I read some product reviews of it there's a lot of negative ones saying it breaks easily, it isn't as "plug n play" as it makes out (i.e. needs modified to fit properly) and some people saying bending and vibrato make the strings slide up and down in the slots - the last one is what really put me off.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20586
    Best basses I’ve owned have all had them. Marleaux, Status, Sandberg etc.
    Yeah, those totally rubbish Vigiers use them too  ;)
    Adey said:
    There is company called Zero Glide who do a very similar product to the Stewmac one - needs no mods to your guitar and can easily be switched back to stock.
    Edit - I see that Zero Glide is also the Stewmac name (as above) so looks to be the same item
    Have you used the zero glide?
    WezV said:
    One key benefit is consistent string height at the "nut"

However, it can be short lived as the zero fret wears down and things start getting buzzy.

I often use stainless for the zero, or go for a slightly higher fret if not 
    Would I be right in guessing that a plastic or bone nut would wear down faster than a zero fret but be a lot easier to replace?

When I first saw the idea of a zero fret I thought it made so much sense and wondered why they're not ubiquitous or at least more common. I think one of the downsides was along those lines.
  • thegummy said:

Would I be right in guessing that a plastic or bone nut would wear down faster than a zero fret but be a lot easier to replace?

IIRC, I replaced the zero fret on one of my guitars in about five minutes.  That was including the time it took to remove the strings. 
    thegummy said:
    Adey said:
    Have you used the zero glide?
    No. I haven't used one. I am thinking of getting one though to see how if I like it. Not too expensive either.
    thegummy said:

IIRC, I replaced the zero fret on one of my guitars in about five minutes.  That was including the time it took to remove the strings. 
    Any idea what the downside to zero-frets is?

I thought I remember asking this on here once and there was a reason but maybe it's just one of these things that never took off because it wasn't on the original 50s models.

Adey said:

No. I haven't used one. I am thinking of getting one though to see how if I like it. Not too expensive either.
    I'm tempted to get one on a gamble and hope it's good.

Heard reports of it being fragile so I'll be very careful with it. Heard reports of it having sharp edges and needing modified to fit properly so will need to find those out. I just hope the strings moving in the slots during bends isn't a problem.

I can't find any figures for the number of units sold; there's always the thing where people who are unhappy with a product are many times more likely to leave a negative review than people who are happy with it are going to leave any review so if it's sold thousands the few bad reviews are nothing.

If you do get one, let us know how you get on if possible; I'll do the same if I decide to take the gamble.
    edited July 2020
    I had a look at the fitting instructions and you do need to fettle it. But that would be entirely understandable for something like this.
    I can imagine that the technically unskilled might try fitting one with no level of expertise or skill and then say it was rubbish.
    Being "reasonably" proficient at practical skills I'm hoping to be able to do a fairly decent job of it though.