Suggestion on the Tributes thread

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited July 2020 in Help & Feedback
I and a number of other folks posted Peter Green threads into the Gear > Guitar section last night and that obviously caused some frustration with the modmins

I think the issues here were twofold

1) Nowhere obvious section for a thread of a very famous guitarist passing (you have to really look to find Chat > Off Topic > Tributes.)
      I'm on here a lot and I see that I didn't even know it existed -  It seems I'm not the only one
     Sub-folders don't appear on all pages and browsers, so it's not a gimme that people will be as aware of it, as the folders that get the main traffic

2) Because threads were being moved and deleted, it created a loop. If there's 40-odd Users on here at any given time, then 23 is a decent enough percentage to suggest we can't all be total numpties

I'm a site admin on a number of my company's applications, so believe me I get the frustration caused when multiple people do the same well intended but stupid things, that requires clean up work and setup tweaks

In that context, please take the below suggestion in the constructive way it which it's intended

Peter Green was a pretty big name, but there are others who are even better known. Statistically speaking at least, many may not be with us in 10 years time (..apart from Keef, Keef will of course outlive us all)

Just like the passing of a Senior Royal, some of these guys have a profile which transfers over into the general public consciousness. They may well find themselves looking for an outlet for very genuine grief and in some cases, they may want to join and post on a forum where they haven't previously.

Clearly that presents both a challenge and an opportunity to the forum 

So how about re-naming Tribute 'Guitarist / Musician Tributes' and moveing it up to the top level of Chat, to nip any further issues in the bud?

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looking at the view count the tribute section is quite a dusty wasteland, so it’s no real wonder a major name in the guitar world passing generated threads in the “wrong” place. 

Maybe this incident will help to popularise it, but then we need people dying for that to catch on, so it’s a bit of a double edged sword!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Let me reiterate - the reason for the tributes section coming into existence in the first place was simply a large number of members asked for Tribute threads to be taken out of the main on topic forum areas as they were cluttering them up. 

IIRC it started with a plethora of Bowie threads. 

The idea posted in the OP is one for @digitalscream to mull over and we certainly aren’t averse to suggested changes.

However, my beef yesterday was that some members simply weren’t reading anything. At one point there were 3 threads on the subject in Guitar - and one in Tributes. The fact that there were 3 in Guitar meant that 2 people hadn’t even bothered to look to see if the topic had been posted about already, but piled in and started their own threads. 

Any change of name or anything else to any sub forum won’t stop people from being lazy and not actually bothering to check if a topic is already being discussed. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    If you view the forum via Recent Discussions this is a non issue, Tributes appear with everything else. If you choose not to view the forum in this way and just go into your normal categories perhaps accept that if it’s something out of the ordinary happens you may have to have a quick search for it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    If you view the forum via Recent Discussions this is a non issue, Tributes appear with everything else. If you choose not to view the forum in this way and just go into your normal categories perhaps accept that if it’s something out of the ordinary happens you may have to have a quick search for it. 
    Yes, tributes appears in Recent Discussions by default - so they will be there unless you actively opt out of having them appear in RD...
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Is it possible (for people who dont use the Recent Discussions tab) to maybe show that a thread was there but has NOW been moved? On an old forum there used to be this to show there had been a "Tribute to Famous dead person" and an arrow showing it had been moved (but threads can be deleted without a trace as well). 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    Some folks hide OT because it is the only way to also block P&E, and it means Tributes gets blocked too.
    If we took P&E out from under OT as a subforum and allowed people to block it by itself then OT and Tributes would be visible in Recent Discussions.

Or Tributes could be taken out from under OT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    Is it possible (for people who dont use the Recent Discussions tab) to maybe show that a thread was there but has NOW been moved? On an old forum there used to be this to show there had been a "Tribute to Famous dead person" and an arrow showing it had been moved (but threads can be deleted without a trace as well). 

No, we can only do that for threads that are merged as far as I know. I’d have to try it. 
    Jetfire said:

Turns out you can! And I didn’t realise - I’ve made a test post in Off Topic and moved it to Help and Feedback so you can see both the redirect link and the moved thread.

I’ll delete it later. 

I think the modmins need to have a discussion about using redirect links.. 
    I think for significant tributes it’s a worthwhile suggestion to leave a redirect link.. 
    octatonic said:
    Some folks hide OT because it is the only way to also block P&E, and it means Tributes gets blocked too.
    If we took P&E out from under OT as a subforum and allowed people to block it by itself then OT and Tributes would be visible in Recent Discussions.

I’ve hidden PandE but still get OT and Tributes in Recent Discussions.  

octatonic said:

Yep that’s perfectly possible to do..
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    We could just kill off that forum ... but ..... we'd have nowhere to tell people about it ....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    octatonic said:

How?
    I can't do it on Mac (Safari).
    Showing all Categories I can only hide OT.
    Looks like I was wrong about tributes being under OT.
    For some reason I thought it was.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26553
    Right, then, two things based on stuff in this thread...

1 - I've moved Tributes to be a category directly under "Chat" (ie so it's no longer part of Off Topic).

2 - The suggestion of leaving redirect links is OK, but we need to think about how it works. For example, leaving a redirect on every thread wouldn't have achieved anything - that would just mean 24 redirect threads cluttering things up and one actual thread in Tributes. One redirect would've been a good idea, though.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah right, that explains why I thought it was.
    Cheers Lee.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696

1 - I've moved Tributes to be a category directly under "Chat" (ie so it's no longer part of Off Topic).

2 - The suggestion of leaving redirect links is OK, but we need to think about how it works. For example, leaving a redirect on every thread wouldn't have achieved anything - that would just mean 24 redirect threads cluttering things up and one actual thread in Tributes. One redirect would've been a good idea, though.
    Just leave one there, and delete the rest is what used to happen on the other forum.  Just means that someone doing a quick scan could see it. 
    edited July 2020

I agree - a single redirect for the first move is sensible - after that it’s delete.. (edit - or merge)
    And voila - there’s now a redirect link in Guitar...

Let’s see how it works out.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Maybe I'm just on here too often, but I spot the Tributes threads easily in the Recent Discussions.

Unless it's somebody obscure, it's likely safe to assume that somebody else has beaten me to opening one up.
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

How?
    I can't do it on Mac (Safari).
    Showing all Categories I can only hide OT.
    Looks like I was wrong about tributes being under OT.
    For some reason I thought it was.
    I can’t get it to do it now since Tributes has been moved, but I definitely don’t have PandE come up in my Recent Discussions whilst I do have the rest of OT.May just have been able to do it on an earlier version.