Where are they all going??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Local knowledge goes far. I spent Thursday and yesterday afternoon having a great time on my local beach with the kids, had it to ourselves. We’re in Snowdonia. A couple of miles down the coast in both directions, hundreds were crowding onto popular beaches, car parks full, long long queues of traffic. More then has ever been seen before. Crazy times. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yess was addicted to Ch4 reruns of prisoner around 83
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I went to Southampton on Friday to collect a bass; the M3 was jammed, so I went an alternate route.
    I sent the chap a message saying I'd be there around 2 and I arrived at 2:06, so that wasn't bad on a 50 mile journey.
    I then popped across to Southsea to go to a couple of guitar shops and there was a bit of local traffic.
    I did decide to go to the sea-front, but it was busy, so I went further out and it was OK.
    The road back was alright, apart from some 40mph-everywhere drivers (ie. 60 limit = drive at 40, 30 limit, drive at 40).
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited August 2020
    Im in Dorset, about 3 miles from Lulworth Cove/Durdle door.  Our village have been impossible to drive through morning and evening due to people heading to the beaches.  Its worse than Bestival. 

• Plenty of wide open spaces, beautiful views and wild swimming spots available up here in Yorkshire... don't really get cramming everyone onto an already crowded beach myself. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I’ve been working on site again recently, for the first time since lockdown started. Had to go to Isleworth a few weeks ago, that involved a complete circuit of the M25 and I was pleasantly surprised at how little traffic there was (and then also at being able to find a space in a hospital car park at 2pm).

Last week I was working in Chelsea but I drove as I don’t really feel happy about public transport yet. Traffic was mostly okay, but it was super busy a couple of nights, one in particular. I tried not to moan too much as I was very aware of the irony of “man moans about the number of cars while sitting in traffic in his car”.

It’s always busy around here: Essex in general seems to have a lot of traffic, and Southend (especially on a hot day) is just gridlock. I live a little north of the town itself so I can generally avoid it, but even so it still gets crazy busy sometimes. I’m going to Edinburgh this afternoon to work up there for a few days... I’m very much hoping that once I get away from Essex the number of cars around will decrease hugely.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    phil_b said:
    I live in Southampton and for the last 2 days the M3/M27 heading south west has been solid all morning and then solid back again all afternoon. I mean are peoples lives currently so dull that they'll happily sit in their cars for several hours, spewing toxic fumes out the back as they go, just so they can spend a cramped hour or 2 sitting on a crappy beach covered in other peoples shite?!?

Last time I checked we're still in a pandemic! :p
    man drives on motorway complains about others using the motorway????
    Going to work dude, how would you do it?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    It’s a pain in the arse around here, as soon as the sun is out, droves of DFL’s steam down to get to Palm Bay, Botany Bay and Kingsgate beaches. There’s no car parks, so they simply dump their cars wherever they can, even blocking peoples drives in some cases. I’ve seen videos of a few of them driving on the pavements because the beach roads are gridlocked. They leave shit and piss everywhere, leave piles of rubbish behind which the locals and the council end up clearing up, and provide no benefit to the local economy.

So, if this is the kind of thing Cornwall residents have to put up with, I’m not surprised some have put up signs telling tourists to fuck off back where they came from. I drove past Margate beach earlier, it was rammed, and no doubt the council taxpayers will be footing the bill for removing the tons of rubbish they leave there, yet again.
    I have relatives in Ramsgate and they’ve had visitors urinating in their front garden. Not what they were hoping for when they moved to the seaside. 

I suspect this Discussion needs moving to Coronavirus where it can sit alongside Emp Fab’s worries about civil disorder as, really, this is civil disorder as so few people are giving a shit what the authorities are saying. 
    As far as I know, this situation is the norm, however the coronavirus has probably increased the influx somewhat. The residents of the roads in question have been moaning about it for years, and finally the council has initiated an open consultation reference parking restrictions.

So, the outcome is likely to be residents paying for year-round permits for themselves and their visitors, cos the council won’t be dishing anything out for free. And, as expected, some of them are now bitching about the possibility of having to pay. I’ve walked up and down those roads, witnessed the dickhead car parking first hand, and I reckon a traffic warden could justify a month’s wages in parking tickets pretty much every day. The council is going to have its cake and get to eat it, both from the residents, and the dickhead car parkers.

• westfordwestford Frets: 553
    We were on the Isle of Wight on holiday last week. This was the nearest beach on a busy day.

The last few years we’ve been to Dorset and we do love it, but I’m quite glad we didn’t book a holiday there this year.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Having spent holidays in Devon/Cornwall staying with family as a teenager I fully understand the chaos that crowds and traffic bring. Even now my cousin had a 20 Min drive 9 months of the year to get to the office, it becomes and hour and a quarter during silly season - each way!
    On a related note, we went to visit Beth Chatos Garden in Essex on Saturday, pre booked slots/tickets. The road to Clacton/Frinton was chocka as usual. The nice thing about the gardens was how polite and middle class everyone was and how social distancing etc. was just not a problem. The thing is that if you live in a flat in a big town and your usual ameneties are the sicial club and the pub you are going to grasp at anything as a bit of relief from the monotony. If you live in nice detached house with a garden you are likely to be more able to resist the tempation to go to the seaside. I feel I cannot always judge others actions so harshly because I don't know thier stories. That said there are some pricks about.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Guess it's M4/M5 for Dartmoor rather than than via Stonehenge then.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Personally, I wouldn't make the assumption that traffic jams are comprised of people heading off to catch Covid-19. It's actually really easy to socially distance on a beach until a certain point, after all - it's well ventilated, and UV light from the sun will do a good job of killing viruses. If they have holiday homes and intend to stay in their bubble it's not really much higher risk.

And you also have to factor in the psychological benefit of taking a chance to go somewhere while the weather's good. If the country locks down again going into the autumn, with the nights drawing in and rain every day, the memory of that one happy trip to the seaside might become significant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    Sorry but England need to get a grip - No deaths in Scotland for 18 days or so and 18 new cases today. I was out today walking and everyone stuck to the rules / 100% face masks on. Whats the point in having fun for a day if it leads to another lockdown. Perhaps if the news reported deaths per country the message might get out
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    sw67 said:
    Sorry but England need to get a grip - No deaths in Scotland for 18 days or so and 18 new cases today. I was out today walking and everyone stuck to the rules / 100% face masks on. Whats the point in having fun for a day if it leads to another lockdown. Perhaps if the news reported deaths per country the message might get out
    LOL:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53627801

• sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    Nitefly said:
    sw67 said:

I saw this on the news - wankers. I would shut that pub down and any other that has the same problem. That said my comment was based on what the general figures show along with evidence from guys at work who travel all over the uk. 
  • sw67 said:

I'm working in Edinburgh this week and it's quite striking to me that a lot more people are wearing masks up here than around where I live
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Me and the Better Half went down to Somerset/Devon/Dorset area for 4 nights from last Thursday. A bit of traffic on the approach to roundabouts (which seemed a specific Devon problem as it only occurred on roads in Devon) but otherwise was not really any traffic to speak of.

We stayed in a place just outside Yeovil as a sort of gateway area to various coastal areas as we were finding 4 days in a caravan near the sea was coming in at over a grand, which seemed a lot. Yeovil itself was like a scene from Shaun of the Dead but obviously we didn't go there to look at a crap town, so instead we went to:

• Beer in Devon - nice town, bit busy but no more than I'd expect on any nice summer day in the school hols. Shops were open, pub was open and looked pleasant enough (I didn't have a beer in Beer though) and only a short walk to find an area on the beach away from others and was a nice hubbub of chatting and kids laughing etc.
    • Woolacombe - supposedly the hottest day of the year, but was covered in low dark cloud all day and i was sat in a fleece on the beach. The Better Half wanted a sandy beach and despite my protestations against travelling so far to get to one, she was determined. Very busy, looked a bit of a trashy town, toilets were disgusting. Had to walk a long time down the beach to get enough space really. We would have gone straight back from there but we were funneled into a car park that would have cost us £5 to get out again (or £10 if we stayed past 1pm) so we just lumped it and wrapped up warm. Terrible place, nobheads playing music etc. Went to somewhere near Saunton for fish and chips afterwards, intending to eat them on the beach, but only realised after we'd paid for them that the wait time was about 90 mins...and it wasn't even nice fish and chips really to be honest, had expected more from the reviews I'd read. That day was our worst and probably closest to the horror stories they show in BBC news, the shop staff were quite rude but probably because all the people waiting were also rude in return. Won't go back regardless of Covid, awful place.
    • Burton Bradstock/Hive Beach - nice car park, nice lunch, not much of queue to eat, no more than I'd expect on any nice day in summer hols. Walked up the Jurassic Coast a bit and had the place to ourselves within about 5 mins walk. Admittedly with the risk of certain death if the cliffs decided to fall. Found some fossils. Got trapped by tide coming in so had to walk back up to the next beach where there was a busy campsite, then walk back along the cliff tops instead. Campsite was busy but beach still had loads of room even right in front of it.
    • Charmouth fossil centre bit - we went there to look for more fossils and to identify what we'd found. Fairly busy but easy to distance amongst the fossil hunters. Really shit cafe, disgusting food and overpriced (and a long wait!) but it was starting to rain so I couldn't be bothered to stand outside getting wet. But generally all very dignified and distanced still.
    So I think it depends where you go. We deliberately didn't bother with Lulworth or Durdle Door, wouldn't want to go to Weymouth or Bournemouth anyway. Unfortunately I think the British public (English public, sorry) basically don't have the strength of thought to think any further than the end of their nose. So they'd see on the news "nice day Friday", they think "ugg...beach...sand....Bournemouth....drive there" and that's about it

Interesting that the media (BBC in particular) hyped up Friday as a really nice day all week, then on the day itself were ready and waiting to take their photos trying to show everybody all close together at the nicest part of the day?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    sw67 said:
    Nitefly said:
    sw67 said:

I saw this on the news - wankers. I would shut that pub down and any other that has the same problem. That said my comment was based on what the general figures show along with evidence from guys at work who travel all over the uk. 
    @sw67 to be fair they have now closed the bar for 14 days, after 2 staff tested positive.  Wee Kranky seems mighty pissed off about it!

Around here (Wigan, Gtr Manchester) I've been in 2 supermarkets today, and only saw 1 customer without face covering, so it must be regional variations, as discussed above.

Keep well.