Music - What grinds your gears?

What's Hot

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Bad mastering.

Exemplified by the loudness wars, this is really just contempt for the fans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    @cirrus absolutely bang-on there!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Totally agree with Cirrus re fadeouts. Not only are they a perfectly legitimate and musically valid way of ending a track, from a practical point of view they lend themselves to broadcasting. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Music that hits the buffers from the off and has no dynamics, no excuse not even in pop songs. My kids have been listening to Katy Perry, possible the best (worst) example of this.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Singers who demonstrate their incredible vocal control by embellishing every single note instead of singing me a goddamn tune.
    Is this what I call "Warbling"?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is maybe a comment on guitarists more than music but I (generally) hate music that's written by guitarists, for guitarists. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 625
    Glasto anthems.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Whiny singers. For example, I want to love the Smashing Pumpkins and I think they had some really great songs. I've tried, but I can't do it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited August 2020
    • Fadeouts. There's a reason Sorrow live is better, it ends properly.
    • Guest vocalists whose sole contribution is to go "oh yeah" "uha" "that's right" etc.
    • The millennial whoop
    • Eight/nine-string metal riffing. Leave some space for your bass player please. If your riff isn't heavy on a standard tuned 6-string, it's probably a shit riff.
    • Metal where you can't hear the bass guitar
    • That bit in metal videos where the screen shakes like Saving Private Ryan just because someone plays a heavy riff
    • The assumption (often by the BBC) that Glasto covers "all" music. 
    • Pop singers who cram as many notes as possible and at great length into just one word
    • The crappy backing tracks some guitar instrumentalists create instead of writing complete songs. Love Satch, but his early work is very guilty of this. 
    • Queen
    • Yes I'll join everyone else with songs that have been John Lewissed
    • Metal gatekeeping - yes the singer is a girl, no that doesn't mean it's "just" pop music, fuck off
    • The lack of widespread recognition of the brilliance of Adrian Smith.  
    • The shouty bloke from the B52s. What's that about?
    • That Ronnie James Dio is dead

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4487
    Singers who demonstrate their incredible vocal control by embellishing every single note instead of singing me a goddamn tune.
    Not heard it called that, but this, basically:
    • Pop singers who cram as many notes as possible and at great length into just one word

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    edited August 2020
    Whiny singers. For example, I want to love the Smashing Pumpkins and I think they had some really great songs. I've tried, but I can't do it.
    ... Fair enough. But haven't you posted previously about loving Muse? Matt Bellamy is about as whiny as they come...

(apologies if wrong) 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    • Queen
    not quite fair . It is the hype around Queen that is the problem and this is a recent development .

Listening to Queen in the 80's when they were not so fashionable was a different experience.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Not heard it called that, but this, basically:

I felt I was above posting on a Grind Your Gears discussion but I have to say absolutely this ^, the X Factor type of singing where you can ignore the melody as long as you throw in a big note at the end. 
    When I went to see Ball and Boe ( hey, I had free tickets) what I got was popular entertainer Michael Ball doing this all evening, I don’t think he knew the tune to anything, and Alfie Boe actually singing melodies - I think I’d previously lost faith that there’s anyone left alive who can actually carry a tune. Not that I’m particularly bothered about a singer needing to be all that technically competent, I’m fine with a Lemmy or a Lightnin Hopkins or even a Rex Harrison, but it’s that kind of faux melodic singing  that becomes so wearing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited August 2020
    buskers with PA's that are just to loud

the annoyance grows the more mediocre the performance
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    I didn't begin to find Billy Corgan's whiny voice irritating until the quality of his songwriting fell off a cliff.  Now I find him unlistenable.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    Maybe because I'm old but it's songs that try to be "exciting" and high energy. Or singers with way too much energy who try to make a song sound exciting by shouting and screaming "wow" and "yeah" all over the place. Eg the datsuns, the hives, hush by kula shaker. Hard to handle by black crowes. Annoying, just calm down mate.

It's a fine line. I can tolerate some high energy stuff but a lot of it is poorly done.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    Grumpyrocker said:
    Well said.  And in the unlikely event they do feature a band I like, it'll be about 30 seconds and the presenters will say something sarcastic and smirk about it.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Grumpyrocker said:
    Well said.  And in the unlikely event they do feature a band I like, it'll be about 30 seconds and the presenters will say something sarcastic and smirk about it.
    Exactly. A band with the gain above 12 o'clock will receive some snide comments about noisy heavy metal, despite the band being nothing of the sort.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I don't understand the problem some members have with the band Queen.  Brilliant shows, amazing front man, music that has lasted and still sounds good.  What is there not to like?  Or at least not to hate?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited August 2020
    I hate the Ibanez lead guitar tone.

I hate modern metal production.