Which Jazzmaster for a fussy fecker?

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    edited July 2020
    Something like my Laquer series with full Mastery Bridge system and Mojo pickups 

https://i.imgur.com/FKoYxQJ.jpg

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1590
    chris78 said:

Yes, but it has a maple board. They should not exist on a Jazzmaster.
    I saw one of the original prototypes in New York in the late 1990's and it had a maple neck.  It also had a anodized scratchplate and looked great.  The guy who owned it had several 50's sunburst Les Pauls and was a collector, and from the feel and look, I'm sure it was legit.  I was picking up a 62 tele neck that he was selling because it had started to crack on the headstock by the low E tuner.  He was that picky, so he managed to find a pristine neck.  It was my good fortune though.  The 62 tele neck is still stable and feels great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    Freebird said:
    This black one has got a vintage radius and a rosewood fretboard if you can find one, I reckon it would look good with a tort or parchment pickguard, or even mint if you are adventurous.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-mij-inoran-jazzmaster-rosewood-fingerboard-in-black

https://www.bigtone.in.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/FD-INR-JM-01.jpg
    I'm not a fan of tort on anything except white/cream. The gold on black looks lush though! Mint would be cool too. Need to budget for a full-length posing mirror...
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    I note that your 'yes' column includes vintage look. The Ultra has modern machineheads instead of Kluson-style if that makes a difference.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    edited July 2020
    Keefy said:
    Freebird said:
    This black one has got a vintage radius and a rosewood fretboard if you can find one, I reckon it would look good with a tort or parchment pickguard, or even mint if you are adventurous.
    I'm not a fan of tort on anything except white/cream. The gold on black looks lush though! Mint would be cool too. Need to budget for a full-length posing mirror...
    I was thinking brown tort like this..

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Pickguard-Suitable-for-Jazzmaster-p/jazzmaspg-std.htm

Although mint doesn't look too bad against the black!

https://www.pickguardplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/jazzmaster-blacktop-1.jpg
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    60s lacquer model all day. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    62 thinskin 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 405
    Keep an eye out for AVRIs, too - I have one and love it. Might be worth joining offsetguitars.com - their Classifieds has a fair bit of UK/European presence.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 401
    I too am looking for a Jazzmaster, and the Ultra has some design issues for me...the jack socket has gaps where it doesn't fit to the body curve, noiseless pups are ughh.
    Just my opinion.
    Fender seem to miss the mark on these for me.
    There seems few CS s/hand around, but thin skin Mex best value with upgrade options.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1091
    Like @Loobs said. 62 thin skin. 

If you don't mind relics the roadworn JMs are also pretty great. 

JonHosker said:
    Thin skin Mex best value with upgrade options.
    Are these current models?
  • I may sell mine later in the year as a friend has offered me a crazy deal on an original 1964 JM. This is CS with the super stable RSD bridge you can only get on those models. I will concede that the colour is divisive though! :) Here it is in action - 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I may sell mine later in the year as a friend has offered me a crazy deal on an original 1964 JM. This is CS with the super stable RSD bridge you can only get on those models. I will concede that the colour is divisive though! :) Here it is in action - 
    The Jazzmaster is unique in that it carries most colour schemes well. I would put that down to the design of the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    Is the Mascis SQ JM off the table, or the Mascis Sig , higher up the chain
    I may sell mine later in the year as a friend has offered me a crazy deal on an original 1964 JM. This is CS with the super stable RSD bridge you can only get on those models. I will concede that the colour is divisive though! :) Here it is in action - 

Aargh my eyes! I like the pink but christ that tort!
    Is the Mascis SQ JM off the table, or the Mascis Sig , higher up the chain
    I tried the Squier once, it was OK. Didn’t realise there was a Fender Mascis sig.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    sweepy said:
    Think that may have been my old guitar? Can I ask, did you buy it on the forum?

cheers 
    Well I have made my purchase and it is stashed away until my birthday (just before Christmas). Mrs Keefy has made me order a nice case for it though ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15270
    Phew. My ex-H7 white AVRI ‘65 is safe. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1193
    edited October 2020
    sweepy said:
    Something like my Laquer series with full Mastery Bridge system and Mojo pickups 
    what's wrong with the AV65 pickups? I'm genuinely curious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15270
    IMHO, Fender AV65 pickups sound good but are just a tad too polite. The Duncan Antiquities sound that bit meatier whilst remaining clear.

An Am Pro I know replaced its stock pickups with Curtis Novak (JM-V?). They sounded good but the guitar was too “modern” for my tastes. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.