Used helix v pod go

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
Thinking of a new toy to play with in lockdown. 
Pod Go looks great value but fleabay has a few Used Helix LTs on at the moment. 
Has anyone played both? 
Any opinions either way?
i’m a home player these days, so just looking for something i can play along to backing tracks via headphones. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess it depends how big the price differential is between the used LT and the new Pod Go. Both will be more than adequate for what you're looking for, though the LT will have a few of the more fancy models and routing options available, if that's something you think you'd need.

Buying new obvs you'd get the safety net of a manufacturer warranty for piece of mind, though the Helix units do seem to pretty darned rugged and reliable from what I've seen on the interwebs.

• Depends on your needs really, but if in doubt I’d go for the LT as they’re a bit more flexible in how you set them up etc
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I had the same thing and got an LT as it has twice the DSP.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I would go for the LT
  • I have both. They're great, but if I was to only have one, it'd be the LT without question. It's got twice the horsepower, and although the Pod Go is well made, the LT is definitely built to stand up to more rough treatment.

The LT also has a full digital out, so if you were to say buy a Powercab in future, you unlock all the potential of that unit too.

However, if you're after simplicity and just playing along with headphones at home the Pod is a very solid choice. That's exactly how I use mine.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    mikenetic said:
    I have both. They're great, but if I was to only have one, it'd be the LT without question. It's got twice the horsepower, and although the Pod Go is well made, the LT is definitely built to stand up to more rough treatment.

The LT also has a full digital out, so if you were to say buy a Powercab in future, you unlock all the potential of that unit too.

However, if you're after simplicity and just playing along with headphones at home the Pod is a very solid choice. That's exactly how I use mine.
    Simplicity has a lot in its favour. The helix is probably, no certainly, overkill for what i’ll be doing but when has that ever stopped us?
    I watched a few pod go videos today, the andertons one looked and sounded really good. 
    I’ll do a liittle more research before making the jump. 

Do either of them come with recording software or would i still need to buy a recording app?
    Also does anyone play though a powered speaker?
    any advice gratefully received :) 
  • you don't need to buy a recording app.. Cakewalk by Bandlabs is free for starters..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 776
    BlueStrat said:

I’ve just bought the HeadRush FRFR-108 for home use with the Pod Go. It sounds pretty good in the very limited use I’ve given it so far.

Rich31k said:
    BlueStrat said:

I’ve just bought the HeadRush FRFR-108 for home use with the Pod Go. It sounds pretty good in the very limited use I’ve given it so far.

Thanks for the tip - just back ordered one! By the time it arrives in a couple of weeks i hope to have something to plug in to it :)

• If you're still looking, just seen this pop up on the classifieds...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/187283/fs-helix-lt-with-flight-case

Seems a cracking bargain given it comes with a flight case. Bet it won't hang around too long!  :)
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    If you buy a Helix used, can you still get the discount on Helix Native or does that only apply to the original registered user?
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Jeremiah said:
    If you buy a Helix used, can you still get the discount on Helix Native or does that only apply to the original registered user?
    I did, but the original owner didn't claim it, so might be due to that
  • Jeremiah said:
    As far as I know the discount code is one-time based on the hardware serial number. So you need to know if it has been redeemed. 
    Rich31k said:
    BlueStrat said:

@RichK31 - thanks for the rip on this, it just arrived even though it was on back order so was expecting a couple of weeks delay. 
    I’ll run it through my GT100 to give it a try out. 

Question on the Pod Go / Helix - to play along with a backing track would i plug my phone into the fx unit or directly into the  speaker?
  • BlueStrat said:
    Rich31k said:
    BlueStrat said:

@RichK31 - thanks for the rip on this, it just arrived even though it was on back order so was expecting a couple of weeks delay. 

Question on the Pod Go / Helix - to play along with a backing track would i plug my phone into the fx unit or directly into the  speaker?
    With the Pod Go you can change the FX Return jack plug to act as an 'aux in'. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the FX loop at the same time, and you'd need a 3.5mm jack plug for the cable from the phone.

I'm guessing there's probably an aux in in the proper Helix? Not 100% sure though, as never had one! 
  • BlueStrat said:
    Rich31k said:
    BlueStrat said:

With the Pod Go you can change the FX Return jack plug to act as an 'aux in'. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the FX loop at the same time, and you'd need a 3.5mm jack plug for the cable from the phone.

I'm guessing there's probably an aux in in the proper Helix? Not 100% sure though, as never had one! 
    No, it’s the same deal on the helix, you have to use one of the returns as in aux in. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I'm thinking the Pod Go could be a good way to dip my toe in Helix waters.

If I want to go for the LT I'll have to sell my pedal board to fund it and then if I don't get on with it i'm screwed, are the available effects on the Go the same as the LT? Is there a tonal benefit to the LT or is it just power, flexibility and build quality?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    I've heard of people buying the Helix and returning it so they can get the discount code for Native. A friend of mine found out his was used. I think that the company still honoured it though. 
  • I'm thinking the Pod Go could be a good way to dip my toe in Helix waters.

If I want to go for the LT I'll have to sell my pedal board to fund it and then if I don't get on with it i'm screwed, are the available effects on the Go the same as the LT? Is there a tonal benefit to the LT or is it just power, flexibility and build quality?

Most of the FX are the same. The main one that's missing is the 'Tone Sovereign' (ie King of Tone), but you still get the 'Heir Apparent' (is Prince of Tone) so it's not a major sticking point. There are a few others missing, but can't remember off the top of my head. I don't think they're ones I'd use much anyway, so never really missed them.

Biggest thing that's missing IMO is the lack of the ability to create split pathways and/or run multiple amps in the same preset. I had the Stomp and have replicated most of my favourite presets in the Go, but there are some that I haven't been able to recreate. Especially bass presets, as a lot of the better bass presets I used to use had split pathways in the signal path.

That's not enough to put me off though, I'm still pleased I traded the Stomp in for a Pod Go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom