Where are they all going??

What's Hot
I live in Southampton and for the last 2 days the M3/M27 heading south west has been solid all morning and then solid back again all afternoon. I mean are peoples lives currently so dull that they'll happily sit in their cars for several hours, spewing toxic fumes out the back as they go, just so they can spend a cramped hour or 2 sitting on a crappy beach covered in other peoples shite?!?

Last time I checked we're still in a pandemic! :p
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I’m going round to see the rest of my family in Manchester. Oh, wait....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly. The a55 was chocka from 12 noon to 6pm yesterday, all going into Wales. as i work there i had an absolute nightmare trying to get across the county.

Expect a big spike in Covid-19.     It's all "i want" "i want" these days with people. so selfish.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Looking at some of the pics yesterday and unbelievable - I fully appreciate and understand a steady and controlled easing of restrictions - I've been to the pub 3/4 times since they have re-opened but a) went early doors and b) picked one with out door seat/table, so certainly feel safe and no threat at all - But some of those pics look stupid

Part of me says 'shut the beaches and other beauty spots' for now - But then you realise we are in peak holiday period and many UK guest houses, camp sites, hotels, holiday homes are full - So how can you have controlled visits to such venues when so many are on holiday + what else are they meant to do if Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Lake District + Cotswold etc is now open

Spoke to a friend yesterday whose wife is a teacher and they were looking for a 'holiday cottage' in the UK but more remote and can't find anything during August
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    From the sound of what was on the news last night, they're going to sit in a traffic jam for a couple of hours until they get to the coast, find a policeman stopping them going into the car park, then turn round and sit in a traffic jam for a couple of hours on the way back.

They'd be better off just lying in their back gardens and getting a horrendously overpriced burger and ice cream delivered...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    Man, we went to friends near Windsor yesterday afternoon and we have to drive from south London and, my God, it was jammed absolutely everywhere. Incredibly busy. 

We also just managed to book a few days away in a cottage and finding anywhere to stay was a nightmare.  

Everyone is desperate for a change of scene and who can blame them. But it’s hard to see how the R rate won’t kick up at this rate. 

• Torbay is swarming with people 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Just row your own boat and keep your distance....it’s every man for himself,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Took a 20 minute drive to west bay last night for fish and chips at the harbour and came back hungry. It was rammed - people spilling into the road as the pavements and harbourside was so busy.
    Without sounding like the league of gentlemen , they weren’t local and most of them had no interest in social distancing at all . Was bloody depressing 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    What I'm hearing on this thread is lots of people going out and then complaining of other people going out. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I live in Southampton and for the last 2 days the M3/M27 heading south west has been solid all morning and then solid back again all afternoon. I mean are peoples lives currently so dull that they'll happily sit in their cars for several hours, spewing toxic fumes out the back as they go, just so they can spend a cramped hour or 2 sitting on a crappy beach covered in other peoples shite?!?

Last time I checked we're still in a pandemic! :p
    man drives on motorway complains about others using the motorway????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    What I'm hearing on this thread is lots of people going out and then complaining of other people going out. 
    My moan was more about the lack of awareness / couldntgiveashitedness over social distancing . I get the fact people need to get away but the queue for the chippie was a scrum and there’s no excuse for that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    I have moved from Bournemouth (Southbourne) to New Forest in January and despite my love for the coast and beaches (not sure what you mean by "crappy" - its beautiful and sandy here) every bank holiday or weekend in season is a nightmare with people from all over country coming down, litter, swarm and create immense traffic. This is when i do NOT go to the beach. Forest is the same though- all go the sudden McDonald's empty boxes and plastic is all over the place. 
    I used to say that those people behave like animals... but thats derogatory towards animals...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    Beaches are crap anyway, windy, sandy, noisey, fuck all to do except get sand in your face and sit there all bored, fuck that.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I live in a dormitory village just outside Christchurch. The A35 through the New Forest has been busy all day today. Southbourne had no available parking this morning - on the coast nor on the high street - but we managed to find a "30mins no return" space so we could do the shopping we had planned and then ran for home. Cafes seemed busy but socially sensible. I cycled into Christchurch at lunchtime and it wasn't too bad on the high street or along the riverside - but the traffic going through to Bournemouth was still heavy. According to the new app the council has put together, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole is full. 

TBH, in season, we don't travel very far at weekends because you just get stuck in traffic with everyone else, so why bother. I'll motorcycle rather than drive if I can. I'm still enough of an ex-Londoner to want to filter past stationary traffic rather than queue up like a lemming. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2020
    It’s a pain in the arse around here, as soon as the sun is out, droves of DFL’s steam down to get to Palm Bay, Botany Bay and Kingsgate beaches. There’s no car parks, so they simply dump their cars wherever they can, even blocking peoples drives in some cases. I’ve seen videos of a few of them driving on the pavements because the beach roads are gridlocked. They leave shit and piss everywhere, leave piles of rubbish behind which the locals and the council end up clearing up, and provide no benefit to the local economy.

So, if this is the kind of thing Cornwall residents have to put up with, I’m not surprised some have put up signs telling tourists to fuck off back where they came from. I drove past Margate beach earlier, it was rammed, and no doubt the council taxpayers will be footing the bill for removing the tons of rubbish they leave there, yet again.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    It’s a pain in the arse around here, as soon as the sun is out, droves of DFL’s steam down to get to Palm Bay, Botany Bay and Kingsgate beaches. There’s no car parks, so they simply dump their cars wherever they can, even blocking peoples drives in some cases. I’ve seen videos of a few of them driving on the pavements because the beach roads are gridlocked. They leave shit and piss everywhere, leave piles of rubbish behind which the locals and the council end up clearing up, and provide no benefit to the local economy.

So, if this is the kind of thing Cornwall residents have to put up with, I’m not surprised some have put up signs telling tourists to fuck off back where they came from. I drove past Margate beach earlier, it was rammed, and no doubt the council taxpayers will be footing the bill for removing the tons of rubbish they leave there, yet again.
    I have relatives in Ramsgate and they’ve had visitors urinating in their front garden. Not what they were hoping for when they moved to the seaside. 

I suspect this Discussion needs moving to Coronavirus where it can sit alongside Emp Fab’s worries about civil disorder as, really, this is civil disorder as so few people are giving a shit what the authorities are saying. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    I have relatives in Ramsgate and they’ve had visitors urinating in their front garden.

I wouldn't invite them round a second time.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s basically like it was in the 70s more people visiting uk seaside than going overseas now we are in a crisis ,when I was a kid resorts were packed more than they have been for 30 or 40 years ,it is bound to benefit the local economy ,  so the general public are animal slobs, I remember people being just as bad years ago, shitting on the beach, shitting in the urinals in the pub ,littering , what can you do, you can’t shoot them . The great unwashed want to get away from the dreary lives they lead just for a couple of days , perhaps we have failed them if they have turned out like this with no manners, and scant disregard for others , but they do come to visit and pay extortionate car park fee’s  buy overpriced food and drink and other sundry goods  ,just to escape from the everyday monotony for a couple of days . Can we deny them this basic pleasure just because they are sufficiently uneducated to behave themselves. Perhaps we need to address the root of the problem whatever it is . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    It’s basically like it was in the 70s more people visiting uk seaside than going overseas now we are in a crisis ,.... 
    It’ll be a true once-in-a-lifetime holiday for them. I mean, if you go for a holiday in Margate now when you’re used to St Tropez, you’re not likely to go back, are you.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    we are near Bude on the north coast of cornwall and enjoying sitting in the garden looking over the Atlantic and TOTALLY avoiding going anywhere
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom