Does anyone not have a favourite guitar?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
edited July 2020 in Guitar

I know some people prefer Les Paul and get along with Strat and some people love Strat and can’t get along with Les Paul or vice versa but anyone just happy with just simply good guitars?

I am lucky enough to have one of each, Les Paul, Strat, Telecaster and Custom 24. I don’t switch between them day to day but rather play one for a month and swap it out. I have been playing my Telecaster for most of the lockdown until I got the Strat and then started playing it more the last month. I went from the telecaster being my favourite to the Strat, then last night for lolz I got out my Custom 24 and out of the case it played beautifully, sounds completely different to the Strat in a very nice way, it’s own voice and all.

I just can’t pick a favourite one!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    No favourites. Whichever makes the right sound for what I am doing today is what gets used.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    Guitars are like children . . . Of course I have a favourite
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    I have 3 main electrics, could if pushed narrow to two, but not one. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    I don't have a proper favourite really, but if I was forced to pick one it would be some sort of PRS doublecut. My Cu24 is a great all-rounder, but I'd like to balance it out with a McCarty 594 at some point, and a Silver Sky.  =)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    If I could only have one guitar, my head says Tele, my heart says Strat, but otherwise I agree with @Funkfingers - it's the right tool for the right job, the right device to translate the sound in my head, which changes all the damn time. It's nice to have a bunch. :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Yep me too. Strat, Jaguar and 335 type. Single coils are my usual favourite but could have one single coil and something for variation if necessary. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Not currently.  I had a lot of guitars come and go over the last couple of years and it's just settled down to some keepers*  At the moment they're all excellent and I haven't settled on a favourite yet. 

*keepers means likely to stay more than a year or so! :lol: 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    I always have a favourite, but what it is has changed over the years depending on what band and type of music I need it for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yes, very similar here to the OP. I have many favorites, and it changes regularly.

Sometimes it's a Les Paul, sometimes it's an Ibanez JEM....pretty damn different in a lot of ways, especially the neck, but I love the variety. The JEM has been the one I've played most during lockdown.

I gig most with a Telecaster, oh except when it's an EVH Wolfgang.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1166
    As my username suggests I'm predominantly a Les Paul and Strat player, but I like Tele's too. Haven't really played other body types to prefer anything else really. Usually I'll tailor the guitar to whatever sound I want.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    It changes week by week.  At the moment it's my 335, but it might be my Strat next week.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    I've been thinking lately that I might need to get rid of some stuff. I have two electrics both rather different a Gibson the Paul all mahogany with ebony board and twin buckers and a 60s roadworn strat alder with maple neck rosewood board and single coils. I'd really struggle to choose one. The Gibson my dad got me so has a bit of sentimental value plus it's fairly unique, looks cool and sounds great, the strat is probably easier to play and more versatile though. 
    They're both on stands in my living room and it's usually just a couple of seconds to choose which one I feel like picking up at the time and they both get about the same amount of play.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    same for me - I have a Strat, Epi Sheraton and Aria archtop. I could easily live without the archtop, and since I put a Tele pickup in the Strat's bridge position it is sufficiently versatile to cover almost everything. However, I live in two locations so I need two guitars. 

As a lefty I've not had the chance to play many different guitars. All mine are fairly average and I don't know whether something I've never played might actually be my favourite guitar - having never played a proper Tele or LP type guitar, for example, in over 50 years I've spent on this planet. I suspect that a good Tele or Esquire might have the potential to become my favourite, having grown up with single coils I find that the Sheraton lacks a bit of spank. I might look into building an Esquire partscaster - as a lefty it's almost impossible to find anything interesting for sale.  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Nope, there is 'the one' for me.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    edited July 2020
    I certainly go through phases where I favour one instrument over the others, depending on what I'm playing and other less rational reasons of attraction...

However there's one guitar I would grab in the proverbial inferno - it's not the most expensive but it is the most difficult to replace. Sorry, bit of a dull answer!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    My CS-336 is the one I'd save from a fire (cats & wife first, obvs!). After that it's my Strat and Martin by a hair, and everything else close behind. I don't want to have any guitars that couldn't be my favourites at any given moment, and happily go through phases of enjoying all of the others over those first 3 mentioned. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Same.. back and forth between Strat, Jem and R8 during lockdown. If I had to keep only one it would be between the Strat and Les Paul but not sure I could choose.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Whitecat said:
    If I could only have one guitar, my head says Tele, my heart says Strat, but otherwise I agree with @Funkfingers - it's the right tool for the right job, the right device to translate the sound in my head, which changes all the damn time. It's nice to have a bunch. :)
    I'm with you 100%...

At home, I use the Masterbuilt Strat, as I'm a single coil fan.

Live and with the band, the Suhr Alt T Pro - 'cos it does everything just right =)

But in line with the thread, my actual fave guitar is a Tele... and I don't own one right now, and cant afford what I really want.

That will be one for the future !!
  • NikcNikc Frets: 638
    I totally have a favourite - My Tele or possibly my new Tokai Silver Star then again maybe my Les Paul or even my Santana PRS gerrrrrrr ;)

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1705
    I have no brand name electrics - but about 15 home builds, T and S style, P90 and dual humbucker (but not Les Paul shape). Ironically I play acoustic (Lowden) or bass (home build) live. The Lowden is my favourite guitar.